I will never do a Lyft power driving bonus again.

Shakey Jake

So after Uber insulted me with their quests of 30 rides for $40 I turned to Lyft. What made it easier was that they had a Power Zone around where I live for +90% from 3-4 and 5-7pm so I thought I would give them a try. I have not done the PDB since they changed their format from a percentage increase to a strait money bonus so I wanted to see if it was worthwhile.

The problem with the PDB was that you need a 90% acceptance rate. For some reason I thought it was only 80%. I lose about that much acceptance in bad cell phone signals. What that means is that they have you by the short hairs because you almost have to accept every ride request. You skip 2 rides you dig yourself a hole you can't get out of. I am very selective in my rides and I struggle with my acceptance rate at the best of times, and then Lyft started to mess with me when I should be making my money on the 2am bar surges. Friday night at 2am I was in Old Town Pasadena and it was dark pink everywhere and of course I get a ping in Eagle Rock 10+ minutes away for no surge that I had to take, or it would screw up my acceptance rate. Then on Saturday night I was headed to Hollywood from the Valley at 2am and I turned on the app after passing Highland and I get a ping for Universal Studios for no surge again. I ignored that one and it dropped me down to 89% acceptance. Then later on I was driving home at 3am and passing Downtown LA and it started to surging dark pink, so I head over there. I should have just kept heading home, but I got greedy. Of course the only rides I was getting were non-surge rides from Boyle Heights. I passed on 2 before I turned off the app and I was down to 87% acceptance rate.

The bad news is that I was close to the $195 bonus, so if I wanted to get it I would have to do about 27 rides on Sunday and accept every ping I got. I started at 2pm and struggled getting rides. Not only that, but they ended up being very long rides. I was stuck doing all of them, so even rides I would have passed on I ended up having to take. One was 15+ minutes away, and as a kicker, I was in the middle of Woodland Hills and I get a request that was 25+ minutes away in Malibu.

So after 13+hours online, and 27 rides at 4am I finally got my acceptance rate up to 90%. Never will I do the Power Driving Bonus again.

TLDR: The acceptance rate of 90% means that you have to accept every ride no matter how bad, and you are at Lyft's mercy.

IMG_0863.PNG

Last edited:

hulksmash

I got a $400 ($320 after commission) guarantee. So I though I'd just go to USC and grab a bunch of line rides, and then just do Uber but the plan went south. Long story short I said screw it and exceeded the guarantee in half the rides and a low acceptance rate. Remember those rides are like a paltry $2 a ride. Uber did the smart thing and eliminated AR/CR requirements for quest. Because before you either stopped driving for them after you hit thr bonus or said screw it when it wasn't obtainable. Now they get more drivers even if drivers get the quest or have given up on it. I'd Lyft is smart they would do the same

LoveBC

That looks exhausting. I gave 5 rides this morning and took a 2 hour nap afterwards. how many hours of a nap does 22 rides need? Someone help me with my math. I'd ask lyft but they would use ride share math and that just isn't accurate.
If I do a 22 ride day I'd be completely out of commission for the whole next day.

Uncle-not-Ant

If I do a 22 ride day I'd be completely out of commission for the whole next day.
I started out doing this many, driving 16 hours a day. It was a major burn out. Downing 5 hour energys, and coffee any chance I had. Hoping to find an open restroom in the middle of the night between pings. It was not healthy, and frankley it was not safe. More than 12 Hours is too much for a driver. They used to send me these messages encouraging me to stay online to get to the next X dollars. I started as an Ant Slave just like everyone starts. But too much is unsafe.

MissEeee

So after Uber insulted me with their quests of 30 rides for $40 I turned to Lyft. What made it easier was that they had a Power Zone around where I live for +90% from 3-4 and 5-7pm so I thought I would give them a try. I have not done the PDB since they changed their format from a percentage increase to a strait money bonus so I wanted to see if it was worthwhile.

The problem with the PDB was that you need a 90% acceptance rate. For some reason I thought it was only 80%. I lose about that much acceptance in bad cell phone signals. What that means is that they have you by the short hairs because you almost have to accept every ride request. You skip 2 rides you dig yourself a hole you can't get out of. I am very selective in my rides and I struggle with my acceptance rate at the best of times, and then Lyft started to mess with me when I should be making my money on the 2am bar surges. Friday night at 2am I was in Old Town Pasadena and it was dark pink everywhere and of course I get a ping in Eagle Rock 10+ minutes away for no surge that I had to take, or it would screw up my acceptance rate. Then on Saturday night I was headed to Hollywood from the Valley at 2am and I turned on the app after passing Highland and I get a ping for Universal Studios for no surge again. I ignored that one and it dropped me down to 89% acceptance. Then later on I was driving home at 3am and passing Downtown LA and it started to surging dark pink, so I head over there. I should have just kept heading home, but I got greedy. Of course the only rides I was getting were non-surge rides from Boyle Heights. I passed on 2 before I turned off the app and I was down to 87% acceptance rate.

The bad news is that I was close to the $195 bonus, so if I wanted to get it I would have to do about 27 rides on Sunday and accept every ping I got. I started at 2pm and struggled getting rides. Not only that, but they ended up being very long rides. I was stuck doing all of them, so even rides I would have passed on I ended up having to take. One was 15+ minutes away, and as a kicker, I was in the middle of Woodland Hills and I get a request that was 25+ minutes away in Malibu.

So after 13+hours online, and 27 rides at 4am I finally got my acceptance rate up to 90%. Never will I do the Power Driving Bonus again.

TLDR: The acceptance rate of 90% means that you have to accept every ride no matter how bad, and you are at Lyft's mercy.

View attachment 161516
Yep. I didn't make mine cuz I got all long rides on Sunday! Which paid well, but meant no bonus.

Adieu

I told you guys as much back in March or April

....back when my "quota" got bumped up to 35/70.

35/70. Yours is like, what, twice as high???

PS And that was WITH percentages, WITH plus and premier, and WITH working skip-as-much-as-you-want cheats

MissEeee

It's been at least a year since I did 20+ rides a day. I was dozing off in my car and feeling dizzy, It's just not worth it. I ain't got kids or a wife I'm not killing myself for $.
Wonder why it is so darned exhausting!?
Big difference for me in how many hours at a time I drive.

Vergence

Peak Times/Ride requirements are a joke for those with a FT job like me. I was 4 short to get the $40 PDB. On the flip side, I made over $200 for 4 hours driving. Lots of PT and lucky Power Zone pings from the Chokers Game (I call them the chokers since they can't close games in the 4th), WWE No Mercy, and LAX Sunday Night Hell.

Shakey Jake

I do wonder how much you could make if you only work USC?

They had a $150 bonus for 50 rides from 7pm-2am Mon-Thur.
They had a $150 bonus for 50 rides from 7pm-2am Fri-Sun.
They have a +100% bonus from 10pm-2am.
And on top of that you can get $330 from the PDB.

So you can make $630 in bonuses.

Adieu

So pretty much just bonuses and minfares...

Risk there is their bonus sabotage algorithms. They've gotten quite good. Lose out on bonuses, and youve done a week if work for practically nothing

saucy05

They might be better option for people doing this full-time.

Shakey Jake

Oh, they also had a bonus of $12o for doing 70 rides in LA County so last week you could have made $750 in bonuses for working USC.

As a side note I did $195 for the PDB, $120 for 70 rides in LA County, and $50 for doing 40 rides in USC Mon-Thur (I misread the bonus and thought I had an extra day for the $150) for an extra $365.

daveportney

Oh, they also had a bonus of $12o for doing 70 rides in LA County so last week you could have made $750 in bonuses for working USC.

As a side note I did $195 for the PDB, $120 for 70 rides in LA County, and $50 for doing 40 rides in USC Mon-Thur (I misread the bonus and thought I had an extra day for the $150) for an extra $365.
Sorry if you answered this but I took some time offHow was your Europe trip from that sign on bonus. You must have loved every minute!