Idiots on Wheels - Scooter

Slyster

Check this out from yesterday. I cannot believe we don't hear more about injuries from these things. This is on Snelling Ave near 94.

ZenUber

I once saw a kid on a skateboard holding on to the bumper of a car going 30 miles an hour down Broad Street in Philadelphia. Crazy stuff.

molls

He's actually following the law. No riding on the sidewalk, and he moved over left to let the bus turn right. Scooters are like bikes.

Slyster

That's the law? Crazy. I saw 4 more scooters shortly after this video and they were all on the sidewalks.

YukonDew

I hate those damn things almost as much as bicyclists that need to do the same thing on a heavily traveled road and tie up a lane doing 15 MPH. Then when you finally get around the bastards, they pass you while you wait for the next red light, blow through the intersection and get in front of you again.

Ignatowski

They're legally similar to a bicycle. They travel 15mph, which is about how fast many bicycles go. They're not any wider than a bicycle. So scooter riders should use the same common sense and laws that bicycles use, and should be just as easy to pass as a bicycle.

They must stay as far to the right as is safe to allow cars to pass them in their lane. Technically, drivers are supposed to maintain 3 feet of space when passing both bikes and scooters, but I've never seen a lane 9 feet wide, so that bit is nonsense. If the lane isn't wide enough for them to be passed safely, then they should "claim the lane", and move to the center to make it clear that it's not safe to share the lane with them.

Problems: (1) no helmet (2) rider should not have lane-split with the bus... that's a death wish. (3) rider kept swerving left & right. This would be just as unsafe if they were doing that on a bike.

Last edited:

Scorpion12

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1557217889670.jpg
    FB_IMG_1557217889670.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 31

Mpls55345

I have had three come at me on Hennepin downtown head on, them coming the wrong way. They run stop signs and lights much faster then bikes late at night. Dash board camera.