• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

I93 South last night.

E30addixt

State police had 93S completely shut down with a ton of cruisers last night. One car facing the other way and it looked like someone being taken into custody. Anybody know the backstory?

E30addixt

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Playing Traffic while driving in traffic.
Probably very few people on this site who would get that comment :wink:
Post automatically merged:

Not sure if this is the incident, but a motorcyclist was killed and two cars fled the scene. Woburn, I believe.
State police just released a few more details on the motorcycle crash. It seems unrelated at this point.

I find it odd there was such a large police presence yet no mention of anything anywhere.

Last edited:

BillyTheKidd

Probably very few people on this site who would get that comment :wink:

State police just released a few more details on the motorcycle crash. It seems unrelated at this point.

I find it odd there was such a large police presence yet no mention of anything anywhere.
Often this means an illegal immigrant was the suspect. Many local and the state police do not disclose this. The Feds do which is one of the reasons I admire U.S. Attorney Andrew Lelling. That and the fact he actually wants to prosecute serious crime.

RepublicanMikePence

Often this means an illegal immigrant was the suspect. Many local and the state police do not disclose this. The Feds do which is one of the reasons I admire U.S. Attorney Andrew Lelling. That and the fact he actually wants to prosecute serious crime.
Share any links to show that the local/state police do not disclose information if someone is illegally in this country. I'd like to read them.

Otherwise, you're just spouting random conspiracy theories.

Diamondraider

Share any links to show that the local/state police do not disclose information if someone is illegally in this country. I'd like to read them.

Otherwise, you're just spouting random conspiracy theories.
The SOmerville mayor has stated as much. Somerville has a sanctuary city banner on city hall.

Diamondraider

The SOmerville mayor has stated as much. Somerville has a sanctuary city banner on city hall.
Not sure what you wanted to see.

I wish I could UN-see it

The Somerville mayor said that they will not disclose names of criminals if they are illegal immigrants?
They will not disclose that the criminals are illegal.

The Somerville mayor said that they will not disclose names of criminals if they are illegal immigrants?
Yesterday, he announced the first Safe Drug Consumption site in the US.

And with DA Rachel Rollins attacking the police for dispersing the Methadone mile crowd on the heels of a group of them jumping a LEO, I think the horse has left the barn.

Last edited:

RepublicanMikePence

Not sure what you wanted to see.

I wish I could UN-see it

They will not disclose that the criminals are illegal.

Yesterday, he announced the first Safe Drug Consumption site in the US.

And with DA Rachel Rollins attacking the police for dispersing the Methadone mile crowd on the heels of a group of them jumping a LEO, I think the horse has left the barn.
You're completely missing the point.

The criminal was not named in this case. Was that because they are an illegal immigrant?

Diamondraider

You're completely missing the point.

The criminal was not named in this case. Was that because they are an illegal immigrant?
Yes.

If an illegal immigrant (known to police as such) commits a crime, there are jurisdictions here, that will withhold the “suspect’s” identity until at least completion of arraignment and the bail hearing. These people increasingly believe trespassing in a foreign country is a ridiculous notion and therefore the rights of the suspect must be preserved. The suspect is not illegal. Never mind that YOU would be on the local pd’s twitter feed in moments if you are arrested. Because ICE might be looking for the suspect, the identity must protect the SUSPECT!

These idiots fail to acknowledge the rights they want to bestow are instruments of the United States of America, a sovereign country with rules for its citizens. Rules that include being separated from your offspring at the mere suspicion of domestic violence, for example.

A generation of SJW’s are now influencers who would like to relive history instead of learning from it. Learning requires study, patience, and an attention span longer than a taco fart.

RepublicanMikePence

Yes.

If an illegal immigrant (known to police as such) commits a crime, there are jurisdictions here, that will withhold the “suspect’s” identity until at least completion of arraignment and the bail hearing. These people increasingly believe trespassing in a foreign country is a ridiculous notion and therefore the rights of the suspect must be preserved. The suspect is not illegal. Never mind that YOU would be on the local pd’s twitter feed in moments if you are arrested. Because ICE might be looking for the suspect, the identity must protect the SUSPECT!

These idiots fail to acknowledge the rights they want to bestow are instruments of the United States of America, a sovereign country with rules for its citizens. Rules that include being separated from your offspring at the mere suspicion of domestic violence, for example.

A generation of SJW’s are now influencers who would like to relive history instead of learning from it. Learning requires study, patience, and an attention span longer than a taco fart.
I already asked before. I'm asking again.

Please share a link of an article that describes this practice of withholding someone's identity after an arrest until after completion of the arraignment and bail hearing ONLY if they are suspected of being an illegal immigrant.

Diamondraider

Please share a link of an article that describes this practice of withholding someone's identity after an arrest until after completion of the arraignment and bail hearing ONLY if they are suspected of being an illegal immigrant.
What were they arrested for?

Because the point being made is that suspected criminals are given sanctuary status in cities here if they are suspected of also being an illegal immigrant..

Because the point being made is that suspected criminals are given sanctuary status in cities here if they are suspected of also being an illegal immigrant..
The word sanctuary should explain it all to you.

Time out.

I am conceding this debate to you. No mas. No mas. You are victorious. You are correct and I am delusional. Someone has hacked all my media platforms, including radio and television. I am living in an alternate utopia and I am not woke.

The shame. The shame.

No mas.

P.s. I admire the strategy of the couch troll. Always telling other people to provide reading material so we can never actually have a discussion with critical thinking applied.

Heaven help us if we should exchange ideas and sometimes self calibrate our position on the back of new facts or just a fresh perspective

Last edited:

RepublicanMikePence

The word sanctuary should explain it all to you.

Time out.

I am conceding this debate to you. No mas. No mas. You are victorious. You are correct and I am delusional. Someone has hacked all my media platforms, including radio and television. I am living in an alternate utopia and I am not woke.

The shame. The shame.

No mas.

P.s. I admire the strategy of the couch troll. Always telling other people to provide reading material so we can never actually have a discussion with critical thinking applied.

Heaven help us if we should exchange ideas and sometimes self calibrate our position on the back of new facts or just a fresh perspective
Heaven forbid you actually show any articles that demonstrate what you are saying.

Impossible logic!

Diamondraider

Somerville mayor sets out sanctuary city welcome mat

Somerville Mayor Joseph Curtatone speaks with reporters following a news conference announcing a goal of creating 185,000 new units of housing in the region, October 2, 2018 in Somerville, Massachusetts. (Staff Photo By Angela Rowlings/Boston Herald)
By PETER LUCAS |
PUBLISHED: April 19, 2019 at 1:36 am | UPDATED: April 19, 2019 at 8:20 am

Somerville mayor sets out sanctuary city welcome mat

Somerville Mayor Joseph Curtatone speaks with reporters following a news conference announcing a goal of creating 185,000 new units of housing in the region, October 2, 2018 in Somerville, Massachusetts. (Staff Photo By Angela Rowlings/Boston Herald)
By PETER LUCAS |
PUBLISHED: April 19, 2019 at 1:36 am | UPDATED: April 19, 2019 at 8:20 am
Somerville Mayor Joe Curtatone responds to ICE operation in Facebook statement
“What this raid demonstrates is that sanctuary cities are in compliance with the law.”
Somerville Mayor Joe Curtatone. –David L. Ryan / The Boston Globe
SHARE TWEET
By

Dialynn Dwyer

September 29, 2017
Somerville Mayor Joe Curtatone is calling the Thursday arrests of hundreds of immigrants across the country on federal immigration violations an act of “political theater.”
“The ginned up controversy over sanctuary cities has never been about the law,” Curtatone wrote on Facebook Friday. “It’s been about misinforming the public to create a political issue of cities on the other side of the political aisle. If ICE wants to deport undocumented criminal offenders, it can do that. It literally just did that.”
Almost 500 people were arrested as part of the raid by ICE that targeted so-called sanctuary cities, with 50 immigrants taken into custody in Massachusetts, according to The Boston Globe. Thirty of the people arrested in the Bay State had criminal records, but the rest did not, according to figures provided to the Globeby ICE.
ADVERTISEMENT

Curtatone said that the raid actually demonstrated that so-called “sanctuary cities” are not “sheltering undocumented criminals.” He also explained that in Somerville, which has maintained its position as a sanctuary city for 30 years, when someone is arrested their information is entered into a federal database, which is how ICE is informed that an undocumented immigrant has committed a crime.
“The only thing stopping ICE from deporting undocumented residents with criminal arrests is ICE,” he said. “What this raid demonstrates is that sanctuary cities are in compliance with the law.”
Read his full statement below:
This raid was staged as political theater, but it underlines something I’ve been saying for years: ICE already has all the information it needs to sweep up criminal offenders. The only thing stopping ICE from deporting undocumented residents with criminal arrests is ICE. What this raid demonstrates is that sanctuary cities are in compliance with the law.
Allow me to explain, when we arrest someone their information gets entered into a federal database. That’s how ICE knows an undocumented person has committed a crime in the first place – because we did our jobs. After that, ICE knows where that person lives and when that person’s court dates will be.
We are bound by law (4th Amendment) only to hold the offender as long as the predetermined limits for his/her offense. For instance, if bail gets posted, we have to let the person go. That applies everywhere, not just in self-identified sanctuary cities – a Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court decision reinforced that earlier this year. Also, in most cases criminal custody gets transferred to the county sheriff, which takes the city out of the picture.
Point is, ICE has a limited window to grab up criminal offenders while they are in custody. After that it has the same information as local law enforcement in terms of where to find that person.
So, despite all the bluster and this latest attempt to grab the headlines, sanctuary cities aren’t sheltering undocumented criminals. The cities are the authority that arrested them, and ICE has been given everything it needs to do its job. What we saw yesterday stands as proof of that fact.
The ginned up controversy over sanctuary cities has never been about the law. It’s been about misinforming the public to create a political issue of cities on the other side of the political aisle. If ICE wants to deport undocumented criminal offenders, it

Cambridge and Somerville Announce Joint Legal Defense Fund for Immigrants

Immigration protest
Demonstrators hold signs opposing President Donald Trump's immigration policies at a 2017 rally in Harvard Square.
Photo: Timothy R. O'Meara
By Declan J. Knieriem, Crimson Staff WriterMarch 20, 2019

Cambridge Mayor Marc C. McGovern and Somerville Mayor Joseph A. Curtatone announced the cities’ creation of the United Legal Defense Fund for Immigrants in a joint press release Monday.
The initiative is a partnership between the two cities and the Cambridge

You have 2 free articles remaining this month. Click here to subscribe. Already a Subscriber? Login here.
Anti-ICE Tattle-Tale Phone Line Goes Live In Somerville
By Evan Lips | March 29, 2018, 17:33 EDT
Somerville Mayor Joe Curtatone (Evan Lips — NewBostonPost)

Editor’s note: An earlier version of this story initially reported the city of Somerville’s launching of an immigration-related hotline. The hotline was launched jointly via several nonprofits.
SOMERVILLE — The birthplace of so-called “sanctuary city” policies, which bar police from sharing arrestees’ information with federal immigration officials, is stepping up its resistance to President Donald Trump’s crackdown on illegal immigration.
March saw the soft launch of a program known as the Somerville Response Network, an initiative described as “an ongoing collaboration of local government, nonprofits, and other community members established to create a citywide plan to assist families torn apart by ICE [Immigration and Customs Enforcement] raids.”
The “rapid response plan” calls for residents who hear word, or even witness, ICE operations to text or call a city telephone number — prompting an alert. The service has yet to go live. According to a recent update, the system is currently holding drills, while organizers have said they are seeking volunteers.
Kenia Alfaro, development coordinator for The Welcome Project — which describes itself as an outfit dedicated to promoting “education and advocacy with Somerville’s immigrant community” — told the Somerville Journal that while there “is a lot of fear in our immigrant communities” and “though we can’t put a halt to the actions of the federal government, we can be prepared to help families in our city affected by ICE arrests or deportation move forward in the face of uncertainty.”
“The Rapid Response Network is really just a loose network of people who can provide a wide range of support to families affected by an ICE raid,” David Gibbs, executive director of the Community Action Agency of Somerville, one of the organizations behind the program, said in a recent statement.

The locally-based resistance echoes the controversial decision by a Democratic state representative from Brockton, Michelle DuBois, to take to social media in March 2017 after she apparently heard rumors of a planned ICE raid in her city.
Somerville Mayor Joe Curtatone has not been shy about his opposition to Trump’s law-and-order stance on immigration. During his inaugural address in January 2017, Curtatone vowed to maintain his city’s sanctuary policies.
During an April 2017 roundtable discussion that included Bristol County Sheriff Thomas Hodgson, an outspoken critic of illegal immigration, Curtatone — who had labeled Hodgson in the past as a “jack-booted thug” over his law-and-order stances — defended Somerville’s sanctuary policies and claimed that “if someone is a violent person and has a criminal warrant we work with them [ICE] to deport that person, you don’t get a free pass in Somerville

Are we good?

Everyone Is Missing the Point About Sanctuary Cities
Instead, focus on 287(g) agreements.
by KYLE SCOTT CLAUSS·2/17/2017, 3:26 p.m.

get a compelling long read and must-have lifestyle tips in your inbox every sunday morning — great with coffee!

Photo by Charles Reed/U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement

photo by charles reed/u.s. immigration and customs enforcement
if we have learned anything in this first month of the trump presidency, it’s how malleable the term “sanctuary” can be, with respect to protections afforded undocumented immigrants. and given the frenetic pace of this administration, it can be hard to keep track of all the moving parts, and which ones could prove decisive in the debate over immigration policy.
mayor marty walsh signed the trust act in 2014, prohibiting boston police from detaining anyone based on their immigration status unless they have a criminal warrant. still, boston wasn’t considered to be a full-blown “sanctuary city,” like cambridge, which has long embraced the label. just before announcing his mayoral bid, councillor tito jackson suggested that boston make the leap to full sanctuary status, though what this meant wasn’t immediately clear

What happens to Boston and other sanctuary cities named on ICE’s detainer report?

Boston Mayor Marty Walsh and Sen. Elizabeth Warren speak to people gathered in Copley Square to protest Trump's immigration orders earlier this year. –Darren McCollester / Getty Images
SHARE TWEET
By

Nik DeCosta-Klipa

March 23, 2017
Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s first list of so-called sanctuary cities produced a lot of names — and not a ton of immediate clarity.
The reported inaccuracies notwithstanding, the list — released as part of ICE’sfirst weekly “detainer” report Monday — of self-identified sanctuaries was just that. It included no information about what might happen to the 118 listed localities — including Boston and four other Massachusetts cities — where law enforcement limits their cooperation with ICE efforts to deport undocumented immigrants

Last edited: