1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

"I will tip you in the app" is that a polite way to say beat it!?

Discussion in 'Tips' started by Nonya busy, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Nonya busy

Nonya busy Active Member

"I will tip you in the app"

is that a polite way to say beat it!?

Doowop and Rakos like this.
  2. Surgeio

Surgeio Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I get more in-app tips from those who don't talk about it than those who do.

UberTLV, MadTownUberD, Doowop and 5 others like this.
  3. semi-retired

semi-retired Active Member

Here is what you do. Ask the passenger if they have seen the cool new feature in the Uber app. They most likely will say "what new feature"? This is where you say let me show you... Now this has to be done at the end of the ride. Show them how to rate you and recommend they select the 5 stars if that is how they feel or a 1 doesn't matter though you would prefer 5 stars. When that is done the Tip options come up, this is where you say... "Isn't this neat? They let you tip in the app now." and since you are there with them on that screen they now feel obligated to tip you and most likely it will be $5 because they do not want to appear cheap. And now you have taught a passenger how to rate you 5 stars and tip you.

Don't ask me how I know this... let's just say I have guided a couple of new passengers over the past week on how to "close out" the trip. The first few times they asked how do they make sure I got paid was I told them if they paid with a credit, debit or paypal it pays me automagically. Then I got a bit wiser and decided to guide them to the proper way of closing out the ride.

4. Nonya busy

Nonya busy Active Member

Good idea

5. Alison Chains

Alison Chains Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I smile and nod. If they speak of it they know how to find it. Either way, I'll have swiped them out, posted their rating, and will be on the way to my next ride by the time they do or don't tip in the app. Don't need to be preoccupied with it while I'm working. They may fully intend to do so but stuff like that is easy to forget.

Rakos and SuperStar3000 like this.

6. Big Wig !!!

Big Wig !!! Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    My fav is "5* for you".

Surgeio likes this.
  7. FormerTaxiDriver

FormerTaxiDriver Well-Known Member

I do that too.

8. Grahamcracker

Grahamcracker Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    My favorite was when Uber didn't have in-app tipping and the pax would say I'll tip you in-app. I always let them know that Uber doesn't have that feature. Sometimes they would tip cash after saying that.

9. nachoman

nachoman Member

One thing that I learned as a driver is that when I am a passenger that I show the driver that I am tipping before I get out of the car.

upyouruber, Julescase and Rakos like this.
  10. Brunch

Brunch Active Member

One woman I've given a ride to a few times tells me, "I'll give you your stars".

I don't end the trip until the passenger leaves my car or the last bag is unloaded from the trunk. I give my driver cash...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    upyouruber and Nonya busy like this.
  11. joebo1963

joebo1963 Well-Known Member

I’ve been driving for over a year. Those that want to tip just do it and don’t say it. Others say I want to tip in the app before the ends and I end the ride a few hundred feet early so it ends on their end and I can help them with the app I did this twice this week and both tipped while in the car But the ones who say I’ll tip you in the app or I’ll take care of you in the app..as they exit the car..those are almost always the liars. They are usually easy to spot. I had 2 of those yesterday. I knew and gave both 4 stars and sure enough no tip

12. Doowop

Doowop Well-Known Member

You are an extortionist I tell ya. And I like it. You are forcing people with poor character to do something that makes them squirm: part with a few dollars.

mrpjfresh likes this.
  13. RedANT

RedANT Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    "I'll tip you in the app."

"Thank you! I'll be sure to give you a 5 star rider rating as soon as that posts and I can close out this ride!"

UberTLV, BunnyK and Nonya busy like this.
  14. semi-retired

semi-retired Active Member

Now that is a badge of honor that I will accept graciously. :cool:

Doowop likes this.
  15. IERide

IERide Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I have only had a few riders say this, but 100% of those that said it, never did it..

ÜberKraut likes this.
  16. nachoman

nachoman Member

I ask them to end the ride when I get there so I can show them that I am actually tipping. Since I am usually only going to a nearby bar that has plenty of parking or back to my house they all seem more than ok with it to make sure I am actually going to give them the 5 dollar tip.

upyouruber likes this.
  17. upyouruber

upyouruber Well-Known Member

No, its' code for "please rate me 1* NOW!" to which I happily oblige!

Saltyoldman likes this.
  18. 2Cents

2Cents Well-Known Member

IMG_3777.JPG

upyouruber likes this.
  19. goneubering

goneubering Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    When they tell me that they almost always come through.

20. OrlUberOffDriver

OrlUberOffDriver Well-Known Member

So, how many rides you have under your belt AND how many 5 stars??