I won't return a wallet and it's racist...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captn Rob

What should I do? A young black man and his girlfriend took a ride. I didn't get a tip (of course). The next day, I got a call from the black man that he'd left his wallet in my car. I'd already found it, but told him that I'd cleaned the car that morning and didn't see a wallet. Must have fallen out when another passenger left the car.

I felt guilty about this for approximately 1/5 of a second. My reasoning:

1. Black people don't tip (especially to white people). So, I'm expected to drive a half-hour to his house, hand him his wallet, and drive a half-hour back home with absolutely no compensation. An entire hour out of MY life for his mistake? Nah, don't think so.

2. There was NO MONEY in the wallet (only ID). So, I imagine that after I drive a half-hour to his place, hand him his wallet, then he'll call Uber and say that I took the money out of it!

So does this make me a racist? I'll be honest. If a white guy / gal had left a wallet in my car...I'd almost certainly take it back to them. And, I would expect a reward for my efforts (i.e., a tip). But this young black guy who left his wallet? I'm not going to do it. I'm pretty sure that I'll get no tip, and there's the possibility that I'll be accused of stealing money that wasn't there. So, his wallet is in a landfill somewhere...

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Captn Rob

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oooh...I hadn't thought about the mailbox thing. Are you saying that if it's dropped into a mailbox, that the USPS will send it to him?

canyon

I would have made him come and get it or mail it to him. But I get what your saying.

uberist

Yeah your reasoning is racist, do as the other person said drop it in a box or hand it to a mailman.

I am more of a attitudist if he was polite be polite, white people don't tip and I'm white you just notice more because they are black.

I can tell you I notice my rating drops more EVERTIME I give a ride to a non white andI can say with sincerity That I treat everyone EXACTLY THE SAME, I say the exact same thing to every single person, hi how are you, can you please buckle up, thank you, confirm or ask for destination, thanks, how's your day/ night going? If they continue talking I talk, if they bury their face in an app I shut up...

FORMERATLDRIVER

In a time when black people are being slaughtered in the middle of the road by people who resemble you, an uber driver with their wallet is probably not a major concern.

To answer your question, yes. You are no different than the average murder minded person who enters a police force to go hunting or small minded people who fly confederate flags representing insurrection and anti-Americanism.

What should I do? A young black man and his girlfriend took a ride. I didn't get a tip (of course). The next day, I got a call from the black man that he'd left his wallet in my car. I'd already found it, but told him that I'd cleaned the car that morning and didn't see a wallet. Must have fallen out when another passenger left the car.

1. Black people don't tip (especially to white people). So, I'm expected to drive a half-hour to his house, hand him his wallet, and drive a half-hour back home with absolutely no compensation. An entire hour out of MY life for his mistake? Nah, don't think so.

2. There was NO MONEY in the wallet (only ID). So, I imagine that after I drive a half-hour to his place, hand him his wallet, then he'll call Uber and say that I took the money out of it!

So does this make me a racist? I'll be honest. If a white guy / gal had left a wallet in my car...I'd almost certainly take it back to them. And, I would expect a reward for my efforts (i.e., a tip). But this young black guy who left his wallet? I'm not going to do it. I'm pretty sure that I'll get no tip, and there's the possibility that I'll be accused of stealing money that wasn't there. So, his wallet is in a landfill somewhere...

uberist

In a time when black people are being slaughtered in the middle of the road by people who resemble you, an uber driver with their wallet is probably not a major concern.

To answer your question, yes. You are no different than the average murder minded person who enters a police force to go hunting or small minded people who fly confederate flags representing insurrection and anti-Americanism.
That's a little extreme, I see a huge difference between him and the misleading media munipulations you mention.

FORMERATLDRIVER

That's a little extreme, I see a huge difference between him and the misleading media munipulations you mention.
How is it extreme? Racism and genocide always start out by appearing cute or coy. Hitler exemplifies this. Also, look at this cuteness of the little kids in lynching post cards. Cute, not so much as a button, but cute as a man wrestling with whether or not to return an ID card based on someone's race.

Captn Rob

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wow. Really? I'm in graduate school and most of my friends and family think that I'm WAY left (WAY, WAY left) on the political spectrum. And you really think that I'm "no different than the average murder minded [sic] person?" Wow. That's pretty harsh.

FORMERATLDRIVER

Wow. Really? I'm in graduate school and most of my friends and family think that I'm WAY left (WAY, WAY left) on the political spectrum. And you really think that I'm "no different than the average murder minded [sic] person?" Wow. That's pretty harsh.
I don't know you. You asked if you should deprive someone of their ID based on a stereotype of one ethnic group.

Was he African American? Stereotyping, as an example, a Nigerian as an African American is like saying the Swedish are cheap because an Indian Sikh low balled you.

Is he maybe in grad school like you and needed it for his school?

Have you met all 39 million blacks in the United states? Have you met the other billion world wide?

Please give me the equation you used to discriminate.

Onthelake56

I had young lady (drunk) leave her keys and car remote in my car last night which I found this morning. She had my business card and called this morning. I drove thirty min there and back to only receive a thank you. My lesson learned. In the future, they can come to me for their stuff or pay me in advance via Square for delivery. Other wise my trash can is hungty! If this new requirement does not agree with Uber/Lyft, TO BAD,

FORMERATLDRIVER

I had young lady (drunk) leave her keys and car remote in my car last night which I found this morning. She had my business card and called this morning. I drove thirty min there and back to only receive a thank you. My lesson learned. In the future, they can come to me for their stuff or pay me in advance via Square for delivery. Other wise my trash can is hungty! If this new requirement does not agree with Uber/Lyft, TO BAD,
Your point is completely valid, gaso and time are not free.

But the narrator was wanting to know if drivers should base this on race and whether or not that's ethical or cute.

Onthelake56

Color should have nothing to do with your decision. By the way, this icon is my real pic. I do not hide behind fake icon to post my thoughts. Maybe something alot posting here should concider. Pax pretending to be drivers, lyft uber pretending to be drivers. It really gets old fast.

UberXTampa

If you are going to go racist, blacks are not the worst tippers. Neither they are the worst rating pax. But, the right thing to do is to try to make it possible for pax to get their forgotten stuff. Knowing that you will most likely not be paid for it, the best way is to drop it in a police station or mailbox (as another poster suggested).

You do the right thing because you cannot negate negative with another negative.

Mountainsoloist

What should I do?
Mail it to him or drop it off at the police station.

So does this make me a racist?
It's a judgment call and it doesn't necessarily make you a racist. It is definitely discrimination, but there's no reason to return his wallet for no compensation. If he didn't tip you he probably won't reward you for returning it. You will find that many of the stereotypes are at least based in truth, but it won't help if you dwell on those instances. Move on so that you don't become a racist. Try your best to love everyone equally but never let your guard down.

Ozzyoz

At Target where I did security we used to count the money in front of camera and show empty wallet to can as proof in case someone accused us.

Black people do tip. I have Indian looks and they still tip me.

Just take it to a police station and say you found it somewhere.

nutzareus

The only color I'm concerned about is green. White, black, yellow, brown, whatever means nothing to me. As far as the wallet, I would never return to passenger. No good deed goes unpunished. They have to get it. Let them figure out the effort it takes for recovery.

Another Uber Driver

drop it off at the police station.
Just take it to a police station.

.....and do so, at your convenience......................The Police will render unto you a receipt for it. If the customer calls back, tell him that you turned it in to the police. Do not answer your Uber Dummy Number until you have rendered the lost article unto the Police. He can fuss, he can fume, he can threaten, he can caterwaul all that he will, but if he wants his lost article, he will go to the Police and get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.