If a PAX leaves a $500 bill on your back seat, and offers you $100 to return it....

Fuzzyelvis

I call BS. Uber TOS clearly state that drivers are not not NOT ( I repeat: NOT ) responsible for items left in their car and are under no obligation to return them. There is NO legal jeopardy.

And what backwards reactionary burg do you live in that you're going to do jail time for a joint? Get real.
What does the TOS have to do with the police? You think the legal system cares?
Post automatically merged:

You take my alternate history story too literally. You can replace the joint with a gun if you like, it doesn't matter. Interaction with the police is a whole different situation.

Let me simplify it for you, it seems you need it:
Never talk to the police. Never. They are trained to 'catch you', and they get brownie points for catching you. The more arrests they make, the better chance of promotion. 90% of them don't concern themselves with justice or fairness (that's up to judge and jury), they only care about arrest rates.
So, again. Never talk to the police. Especially voluntarily.
I would never admit that I have possession of someone else's property. It creates a bailment and makes you civilly responsible for it. I might return it ... but I'd never admit to having possession of it.
FYI I never tell uber I've found ANYTHING. I wait for the pax to contact them. Then I day I will CHECK if it's in my car before admitting ANYTHING.

Pax leave useless crap all the time. Unless they care enough to go through the system I'm not bothering with it

Last edited:

Legalizeit0

This is a metaphor of life, the good people return it without thinking and the bad people find a way to profit from it, be it stealing out right or demanding a sizable “return fee.”

it would be miserable to live every day feeling like the rest of the world owed me something.

FLKeys

The problem with this story is there are no $500 bills in circulation in the United States. They're used for interbank transactions only nowadays. The largest bill in circulation in the United States is a $100 bill.
Pretty sure banks no longer use $500 bills for interbank transactions any more. This is all done electronically now.

$500, $1000, $5,000 and $10,000 bills are still legal tender they are just no longer circulated. If a bank does get one it gets turned over to Federal Reserve if the bank follows protocol where it should ultimately be destroyed. I have never seen a $5,000 or $10,000 and am not sure if they ever were circulated to the public. From what I recall they were only for Bank Transfers however I'm sure some could have been in circulation.

Buck-a-mile

Pretty sure banks no longer use $500 bills for interbank transactions any more. This is all done electronically now.

$500, $1000, $5,000 and $10,000 bills are still legal tender they are just no longer circulated. If a bank does get one it gets turned over to Federal Reserve if the bank follows protocol where it should ultimately be destroyed. I have never seen a $5,000 or $10,000 and am not sure if they ever were circulated to the public. From what I recall they were only for Bank Transfers.
I bought Casita 13' camper trailer from a home and family shrink in Las Vegas.

He asked me to bring $1000 bills.

My bank laughed, and told me the same thing you posted. Large bills were used for interbank transfers at that time.

Citizens can't get bills higher demonitation than $100 bucks.

The guy took me to his bank. We made our sales agreement under a bank camera.

He never touched the money. I handed it to the teller, under bank cameras.
Too much funny money in Las Vegas.

Deluxe weird, but I was all legal, so I bought the trailer from this weirdo.

WAHN

it would be miserable to live every day feeling like the rest of the world owed me something.
Yes it would be.

I'd never expect someone who found something valuable I lost to go 4 hours out of their way to return it to me.

The hypothetical person who lost it is pretty entitled.

And a lot of our would be thieves in here are probably just living out their evil alter egos online. :devilish: Of course, some are just dirtbags. :biggrin: