If a PAX leaves a $500 bill on your back seat, and offers you $100 to return it....

WAHN

Sorry but Uber says they're not.

View attachment 426593
Facts don't matter to trolls.

As for the theoretical OP, my actions would depend in part on their actions and tone.

It's easy enough to gross $100 or more in a 4 hour shift, so the "reward" really isn't anything special. You're actually returning $600-$800 or more of lost money that in many/most situations they would never see again.

I wouldn't keep it, but their demeanor would influence how convenient I make if for them to get it back.

Elland Rd

sorry, for balance, tone and accuracy tips are optional.
Exactly. Both imply no obligation to tip. But 'included' implies that even if they want to tip, there's no need to add anything. 'Optional' implies that if they want to tip, they need to add something.

Uber dropped the included mantra some years ago. And has gone with optional ever since.

UberBastid

I call BS. Uber TOS clearly state that drivers are not not NOT ( I repeat: NOT ) responsible for items left in their car and are under no obligation to return them. There is NO legal jeopardy.

And what backwards reactionary burg do you live in that you're going to do jail time for a joint? Get real.
You take my alternate history story too literally. You can replace the joint with a gun if you like, it doesn't matter. Interaction with the police is a whole different situation.

Let me simplify it for you, it seems you need it:
Never talk to the police. Never. They are trained to 'catch you', and they get brownie points for catching you. The more arrests they make, the better chance of promotion. 90% of them don't concern themselves with justice or fairness (that's up to judge and jury), they only care about arrest rates.
So, again. Never talk to the police. Especially voluntarily.
I would never admit that I have possession of someone else's property. It creates a bailment and makes you civilly responsible for it. I might return it ... but I'd never admit to having possession of it.

UberBastid

Methinks if u were a pax, say in Brazil, and left something behind in an Uber, ur “tude ” would be adjusted. Just saying. 🤯
You can't take the attitudes or customs of a one society and apply it to another.
If I was driving in Brazil, I would prolly be a Brazilian and would have local sensibilities; and maybe as a result would kiss pax ass ....
But, I'm not - and I don't.
I have to survive in MY environment.
I been doing it for well over a half-century, successfully I might add.
So, I'm not willing to change ...

ANT 7

Methinks if u were a pax, say in Brazil, and left something behind in an Uber, ur “tude ” would be adjusted. Just saying. 🤯
I'm not stupid, like people who leave $500 cash behind. So, you'll never get your answer to your utterly ridiculous hypothetical question.

I did have someone leave $100 on my back seat once in my second month. Knew who it was too. I kept that cash as well.

SHalester

So, you'll never get your answer to your utterly ridiculous hypothetical question.
Oh, so you say. Yup. You’ll be here moaning u left something behind and the driver is radio silent.
karma is a boomerang.
wild speculation n hypotheticals is what forums are all about. hello?

Buck-a-mile

Do you drive two hours to get the $100 reward, or do you just keep the $500?
The problem with this story is there are no $500 bills in circulation in the United States. They're used for interbank transactions only nowadays. The largest bill in circulation in the United States is a $100 bill.
Post automatically merged:

Do you drive two hours to get the $100 reward, or do you just keep the $500?
A man goes to see a lawyer about a legal problem.

The lawyer said the question and the letter he requested would cost him $100.

The man states his problem and the lawyer writes a letter. The man pays the lawyer with what he thinks is $100.

The lawyer later discovers that there are two $100 bills stuck together.

Now he has an ethical dilemma. Does he tell his partner or not?

Last edited:

UberBastid

The problem with this story is there are no $500 bills in circulation in the United States. They're used for interbank transactions only nowadays. The largest bill in circulation in the United States is a $100 bill.
Post automatically merged:

A man goes to see a lawyer about a legal problem.

The lawyer said the question and the letter he requested would cost him $100.

The man states his problem and the lawyer writes a letter. The man pays the lawyer with what he thinks is $100.

The lawyer later discovers that there are two $100 bills stuck together.

Now he has an ethical dilemma. Does he tell his partner or not?
If I was him, I would give all the billing documents, and payments to the firm accountant with instructions to do what she does ...
Always deflect risk whenever possible - and he will still get his $100.

'swot I'd do

Buck-a-mile

If I was him, I would give all the billing documents, and payments to the firm accountant with instructions to do what she does ...
Always deflect risk whenever possible - and he will still get his $100.

'swot I'd do
Pretty much why you're not a lawyer.