1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

I was told that Uber left the Austin market?

Discussion in 'Austin' started by circle1, Jan 6, 2017.

1. circle1

circle1 Well-Known Member

Which is it?

2. ATX 22

ATX 22 Well-Known Member

That's correct.
    They instigated a political fight, they lost an election that they wanted and spent $9 Million to win, and they took their toys and moved to the outskirts of town like the petulant infants they are.

Punk in pink, Telsa33 and Yankee like this.
  3. circle1

So that explains why people are still talking about Uber stuff in "Austin?"

Riders Champion likes this.
  4. Tex Tile

Tex Tile Member

"Yes."

5. circle1

(LOL) "Thanks"

6. Jay Dean

Jay Dean Well-Known Member

There is a whole other suburbia outside of Austin in Round rock , basically north of Austin where Dell HQ is and northbound and west with lots of houses in Cedar Park and Leander, still a lot of work for drivers out that way and and I guess about where buda is (south to San Marcos) lots of people live out that way outside of ACL also.

LYFT always talks about events st Dell Diamond which hosts minor league baseball games and concerts

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Sgt_PaxHauler likes this.
  7. El Gato

El Gato Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    [​IMG]
    All correct.

The Uber Austin market extends beyond the city limits (displayed inside that red zone in above map), North about 30 miles to cities of Round Rock, Pflugerville, Georgetown, Cedar Park, Leander to the West up to Lake Travis area, Westlake, Lakeway, Dripping Srings to South of the city in Hays, Buda, Kyle and San Marcos - this is huge area as it's got a major university (Texas State) with an enrollment of 38,000 students making it the 3rd largest university in the state. East but not much if any activity to Bastrop. As you can see from the map the pocket in West Austin is Westlake where the Austin wraps around it to the lake and is still a semi steady pocket of activity (this area surged 8x during ACL 3 months ago). You can also see other pockets of non city of Austin that you can request an Uber in, but as mentioned already the major areas are the northern burbs where the combined population of those areas is about 400,000.

All in all the 5 central Texas counties that Uber services (with Austin being the hub) has a combined population of 1,943,000 people, with Austin taking up about the 943,000 of that. So, essentially you have another 1 million people that Uber remained behind to service. Now those numbers can be deceiving as the vast majority of these folks are all suburb dwellers or rural dwellers, meaning they all have their own vehicle and are likely to use said vehicle to take care of business. However, there still remains a small demand in the north for like mentioned above the minor league baseball games in Round Rock, the hockey and NBA D-League games in Cedar Park, major Austin events such as ACL or SXSW. Plus many of these folks still like to go out and have a good time so they need safe rides home from the local bars or folks staying in Air B&B's who want to head into Austin to party (you can still drop off in Austin). It's not lucrative by any means like is used to be, but it works. Personally, when I decide to work the party shift late night, I start with Uber in the burbs and almost every time I get someone wants to head down into Austin's party central: 6th street. At that point I just switch over to the other guys who took over when Uber bailed and make out better than I did before since they offer better rates and more importantly the option to tip in app.

8. Jay Dean

Jay Dean Well-Known Member

Nice! I thought cedar park was more north, it is directly west of round rock..growing up that was all farm land now it is new house after house after house.amazing how it has changed. Thanks for map and detailed post!

El Gato and njctuberx like this.
  9. circle1

Thank you, I appreciate your briefing!

10. Lnsky

Lnsky Well-Known Member

But who is actually still driving for them and making money? I have friends that live outside of city limits and they aren't using it.

11. El Gato

El Gato Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    In the north I usually see about 3-4 cars in the Cedar Park/Leander area and another 4-5 cars in the Round Rock area. Occasionally I see 1 guy online out in the Lake Travis area, and last time I saw a car in Westlake was during ACL (although the update to the pax app makes it harder to see these things. which I really hate). So it looks like you can almost count the number of drivers on your two hands...not many around, and I think it fits the limited demand as well.

You can still mostly find a car in under 10 min...mostly.

Occasionally I'll get pinged way out in Lake Travis on the Oasis or in Steiner Ranch which is at least 17 min away from my home base in Cp. I used to cancel or not accept them until I got the warning email from Uber :/ Pisses me off. So now I accept and then text them and let them know how far away I am and text them that they can cancel within 5 min without a charge if they would like (always encourage them to cancel on their end to avoid the negative hit from uber). I'll even let them know if I see a Fare or Fasten car closer to them and recommend them to try that if they want a faster pickup time. They almost always cancel. Only once did I have one dude who was like, "yeh thats fine. I'll wait." and when I was two block away he canceled, then when I was 1 mile away heading back home he re requested and I took him down to 6th st for a decent $23 payout from Steiner Ranch plus the earlier $5 cancellation fee. Things have a way of working out most of the time.

12. Sgt_PaxHauler

Sgt_PaxHauler Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Actually, most of my pings in Pflugerville, RR & Cedar Park are on Uber & Lyft.. especially during the commuter hours.
    I also get pings to Georgetown from northern RR on Uber & Lyft during this time. Outside of the commute shifts, it gets pretty quiet though - maybe a ping every 60-90min from somebody running errands. It's usually not worth it do do simply pax-hauling during these hours, so I switch to my Eats profile or just go down into Austin.
    One little warning should be issued: I get quite a few pings from parents' accounts to give rides to their high schoolers on Uber during the 'commute hours'. Drive them at your own risk.

13. El Gato

El Gato Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yeh got one out in Jonestown at around 1AM during the holiday break all the way in the Bee Cave area. A $28 Fare but awkward as it was clearly a high school kid leaving another kids house from what appeared to be a small gathering. Could smell the alcohol on her breath and she was on the phone with her friend the whole time talking about spending the night at that house with all the boys since parents are out of town. At least she was smart and didn't stay the night, and more so didn't get on the road while being intoxicated (still uncomfortable for me).

I just wonder how do these kids get away with that without parents noticing:
    Mom checks CC statement, "hmmm what was this $40 charge to Uber about during the break?"
    Daughter: "umm...huh I have no idea. That's odd."

How does that not raise questions with the parents?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  14. itldu4r

itldu4r New Member

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    Uber is back in Austin. The word hasn't spread out to a lot of people yet so their does not seem to be a large demand but Uber is back.

15. Tex Tile

Tex Tile Member

Nope.

16. TNCTopher

TNCTopher Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Uber has always operated outside the city limits and they continue to do so. They do not operate in Austin proper. There are pockets; such as Rollingwood, Shady Hollow, Barton Creek, Lakeway, Cedar Park, Round Rock, Pflugerville, and Georgetown but there aren't enough drivers to sustain.

Not at the airport and if they aren't at the airport then they aren't in Austin.

17. Klimber

Klimber Active Member

SanMarcos sees crazy surge blooms every Thurs and Fri nights. Seen 5 plus over and over again the last several weekends.

Lnsky likes this.
  18. ATX 22

ATX 22 Well-Known Member

Is the surge worth putting up with Texas State students for 3/4 mile rides? Probably only if you actually live in San Marcos. Deadheading there at current rates makes zero sense.

Lnsky likes this.