• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

If Uber and Lyft only knew...

rkozy

I've preemptively cancelled so many rides because of the abuse their ratings system can invite. There are instances where a passenger commits an infraction that puts the driver in a nearly impossible situation from the start. Yesterday, I had a passenger wanting me to pick them up in a very large park along a hiking trail where no vehicle could access them. I got as close to the pick-up location as I could, but they were no where to be found.

After three minutes of waiting, I get a call from the passenger, seemingly annoyed that I wasn't five feet from their location. I informed them that there are no roads going to where they are located. They then informed me that they were now actually somewhere else in the park, but had put that location down because that's where they had been earlier.

????

I cancelled the ride. Not because I wanted to leave them stranded, but because people this stupid are the same kind who will one-star you for not reading their minds. This is isn't the first time I've cancelled a ride because U/L's rating system allows stupid people to jeopardize my ability to earn an income. If they only knew how often their one-sided and inherently flawed ratings system makes drivers like me cancel on passengers, they'd definitely consider revamping it.

I'm sure that passenger was ticked I cancelled on them, but I wasn't giving them a golden opportunity to blame me for their own stupidity.

25rides7daysaweek

I've preemptively cancelled so many rides because of the abuse their ratings system can invite. There are instances where a passenger commits an infraction that puts the driver in a nearly impossible situation from the start. Yesterday, I had a passenger wanting me to pick them up in a very large park along a hiking trail where no vehicle could access them. I got as close to the pick-up location as I could, but they were no where to be found.

After three minutes of waiting, I get a call from the passenger, seemingly annoyed that I wasn't five feet from their location. I informed them that there are no roads going to where they are located. They then informed me that they were now actually somewhere else in the park, but had put that location down because that's where they had been earlier.

????

I cancelled the ride. Not because I wanted to leave them stranded, but because people this stupid are the same kind who will one-star you for not reading their minds. This is isn't the first time I've cancelled a ride because U/L's rating system allows stupid people to jeopardize my ability to earn an income. If they only knew how often their one-sided and inherently flawed ratings system makes drivers like me cancel on passengers, they'd definitely consider revamping it.

I'm sure that passenger was ticked I cancelled on them, but I wasn't giving them a golden opportunity to blame me for their own stupidity.
Did you at least get the noshow fee for the hit a moving target infraction?

rkozy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did you at least get the noshow fee for the hit a moving target infraction?
This was on Lyft, and even after hitting the five-minute mark for a "No Show" ride, Lyft said I wouldn't get paid for the ride. Lyft always finds some reason why I can't legitimately collect the cancel fee. That's why very few of my rides are on Lyft these days.

Last night, I was so irritated by the idiot pax, I didn't care about getting $5. I just didn't want somebody that stupid in my car, concocting a reason to tell Lyft I was a "danger" so they could get a full refund. Passengers use the ratings system to obtain free rides. Anyone I suspect who is trying to set me up for that will be cancelled before the door can open.

RabbleRouser

This was on Lyft, and even after hitting the five-minute mark for a "No Show" ride, Lyft said I wouldn't get paid for the ride. Lyft always finds some reason why I can't legitimately collect the cancel fee. That's why very few of my rides are on Lyft these days.

Last night, I was so irritated by the idiot pax, I didn't care about getting $5. I just didn't want somebody that stupid in my car, concocting a reason to tell Lyft I was a "danger" so they could get a full refund. Passengers use the ratings system to obtain free rides. Anyone I suspect who is trying to set me up for that will be cancelled before the door can open.
⚠ judging by your own expressed level of anxiety & paranoia
U don’t sound suited to deal with the general public.
Or
Ride share driver is ur calling 👍
for a life of personal & financial Frustration and Degradation

WindyCityAnt

Chill out man,

The more you get frustrated, the more you will keep putting yourself in the same situations. AR means nothing anymore in my market. I still get the same exact amount of pings, crappy or not, I make sure to check where they are then accept the ping as a good location. It could be coming to yours also :smiles:

Hope it helps 🥕

Pax Collector

????

Why not just wait till the timer is up, cancel the ride, get your fee and move on? No need to get frustrated over simple things. Pick up mishaps do happen and you only wait for five minutes.

25rides7daysaweek

I dont fo much lyft either but after 5 minutes and a phone call they pay me. The whole $5 too. Good luck 😀

Fozzie

Why not just wait till the timer is up, cancel the ride, get your fee and move on? No need to get frustrated over simple things. Pick up mishaps do happen and you only wait for five minutes.
I've had them show up right at the 5 minute mark. Unless it's a run that I know I'm going to make money on, I make them chase my car as I pull away and NO SHOW. If the fare looks decent, I'll still pick em' up and eat a shitty rating.

Jay Dean

????

Your thinking anyone wants to actually do ‘work’ at these companies? The rating system is perfect for them in that it is so poor it lets anyone that can’t work with it know for themselves not to do this or not lol. Why spend money restructuring a system that is not a one size fits all no matter what they could do, also when they know more drivers will just sign up. I quit Uber and lyft but their rating system didn’t bother me one bit because I didn’t care about it one bit, well I take that back I did care when the rates were amazing, definitely didn’t after the rates were cut. You should do the same and take it for the low paying job it is that destroys your cars value.

U/L guy

Customer calls sounds annoyed. Immediately cancel. It doesn’t get better.
I had one of those pings today, I just waited until the clock ran out and collected the cancellation fee, no point in getting your blood pressure up because of some idiot.

mrpjfresh

Yea, it is unfortunate, but it is what it is. It is actually a very shrewd and tried and tested tactic by these companies to have such a rating system. They get riders and drivers artificially angry at one another and deflect negative attention off themselves. It is so much easier to just 1 star and put a driver on blast. What else are they going to do? Call up and complain to Rohit and company? Good luck with that!

As for the OP, U/L created this game and these bizarre rules; you are simply playing it in your best interest. Never feel bad about that.

Trafficat

He said "even after hitting the 5 minute mark lyft refused to pay the fee"
Happens to me on Lyft at times.

Lyft will find an excuse sometimes.... not on time to the pickup location, didn't drive close enough, drove away from the pickup location, etc. Lyft cancel fees are unreliable.

Whenever I swipe "arrived" on Lyft it usually tells me "You aren't there yet, why you swiping arrived? This creates a bad pax experience," even though I'm right on top of the pushpin at the correct address. When I see that, it usually means no cancel fee even after 5 minutes.

Messages to Lyft support go in circles, and they won't even give a consistent reason for cancel fee denial. Each email will tell you a different reason why, as if the Lyft bots just make up random reasons and don't have a good enough AI to remember what they already told you.

U/L guy

Some people are not cut out to be rideshare/taxi drivers, it takes a lot of patience, good communication skills and ability to ignore passengers with an attitude. If you don’t have these skills then go get a job with a sanitation company, you don’t have to wait, talk with anyone, just collect other people trash.

Jay Dean

Some people are not cut out to be rideshare/taxi drivers, it takes a lot of patience, good communication skills and ability to ignore passengers with an attitude. If you don’t have these skills then go get a job with a sanitation company, you don’t have to wait, talk with anyone, just collect other people trash.
Nobody really broaches the topic of dealing with people when they start out, it is all numbers. Reality is you are either amazing with people or you fail at this min wage job
Post automatically merged:

How should I of broached the subject lol

Last edited:

RideshareUSA

????

Excellent call. I too, cancel when stupidity is evident. Pick them up and you open the door to 1 star ratings and BS complaints.
Note: had a paxhole cancel on me once and still was able to file a complaint. WTF Uber?