Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

If Pax causes damage inside car and they don't approve it then not covered

3K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  dirtnaprightnow 
#1 ·
Had a group of pax after bar hours, and two pax got into altercation while driving on freeway and pulled over to shoulder while the other pax held him down, then got off first exit and had them get out, only to start fighting between two pax again. So the pax broke off a cord in USB port and damaged center console USB slot and dealer quote to repair was $205. Filed pictures with Uber within minutes of this happening and filled out insurance claim also through UBER. The response I received back was

"Thank you for submitting your inquiry. To process damage fees on behalf of riders, Uber requires the consent of the rider. We have reviewed and presented the information provided to the rider on your trip and are unable to charge them. I'm afraid we are unable to fulfill your request for reimbursement.

We appreciate your valued partnership and thank you for your continued professionalism."

So since pax said no they are off hook and I am no having to pay out of pocket. It could have been worse, could have caused more damage or lost control of car due to pax jumping over seat attacking other pax. What else can I do and if they get sick not an issue but when they break something not covered.

See less See more
#13 ·
They will not give personal info, unless the Police tells them to do so. You are ****ed, next time electroshock them both and take whatever valueables they have - watches, jewels, money, credit cards(pay for smth somewhere and order a bunch ot usless stuff online just to **** with them). Every man for himself - this is Uber.

#15 ·
So they wont charge pax, wont give me the name of pax they suggest going forward to contact the police while they are still in my car, which wont at all put me now in danger. Let me tell pax as I am driving down freeway, stop fighting back there, and I am going to pull this car over now and see if ay damage and if so then you are going to sit in car and wait for police to come on a Friday at 2am to give me a police report which still wont repair what you all damaged.
Thankfully was only USB port and something more expensive. Do this was the response I got and I replied back that wanted a supervisor to call me about this, cause your solution on calling cops will just causes this situation to get worse.

"Thank you for the email. I totally understand your frustration. Damage fees are a little different from Cleaning fees and they do require permission from the rider in order to charge them.
Unfortunately, I'm not able to give you their information per our privacy policy. In instances like this, it's best to contact the local authorities to report the incident while they're still in your vehicle.
I truly apologize for the inconvenience.
Uber Support"

I also asked would the police report help me in getting reimbursed for this repair? So now waiting on call or email rom hopefully someone up the chain at UBER

#16 ·
I also asked would the police report help me in getting reimbursed for this repair? So now waiting on call or email rom hopefully someone up the chain at UBER
Uber won't reimburse you. They're basically telling you to pursue this in small claims court. The cops can't do anything for you either. You're out of luck.
This is part of the cost of doing business. But Uber always covers Their costs with the SRF....
What a shame.

#19 ·
Just keep emailing Uber requesting the reimbursement - and ask the CSR to escalate the issue to the advanced team... but keep in mind that if it is an insurance claim rather than a pax damage claim, you'll be on the hook anyway since there's a $1,000 deductible.

I'd be surprised if you didn't get reimbursed after making enough noise. Just be persistent, polite, and professional - refusing to take no for an answer.

#20 ·
Yes I have already asked for it to be escalated and also trying to understand why a police report would be beneficial and also how it is the suggested way from UBER to handle this which in my mind would have made it 10x worse, and focus more attention on me instead of the two pax that were fighting. THANKS FOR INFO appreciate the tips and will not take NO for answer.

#22 ·
Yes I have already asked for it to be escalated and also trying to understand why a police report would be beneficial and also how it is the suggested way from UBER to handle this which in my mind would have made it 10x worse, and focus more attention on me instead of the two pax that were fighting. THANKS FOR INFO appreciate the tips and will not take NO for answer.
I would say that when you to then you would call the police they threatened you and you felt it would be safer at that point just to get them out of the car.

I think for future reference if we have anything like this happen the best thing to do is call the police the second they are out of the car and insist on a report right then. That starts the paperwork trail and also makes it harder for the pax to say they didn't cause the damage.

#23 ·
When this happens to us cabbies, if we don't get reimbursement from pax on the spot, forget about it. Police reports don't mean jack. Only solution listen to others and drag uber in small claim courts. And make sure you ask for much more than the actual damage fee. Think of your wasted time fixing this.

Good luck.

Oh, friendly note to uber drivers, don't drive around with nice thing.

#24 ·
Well just like someone mentioned and Uber rep made sure it was in bold print on response
"If you want to proceed with a claim, please fill out this uberX Incident Report Form to the best of your ability and return it to us promptly. Please include the TRIP ID if you have it. We will also need a copy of the declarations page for your personal insurance policy. This is the document at the front of your policy that lists the specific coverages that you carry on that vehicle. We need this in order to confirm you carried physical damage coverage for your vehicle.

Please note there is a $1,000 deductible, which you are responsible for, should our policy cover the damage to your vehicle. This applies regardless of who is at fault.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help"

So stupid rider safety fee and 28% commission they take and they won't cover a $208 repair bill. Small claims maybe will give it a try cause while car at dealer getting repaired losing income and dealing with this.

#26 ·
In my county the cost is $70 to file small claims. The paper work is easy and the court will help you to get in PX info through a subpoena naming Uber as a co defendant and PX to be named through discovery. You will be going after the CC holder but not necessarily the persons that caused the damages. You will also need proof of service (they got the summons) . Certified mail works. Once you get the PX info you will have to prove it was that person who caused the damage. Be prepared for denials of guilt, it wasn't me or some other excuse.

Save the effort, tell the PX that he damaged your car and you need his DL right now. Take a px of the card and the PXs. Estimate the damage and demand cash pmt or you will call 50. If they dont pay up, sue their butts.

Also take action pix of the fight in progress. That always gets their interest and makes it a slam dunk in court.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.