• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Maven

Uber is terrified that drivers, now independent contractors, may be reclassified as employees, Uber has fought many legal battles since 2014, across the country, to prevent this from happening:
If this were to happen, Uber would be forced to:
  • Pay minimum wage for service workers (like waitresses) if they receive tips otherwise normal minimum wage.
  • Treat drivers averaging over 30 hours per week as full time employees. Meaning they get benefits including health insurance, unemployment insurance and a pension plan.
  • Pay overtime to employees working over 40 hours per week.
  • Vacation and sick days. Maternity leave.
  • Adhere to the fair labor standards act and all state laws on employee rights.

Fishchris

To be honest, i dont think this list is that great. I make "close" to minum wage now... So what are they going to do, give me a .50 cent per hour raise ?

Medical ? Ive worked for places that offered "a type" of medical, but i ended up paying so much out of my pocket, i might as well have got it all on my own !

Work over 40 hours for Uber ? Even on weeks when I'm in my car close to 40 hours, Uber says i was logged on 25...? So i will need to work 60 hours a week to start getting a few extra dollars ? Forget it.

And for all of this, Uber can now tell me when to work, how much to work, and force me to accept every ride they give me ?

No thanks. The last thing in the world id want, is to be an employee of such an ef'ed up company as Uber !!!