I work 10-12 hr days and make 150 before gas, UberX

Uberdriv18

I'm not sure why it seems I can't make what others are obviously making. I've been busting my ass every single day and getting at most 150, that's being hopeful and not deducting gas spent for the entire day. Also why is it that Uber sends me passengers who literally REEK. I'll go an entire day picking up passengers whos odor is so bad I'm choking. Then I have to log off and find a solution to get the interior not smelling because once I pickup the next passenger and haven't done anything about the prior persons stench suddenly that passenger doesn't reek and gives a low rating or even contacts uber. What the **** is going on here? Im starting to think these rides aren't really random and an personally being discriminated or purposely being stalked out of my job.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
You are in an oversaturation market. Plus...Spring break is going on right now, and possibly you are getting pax that have already been shuffled or refused by other drivers. Look closely at the pax ratings before accepting and switch to a time of day that's not literally crawling with Ants. For Seattle where I live, that's very early weekday mornings, since many Ants here don't like waking up early and prefer to work late nights.

dragnet

Try rolling down your windows between rides.
Also, when you go to the car wash, vacuum the seats really well.

Jt709394

$150 since way too low for 10 or 12 hours in SF. If you keep getting this low pay. I think you should think about getting a job. Because you're making below min pay after gas and tax. Look at the gas price man....

lighthouse

You are turning on the app then allowing Uber to dictate your day , can I see your acceptance rate and cancellations?

Okphillip

I'm not sure why it seems I can't make what others are obviously making. I've been busting my ass every single day and getting at most 150, that's being hopeful and not deducting gas spent for the entire day. Also why is it that Uber sends me passengers who literally REEK. I'll go an entire day picking up passengers whos odor is so bad I'm choking. Then I have to log off and find a solution to get the interior not smelling because once I pickup the next passenger and haven't done anything about the prior persons stench suddenly that passenger doesn't reek and gives a low rating or even contacts uber. What the **** is going on here? Im starting to think these rides aren't really random and an personally being discriminated or purposely being stalked out of my job.
Odor? I swear it’s the curry spices seeping out the pores.

seymour

Things happen in clumps with Uber - smelly people, obese people, disabled people, pax with dogs that smell bad and shed everywhere, underage kids, backseat drivers with low ratings, pools that end in Bayview and Hunter's Point, pax headed to Oakland airport, pax headed to Santa Rosa, pool pick-ups at SFO. Once you accept one of those it will feel like you get nothing but those. It's tough cuz you don't want to cancel which may impact how often you get pings. It's part of the gig.....use Ozium sparingly - do not go overboard with it or you'll have to wait a couple hrs to get that odor out of your vehicle. Anyone wearing construction gear - boots, safety vest, gloves should be an automatic cancel.
You should be clearing $300 a day at 10-11hrs on a weekday driving through one rush hr period, closer to $400 driving through both. Here's a typical week for me.

According to Uber I had more earnings per ride/hr than 92% of all drivers in the month of March. YMMV.

Last edited:

Gibman73

Also stop giving unworthy passengers 5*. If they stink they’re unclean period. I had to learn this lesson the hard way too. If you eat the poo it’s what you get fed.

Uberdriv18

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jt, your response is very typical. But thank you. Like I said, pretty much 99 percent of the other drivers I see don't have it bad like I do. I also find it very hard to believe these other drivers have other well paying jobs, you must be dedicated to working full time with Uber or else Uber wouldn't be such a success that it is. And for everyone who is not able to see it through my eyes and or going through the same thing that explains my conclusion of discrimination by Uber.

JLaw1719

I have some days where it feels like I’m slowed down but it’s been a long time since I consistently made that little over so many hours and when I did, it was for a very particular reason.

That’s the type of money I was making when I moved to the Bay Area nearly 2 years ago. I didn’t know where anything was and while I wasn’t a noob to Uber and Lyft, I definitely didn’t know my way around at all like I do at this point.

Half my hours that I work during the week are the slower hours and even with all the rate cuts and surge decimation, I can still nearly always make at least what you’re making over 10-12 hours in 6 hours.

Are you a local, how long have you done this, is it just the last few weeks which are slow period, etc?

Uberdriv18

Yes local. I bust my ass every day no matter if I have a strategy, airport pickups, downtown, rush hour, late night, clean car, Uber eats, you name it. Still, I get rider requests that are fiflthy, realizing I had completed 15 trips in 6 hours with $75 before gas, not having the chance to eat, forget bathroom breaks and logging off the app so that I have to do a complete interior detail 5 times a day probably ties into less pay, but that's where I feel like I'm being extorted. If theres a slight hint my car is not perfectly clean here comes the next passenger who just so happens to want to report me to Uber. So am I supposed to report each and every passenger that is wreaking of this horrid stench and requesting compensation from each passenger because I must log off, clean the interior, wait for it to dry, then log back on and not make as much earnings as I could if I weren't being sent passengers disrupting my business. But very very strange coincidence that I am constantly sent these types of passengers, yet I see other Uber drivers with us sparkling clean new vehicle, and have been told that they're able to make ends meet without issue. I literally was shown this one guy's phone who had $280 from working 2p.m. all the way to 8 p.m on UberX. Sometimes I'm still at around maybe only let's say $80 if I were to start at 11 and look at my app earnings at around 8 p.m. do I think there is still an issue with how much yoe earn as a driver, yes. Is it safe to say that maybe, just maybe, Uber routers or reps would definitely be exploiting certain drivers. I am very very polite with each and every passenger no matter if they're very disrespectful to me or my vehicle I still treat them with respect and common courtesy. yet, in the past I was also reported to Uber for being under the influence. I DONT EVEN DRINK OR DO DRUGS! So you can see how not everything is a pretty picture with being an Uber driver. And in my case I have definitely kept quiet for the time I have been working for Uber. I hate to say what stinks more than those filthy passengers would be the smell of slavery, discrimination, and downright abuse.

Last edited:

jenijazz

Are you working the city?
How long between pings do you wait?
Do you take rides that are more than 7 mins away?
Are you working both U&L?

Uberdriv18

You know what, I'm just going to be flat-out honest. I literally have given my life over to Uber as a full-time driver. Partly because I wanted to earn more as a driver, and the other part was the curiosity factor to see if I was actually being discriminated against or not. I have literally militarized myself as an Uber driver trying to be above all. Clean car working long hours going the extra mile for passengers not giving bad ratings to passengers who may have deserved it, not breaking any laws to the best of my ability, but we smart drivers know how to conduct themselves on the roads the safest way and smartest way possible without angering passengers or Uber themselves. Continuously going above and beyond Uber's and passengers expectations yet continuously hitting this wall. Uber definitely has the capability of allowing drivers to make an earn as much income as they want everyday yet I am given these tactics and maneuvers that are constantly forcing me to fail in that endeavor.

dragnet

I gotta call Poe's Law on this whole thread.
Post automatically merged:

In other words, you need to post screenshots of the earnings page of your app.

warsaw

Yes local. I bust my ass every day no matter if I have a strategy, airport pickups, downtown, rush hour, late night, clean car, Uber eats, you name it. Still, I get rider requests that are fiflthy, realizing I had completed 15 trips in 6 hours with $75 before gas, not having the chance to eat, forget bathroom breaks and logging off the app so that I have to do a complete interior detail 5 times a day probably ties into less pay, but that's where I feel like I'm being extorted. If theres a slight hint my car is not perfectly clean here comes the next passenger who just so happens to want to report me to Uber. So am I supposed to report each and every passenger that is wreaking of this horrid stench and requesting compensation from each passenger because I must log off, clean the interior, wait for it to dry, then log back on and not make as much earnings as I could if I weren't being sent passengers disrupting my business. But very very strange coincidence that I am constantly sent these types of passengers, yet I see other Uber drivers with us sparkling clean new vehicle, and have been told that they're able to make ends meet without issue. I literally was shown this one guy's phone who had $280 from working 2p.m. all the way to 8 p.m on UberX. Sometimes I'm still at around maybe only let's say $80 if I were to start at 11 and look at my app earnings at around 8 p.m. do I think there is still an issue with how much yoe earn as a driver, yes. Is it safe to say that maybe, just maybe, Uber routers or reps would definitely be exploiting certain drivers. I am very very polite with each and every passenger no matter if they're very disrespectful to me or my vehicle I still treat them with respect and common courtesy. yet, in the past I was also reported to Uber for being under the influence. I DONT EVEN DRINK OR DO DRUGS! So you can see how not everything is a pretty picture with being an Uber driver. And in my case I have definitely kept quiet for the time I have been working for Uber. I hate to say what stinks more than those filthy passengers would be the smell of slavery, discrimination, and downright abuse.
The way around your situation is to be very SELECTIVE and Don’t be afraid to Refuse Fares That Make No Economic Sense!

Try hard to skip all poo trips, unless you’re getting a really good surge.

Don’t pick up groups of four, again unless surge is included .

Stay away from underserved neighborhoods - there’s a very good reason why not too many drivers go there.

Don’t do anything that involves more than 5 minute drive to get pax, unless you’re getting great surge.

Buy some good signs, reminding pax to adhere to a few rules, such as:
No eating or drinking (open cups).
Wear seat belts.
Slamming doors.
Also, remind them tips are appreciated.

Simple and could make it a lot better for you!