1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

I wanna join UberEats in japan

Discussion in 'UberEATS' started by DeanNate, Sep 8, 2018.

1. DeanNate

DeanNate

Hello guys,
    thank you for reading, I'm new to this forum and everything about UberEats, I google but didn't seem to find much information about doing ubereats in Japan.
    Is there anyone currently doing this job as a foreigner? I will be taking student visa to Japan for one and a half year and wish to do it as a part-time job. does it count as the limited 28 hours work limit?
    Lastly, any recommendation on which phone service to use in Japan for UberEats? Thanks a lot

2. I never did work when I was in Japan but here is what information I collected when I was there and I thought about doing it.

In Japan under the government your classified as a worker if you exchange a service for a payment. Since your exchanging a service for a payment UberEats does count against the 28 hour work limit. Also when your not attending school during a 24 hour period your limited to a 8 hours work day plus you must take the mandatory rest day. Which is every 7 days you need a complete 24 hour period of no work and/or no work related activity. You will also need what is called a shikakugai katsudo kyoka. It's a special permission student work permit. You can get that at the ministry of justice regional immigration bureau office. The best thing to do is to get the shikakugai katsudo kyoka application and fill it out before you go to the ministry of justice regional immigration bureau office. The approval process can take a few weeks.

For phone service you should look into getting a prepaid sim card either Paygo or Mobal. Starting phone service in Japan is kinda expensive because you buy and pay for the phone at about 50,000 to 100,000 Yen and then you pay the company that provides the cell phone service. If you already have a GSM cell phone I would go with Mobal. It's cheap and it works. The cell service cost is 4,500 Yen or about $40.00 US dollars a month.

I hope this helps you.

Bpr2 likes this.
  3. DeanNate

DeanNate

Thank you so much for the information, today I have grabbed my bag and gonna start my ubereats delivery. The center at ebisu speaks good English and managed to go through everything I needed to know.

4. bakasan

bakasan

Hey DeanNate, I've been thinking about doing it but haven't gotten around to it yet. I was going to go down to Ebisu next month to have a go at it while I look for a new day job. Are you renting one of the Docomo bikes, or are you using your own?

5. DeanNate

DeanNate

I'm gonna rent the docomo bike plan (4000yen one month unlimited rides). As my area(Nakano area) can only work 10am to 11pm. I'm planning to go the peak area such as Chiyoda-ku area , it operate at 9am to 12am. The staff is nice and talks English throughout with me. I got the green bag and it will deduct the deposit 8000yen from your salary, so you will not have to pay straight away when u visit the center. I also learnt that u you can only use your own bank account which I'm planning to make this Monday on shinsei bank. I was planning to use my friend's account (mizuho) but it didn't work out. The post office account cannot be used too.oh yeah Im a student so im limited to 28hours work per week and ubereats counted in as well so I hope this job can cover my expenses

6. bakasan

bakasan

Sounds like a good plan. Yes, go for Shinsei. It has been a good bank for foreigners. One thing you should investigate. If your visa limits you to 28 hours of 'Paid' work. Maybe when you have the Uber app open but are not delivering. Maybe that does not count towards the 28 hours. i.e. maybe only actual time you get paid for would count or actual riding time. If you already have a phone that is sim unlocked you may want to check out line mobile. They are cheap and use the Docomo network so not too bad service.

7. DeanNate

DeanNate

They said I have to control my online time to be within 28hours, I wonder what will happen if I exceed the time though?

8. bakasan

bakasan

If they said that, don't play around with it. They don't mess around with visas and it can very well affect your status. So it is not worth it. If they are being strict and counting all online time as contributing to your limit. Then only go online during peak times where you can make the most money. Maybe weekends? 4000 yen is a good deal for the Docomo ebikes. I'm not surprised they won't let you use your friends bank account ;) . Let me know how it goes once you do your first shift. The more I think about it, the more I'm considering trying it out.

9. DeanNate

DeanNate

Yeah you're right. I'm planning to stay here for good if things goes well, so the status will be a important factor for me. Sure I'll let you know when I do my first shift!

10. bakasan

bakasan

Have you made it out yet :)?

11. DeanNate

DeanNate

Yesterday I made my was my first day of delivery. I managed to delivered 6 trips from 6pm to 11pm . Total earning is 3616yen. Ropoogi definitely have a lot of delivery requests , I was in shinjuku in the first place but I slowly end up in roppogi as I went on. Out of 6 trips 5 were forgeiners though. The houses is definitely hard to find as they were those luxury mansions and with guards. There were two time the address is pin wrong in the first place, I screenshot and Google translate and paste the mansion's name in Google map and managed to find it. I don't know if it's good money though imo or I'm doing something wrong because my time spent is 4hours 20mins.

12. bakasan

bakasan

Ya, the average hourly rate is certainly lower than what you want. But, I think as you get faster it would improve. At least that is what people say. Do you know how many km you cycled for those 6 trips? I think also part of the trick is to try to find the boost areas. Have you read this blog about ubereats in Tokyo? I can't post link but google noshift work tokyo and you should see it. He gives some advice on boost etc.

I might try it from middle of November mainly just to make some money for fitness. But it would probably be difficult to survive on that hourly rate. Maybe it will get better as you learn the system/areas/kanji etc.

Oh, also one thing to consider is if you think the speed of cycling is the main cause of low hourly delivery rate. You could also try by scooter. That might increase your productivity. If you are a student and want to try to maximize how much you make in your visa work hours maybe that is a better way to go? Of course, you need a license though.

13. DeanNate

DeanNate

I see, yeah I will try more and see how it goes, as I only have a limited to 28hours weekly. Maybe I'll treat it as a semi part time job that covers the remaining hours when I have a part time job

14. DeanNate

DeanNate

I don't know is it just me or same goes to other people but Google map often gives me the wrong direction, so please be careful. I always screenshot and copy into google translate then to Google map myself to make sure I'm going in the correct direction as uber app cannot select the text

15. bakasan

bakasan

So the uber eats app does not work so well to guide you there? Or is customer putting in wrong address mostly?

16. DeanNate

DeanNate

When the user app nagivate, it will jump to Google map, which shows the wrong pin. I didn't managed to delivered two meals because of this. (One customer cancelled, and one I cancelled myself,I called the uber support before canceling )So just in case, I always put the address myself now.

17. bakasan

bakasan

I see, interesting. I guess in Japan it uses Gmaps. I think in other countries people use Waze. How was calling uber support. Were you able to use English?

18. DeanNate

DeanNate

Yeah English is fine.

bakasan likes this.
  19. Hi everyone,
    I have a student visa as well and I’d like to work as delivery partner once a week to make some money. I know that I have to fill in the form to engage in any other activity than studying but I really don’t know what to write in the Job section... What did you write ? I enclosed a screenshot with the questions I am talking about.
    Thanks a lot !

248BE476-E656-479C-BCF2-86B2BD3BC572.jpeg

Attached Files:

20. dlearl476

dlearl476

That's an awful long drive for a delivery that's not going to tip! :p