I was involved in a minor accident (video)

saucy05

So tonight I was driving with a pax in silver lake area. I turned left to an uphill narrow street and I see a car coming towards me at rather fast pace. Like I normally do, I slowed down so we can pass each other safely, unfortunately this lady sped past me and we made contact, in the process shattered my side mirror and scratched up my car.

After I ended the trip and and got out of my car, the lady and a couple of her friends came out. We exchanged info and took pictures of the damage while one of her friends was scolding her about her speeding. Right after I was about to leave she approached my car and said since it was both our fault we might as well not report it to our insurance. I told her I got a dash cam and we will let the insurance be the judge of whose at fault.

I did not report it to Uber because it was a fender bender and didn't want to drag it out with them. I also didn't report it to her or mine insurance since my insurance doesn't know I use my car for ride share.

Any tips as far as what I should do next?

(disregard the time stamp, i didn't set it correctly)

ps. Buy a dash cam if you don't have one yet!

UberIsAllFubared

You were on a ride, turn it in to uber insurance. More than likely, there is more than a grand of damage. You would be surprised at the costs.

UberLaLa

Hope you gave her Uber's Insurance Accord and not your personal insurance. That was totally her fault. 1. You were at a complete stop; no chance you could have caused any contact. 2. She hit your stopped vehicle. They are different and distinct.

Coaststarlight

Her fault 100% if you pilot your moving vehicle into a stateionary object you already gain some fault, even if it's another car, you had all required driving lights on and came to a stop, and she drove into you, you were not in any place you shouldn't have been, you had nothing wrong that would dismiss her from fault (lights off, doors open into the other lane, someplace you shouldn't be on the road, ect..) Her fault, don't let her, her friends or anyone taking her side weigh in otherwise, do it by the books, there is nothing to hide if youve done no wrong

Rammmmin

She is going to call her insurance, then her insurance will call you then if you exchanged ur regular insurance info with her wait your insurance will call you too and if they find out you drive for uber then you have problem.

Rammmmin

I have accident going on now , insurance company accepted their client strike back and hit my car while i was stopped but still they saying 50/50 ,i said i am going to take them court and they are not giving me any info regarding thier insured client. So insurance company will not easily accept ur request if you follow it by urself.

Rammmmin

If its minor, make sure it won't go in ur record and take care of it out of ur own packet, if its not use uber james river but 1000$ deductible ,so for $500 don't bother and do it by urself ,if u inform uber ,you will be deactivated until to fix car and send them picture.

UberLaLa

From my experience, if under $10k damages and/or any personal injury, pull to the side of the road and call cops. Of course if over $10k or any injury do not move either vehicle.

Police report will not prove guilt or innocence, but it will document some important facts for later. It's a pain in the butt waiting for the cops, but all this after back and forth crap is too.

Last edited:

mghtyred

What works to your benefit in the video is that you were slowing down to stop. However you didn't actually stop until contact was made. On the other hand, that driver was going quite fast in the video, and that may also play to your benefit. The good news is the WORST possible outcome is "no fault". You certainly won't be placed at fault for this one, and the insurance companies may even decide in your favor. Good luck!

UberLaLa

What works to your benefit in the video is that you were slowing down to stop. However you didn't actually stop until contact was made. On the other hand, that driver was going quite fast in the video, and that may also play to your benefit. The good news is the WORST possible outcome is "no fault". You certainly won't be placed at fault for this one, and the insurance companies may even decide in your favor. Good luck!
Looking at video closely I'd say he just stopped when she hit him. Of course if it came down to it her lawyer would argue the opposite, as would a lawyer argue that he should have pulled into that slot where no cars were before she got to him to let her pass....which actually brings up another interesting portion of this scenario - it is only slight, but still there. Vehicle traveling uphill always has right-of-way...he was going uphill, her down.

LAuberX

does she know you were on an uber ride? then your insurance may find out during the claim process.... making her offer of (paraphrasing here) "I hit you so what" the best option.

she was going downhill... you were (nearly) at a stop... not 50/50 from where I'm sitting.

call her insurance company, tell them you have a video. claim dat $$$$

Amsoil Uber Connect

You can count on that she told her Ins that your a driver and blame you for that fact. And then get her friend on the witness stand. But it's not going to go that far.

Call her insurance and tell her a client of theirs hit you and you have proof. Send the video (take date stamp off), wait for a response. It's that easy.

saucy05

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is it possible to plead the fifth as far as ride sharing is concerned with my insurance (state farms)? The operator asked me if I had pax in my car and I said yes, then she asked me if they were paying for it and I told her I can't answer that question.

Thanks for the input everyone. I reported to both our insurance and we will see what happens next week.

This darn incident is gonna cost me more on lost wages than actual damage to my car. I'm still at 39 rides this week :mad:.