I would not want to be in front of a judge to face this charge

atthehop

Police: Uber Driver Arrested For Refusing To Transport Group Of Blind People With Service Dogs
IMAGE COURTESY OF SMERIKAL

Uber has been called out in the past by blind customers and advocacy groups for the blind for drivers who refused to transport service animals, settling a lawsuit over that issue in May with the company promising to take steps to prevent such discrimination. But it seems some drivers still don’t understand that they’re required to accept service animals, with police in Orlando arresting an Uber driver who allegedly drove away from blind passengers with guide dogs.

According to an Orange County Sheriff’s Office arrest report cited by the Orlando Sentinel, an Uber driver hit a blind man standing in the door frame of his van, and laughed when deputies arrested him for refusing to take the man’s service dog (note: the dogs in the photo above were not involved in this story).

The passenger told police he’s 100% blind, and had ordered an Uber van to pick up him and his group of blind friends and their dogs from a restaurant on July 4.

When the Uber arrived, the man said he opened the front passenger door, and the driver said he wouldn’t be taking them anywhere, saying, “I don’t take dogs.”

The customer says he explained that the dogs were service animals, not pets, but that the driver told him, “I don’t care,” and then started to move the van forward, according to the report. He told police the door frame hit his left side, and that he started yelling at the driver to stop for fear he’d be dragged along with the van.

A valet worker nearby also told police he saw the van pulling away and that he heard shouting. He called police on the customer’s request.

Police said the Uber driver laughed during his arrest, as if he “didn’t fully understand that he had broken the law.”

He was charged with failing to transport a blind person with a service dog and battery.

Uber driver refused to take blind man, service dog, deputies say [Orlando Sentinel]

No_Username

As an independent contractor and being self employed, we are not obligated to take the contract if we choose not to. His car, his office, his work space. He shouldn't of gotten arrested. Me personally, I have taken blind people with service dogs at no problem and will continue to.

EllyUberNJ

As an independent contractor and being self employed, we are not obligated to take the contract if we choose not to. His car, his office, his work space. He shouldn't of gotten arrested. Me personally, I have taken blind people with service dogs at no problem and will continue to.

First of all its *shouldn't HAVE gotten arrested*

Secondly, you are incorrect. It doesn't matter if you are an independent contractor you still need to accept service animals, otherwise it's discrimination. It would be the same thing as if you owned a store and didn't allow service animals.

That being said, if you were allergic to dogs, it would be a different story

deskeater

Being an IC doesn't absolve you from having to comply with the law.

TheNJBen

And even if it weren't illegal to not take service dogs, the driver was Probably arrested because he drove away with the guy halfway in the car. I know that was the charge but I imagine most people would just be ticketed or cited in that situation.

And being an IC means we are under contract. It means what you do while working on the uber platform must be in compliance with the contract you have with uber. I don't get how some people really remember the independent part but completely ignore the contractor part.

NoCommission

ٍStrange system. The entire UberX are illegal and many townships fighting this service but in the same time they consider it safe for disable person plus You will have to accept the request.
What if the driver afraid of dogs? That will cause and accident.

TheNJBen

ٍStrange system. The entire UberX are illegal and many townships fighting this service but in the same time they consider it safe for disable person plus You will have to accept the request.
What if the driver afraid of dogs? That will cause and accident.
Then you shouldn't be a driver.

NoCommission

Then you shouldn't be a driver.
I believe you never been a limousine driver. Most of Limousine companies they ask the driver first if he is fine with having animals in the car or not, if not they assign another driver who is fine with that. That is even by the law someone doesn't like to be around animals you can't force him to be around your animals. It is Uber as they broke the law they broke the regulation in this business too and now the safety for both drivers and riders in risk. What if you are fine with animals and while you are driving the dog just jumped on your seat that can cause an accident.

EllyUberNJ

I believe you never been a limousine driver. Most of Limousine companies they ask the driver first if he is fine with having animals in the car or not, if not they assign another driver who is fine with that. That is even by the law someone doesn't like to be around animals you can't force him to be around your animals. It is Uber as they broke the law they broke the regulation in this business too and now the safety for both drivers and riders in risk. What if you are fine with animals and while you are driving the dog just jumped on your seat that can cause an accident.
Those limo drivers aren't independent contractors

TheNJBen

That's just it ... If we are an IC then technically whether legal or not we are our own limo business with one car and one driver. As a "business" we are not allowed to discriminate so one has to understand that being a business that transports people sometimes those people come with service animals. If we are uber employees then it is up to uber to find suitable transport

NoCommission

I don't see it discrimination at all. A passenger has a dog and the driver is not comfortable having dog in his car, how simple is that. It is not about the person is blind. If Uber want really fix that they should have a feature on their app showing the driver who is fine with having animal in their car and also the rider when they request they can use this feature and they can call it " Uber+Pet" like Uber Access or Uber car seat.

Taxi Driver in Arizona

I don't see it discrimination at all. A passenger has a dog and the driver is not comfortable having dog in his car, how simple is that. It is not about the person is blind. If Uber want really fix that they should have a feature on their app showing the driver who is fine with having animal in their car and also the rider when they request they can use this feature and they can call it " Uber+Pet" like Uber Access or Uber car seat.
The passenger has the dog because they're blind, and therefore covered under the Americans With Disabilities act. It's a Federal law you may want to look into. If you refuse service to a blind person because they have a guide dog, you're discriminating against them. It's illegal.

If you're truly allergic to dogs, this is the wrong business for you.

TheNJBen

Doesn't really matter how you see it. The law says otherwise

EllyUberNJ

If you were attacked by a black person and therefore you have a serious legitimate fear of black people because of that does that mean you can reject black passengers? Of course you can't!

Coffeekeepsmedriving

Police: Uber Driver Arrested For Refusing To Transport Group Of Blind People With Service Dogs
IMAGE COURTESY OF SMERIKAL

Uber has been called out in the past by blind customers and advocacy groups for the blind for drivers who refused to transport service animals, settling a lawsuit over that issue in May with the company promising to take steps to prevent such discrimination. But it seems some drivers still don’t understand that they’re required to accept service animals, with police in Orlando arresting an Uber driver who allegedly drove away from blind passengers with guide dogs.

According to an Orange County Sheriff’s Office arrest report cited by the Orlando Sentinel, an Uber driver hit a blind man standing in the door frame of his van, and laughed when deputies arrested him for refusing to take the man’s service dog (note: the dogs in the photo above were not involved in this story).

The passenger told police he’s 100% blind, and had ordered an Uber van to pick up him and his group of blind friends and their dogs from a restaurant on July 4.

When the Uber arrived, the man said he opened the front passenger door, and the driver said he wouldn’t be taking them anywhere, saying, “I don’t take dogs.”

The customer says he explained that the dogs were service animals, not pets, but that the driver told him, “I don’t care,” and then started to move the van forward, according to the report. He told police the door frame hit his left side, and that he started yelling at the driver to stop for fear he’d be dragged along with the van.

A valet worker nearby also told police he saw the van pulling away and that he heard shouting. He called police on the customer’s request.

Police said the Uber driver laughed during his arrest, as if he “didn’t fully understand that he had broken the law.”

He was charged with failing to transport a blind person with a service dog and battery.

Uber driver refused to take blind man, service dog, deputies say [Orlando Sentinel]
I know they can NOT arrest you. All you have to say is you have car trouble or any other million excuses,

NoCommission

The passenger has the dog because they're blind, and therefore covered under the Americans With Disabilities act. It's a Federal law you may want to look into. If you refuse service to a blind person because they have a guide dog, you're discriminating against them. It's illegal.

If you're truly allergic to dogs, this is the wrong business for you.
Thanks.

NoCommission

Driver should Not drive the car if he feels any potential risk on him or on the rider. Whether the potential risk because he is tired, sick or drunk or because the rider or anything attached to the rider or even because the car is not safe to drive. Focusing on the road to avoid any potential road risk is number one priority, anything else will add load on that are increasing the risk on both driver and rider.