I want to become Yellow Cab driver, Please help me

Inshur

William27

I got My TLC License, now what should be My next step,
Should I first start with Green SHL to gain some experience then go on to Yellow since Yellow seems more complicated
How to use the Taxi meter, I have personally never rode in any taxi and always took subway to commute around city so I am confused with how meter machine in Taxi actually works. what are other things that I should know. I appreciate any tips from veteran Yellow cab drivers.

FastEddie

Go to Yellow garage. Bribe the dispatcher. Work a light day to get some experience and confidence. They’ll show u how to use meter b4 leaving. After all that it’s down to luck and knowing the city

Chapar Kanati

First of all where are you located. If in Brooklyn I recommend going to J&I garage on Bergen St between 3rd and 4th Ave. It's great for daily drivers. Nice clean garage with well maintained cars and free car wash. Plus you get your cash after every shift. Second forget green you just lose an option to pick up hails in Manhattan mid and downtown. Second start with a Sunday. Preferably day shift. This way you'll learn the city well. Day shift is busy pretty much everywhere. At night you'll have to know designated spots where you are most likely to get passengers, otherwise you'll be cruising empty most of the time.

Vivobot

With all above recommendation please also keep in mind, you need to learn how to stop and occupy two lane, stop abruptly, need to intimidate other yellow drivers when u see someone is waiting at the curb, possible hit uber car now and then to make sure u are able to be the first to pick a passenger. Then u need to drive slow like no more than 10 mph, maneuver like there is no one in the street, speak to ur loved one on speaker when u have a passenger, if someone honk or bother by ur driving dont mind at all and behave like u did nothing wrong and just keep ur head forward to avoid any possible eye contact. Best of luck.
Side note, when I started driving for yellow I was told, 1) pick a car and start driving around 2) make sure to spend all 12 hours of ur shift 3) calm down and look for what others are doing 4) avoid competition with other drivers 5) dont stop driving up until u know what u r doing and u can start earning then go ahead and take break.

Mattqxsixty

dude u should first start with a regular car service b4 u even come close to any hails; u have no time to use a gps etc; u need to know streets address one way 2 way etc, its not easy it takes alot.. i did yellow for first 2 years b4 i joined base and flash forward yrs later got into ride-share plus base. learn the city... learn main st broadway; fifth ave; 1st ave; tunnel under pass etc; one wrong turn and ur screwed; no time to go around a block; one wrong turn and that can cost u 15 bucks easily bc pax will walk out of fare.

Andrew Dice Clay Two

They're app is trash, and I doubt if you ever get one free shift. Plus they rarely have cars near me.
It's basically for people who live near their garage in Brooklyn. So you might as well work for a garage.
Post automatically merged:

No no! Yellow is for beginners!
example: ME!!!
cuz I’ve seen couple Uber drives doesn’t know
Is JeromeAvenue an exit of belt or crossbronx!!!
Uber drivers can't find their azz without a GPS.

majxl

They're app is trash, and I doubt if you ever get one free shift. Plus they rarely have cars near me.
It's basically for people who live near their garage in Brooklyn. So you might as well work for a garage.
Post automatically merged:

Uber drivers can't find their azz without a GPS.
Yellow drivers prefer street hail then sharing their fare with an app. The pax see the exact fare on the meter and this is what the yellow driver gets, plus tips witch are usually more generous this time of the year... Happy Holiday!

Andrew Dice Clay Two

Yea thats their ego talking.
Saying u know every single block in NYC is like saying u know every single word in the dictionary
These guys come close

Inshur New York