Idle vs turn car off during wait time

Best option between pings?

• Idle the engine

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Turn car off

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Keep driving around until a ping comes in ...

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Turn car off unless super cold/hot

Votes: 11 32.4%

• Total voters

itendstonight

What is better while waiting for a ride: idling the car or turning the engine off. For the down time between trips, I'm trying to figure how to keep expenses low. It's great when you have a pickup for a new ride right away and close by from the last ride's pick up but that is not always possible. Sometimes there is a wait for a new request or you get a request that is like 8 miles away, no way putting that many dead miles to get a ride. So which is better? Idling uses a bit of gas but turning the engine on and off has to be killer on wear/tear of the starter and engine. Which do you do? I know temperature can effect a decision, too.

Christinebitg

The short answer is, turn it off. Today's cars are much more reliable than even 20 years ago. So the wear and tear issue doesn't come into play as much.

Hybrids start and stop their internal combustion engines many times during the course of a single trip.

That said, there are some exceptions. For instance, if you know your battery is on its last legs, you probably don't want to push your luck. Or if the weather is particularly hot or cold, you may want the A/C or the heat, which mostly require the engine to be at least idling. I say "mostly" because there are a few exceptions, like the electric seat warmers in my car. Or if opening a window would keep you cool enough, then do that, obviously.

Andocrates

A lot of wear and tear happens at start up because the oil pump is turned off and the oil has mostly leaked back into the oil pan.

Timbrr

I pretty much always turn it off, unless it's super duper cold out. I keep track of my gas mileage on every shift, and I've noticed a loss of about 2mpg on days that I leave it running. With a truck that only averages 15mpg, idling and dropping down to 12-13mpg is a huge hit on profit.

Andocrates

Of course it saves money turned off, most things do.

You can turn on ECO mode which idles at a lower RPM. But i need all my creature comforts.

oldfart

The weather is the determining factor for me. In the winter I turn it off and open the windows. In the summer the engine and the air conditioning are running all the time.

FLKeys

The weather is the determining factor for me. In the winter I turn it off and open the windows. In the summer the engine and the air conditioning are running all the time.
I know the summer heat sucks, I still find a shaded area and turn mine off in the summer. If it gets real hot out I'll sit at home or a local fast food restaurant waiting on my next ping. Sometimes I can be without a wide request for over an hour.

Taksomotor

I know the summer heat sucks, I still find a shaded area and turn mine off in the summer. If it gets real hot out I'll sit at home or a local fast food restaurant waiting on my next ping. Sometimes I can be without a wide request for over an hour.
Wow, I would not be able to work in that market. Here, if I don't get a ping within 5 minutes from my last ride, I start checking if I am even online!

FLKeys

Wow, I would not be able to work in that market. Here, if I don't get a ping within 5 minutes from my last ride, I start checking if I am even online!
Rates are higher in this market and it draws ants in from Miami, there is not a huge demand for rides, so essentially we are more than over saturated with drivers and some days it really sucks. Last week Monday through Thursday I was online from 5Pm to 11PM. Monday 3 rides, Tuesday 4 rides, Wednesday 2 rides, Thursday 3 rides. Total of 12 rides in 24 hours of online time. Friday - Sunday ended up being pretty decent to make up for the crap beginning of the week.

At least I have other things I can be doing to make money why I am sitting around waiting for pings.

mods1964

It has been acknowledged by Uber that for some unknown reason the app favours vehicles that are moving when dispatching requests !

FLKeys

It has been acknowledged by Uber that for some unknown reason the app favours vehicles that are moving when dispatching requests !
There may be some truth behind this, however I believe it is not because the vehicle is moving. I have no proof or inside knowledge so I won't go into details. I just know it works for me.