If a PAX leaves a $500 bill on your back seat, and offers you $100 to return it....

Mkang14

Easy question because of the two hour factor.

If they were nearby I would return the 500. But I'm not driving 2 hours. If they can find a way to come to me I would.

I've always returned wallets and other items either to their house or to store security, depending on the situation.

[email protected]

Do you drive two hours to get the $100 reward, or do you just keep the $500?
If it was a legit $500 bill that I could deposit at the bank (and the person didn't seem like a crazy person), I'd be more apt to suggest I return $485 via Venmo/PayPal ($500 less returned item fee). I wouldn't trust I'd get that $100 when I arrived and that's a long drive to do for free. If I had a real reason to go to wherever the pax was, or could destination filter there, I might consider it.

EDIT: So, I looked this up, since I haven't seen a $500 bill. They are no longer minted, and apparently even ones that are worn/were in circulation (versus mint in collector's possession) are worth up to 40% over face. So, the person probably wouldn't just want their money via electronic transfer, they'd want the bill. They could come to me if they are sitting on $700. 😁

Last edited:

UberBastid

I went to pick up a sports coat that I had left at the dry cleaners.
Pinned inside the coat was a $100 bill.
He said, "This was in the pocket."

I was stunned.

Asked him if he had a fifty. He said, yea, why.
I split the c note with him.
Hell, I left with fifty bucks more than I thought I had.

Anybody that finds lost money of mine, and gets it back to me -- I'll split it with them every time.

Cut

I think your real question is if someone would keep the money. No, I wouldn't keep the money. There would be easier ways to get it back to the owner. Send it via registered mail or have them pick it up at a police station. I'd say a 2 hour drive is too long of a distance to return an item.

MiamiKid

Easy question because of the two hour factor.

If they were nearby I would return the 500. But I'm not driving 2 hours. If they can find a way to come to me I would.

I've always returned wallets and other items either to their house or to store security, depending on the situation.
Excellent way to handle the situation.
👍
Post automatically merged:

Stealing... I am despised that someone asks this question. . It goes to the type of person who you are and people who steal do other bad things. Yes it’s stealing because you know it’s not yours.
Absolutely.