I waited over an hour for a passenger

nickd8775

I had a ping at 2:15 am and they called me right away saying that they needed a ride to the airport at 3:30 am.
I was camped out in my sweet spot that produces long airport rides early in the morning, but they don't usually don't start till after 3.
This was perfect. I'd drive to the pickup location and park in front of the house. Let the wait timer run the whole time. Then I set an alarm for 3:15 and took a nap. It's nice getting paid a quarter a minute to sleep.
I don't want any short rides, I only want one trip to the airport. And this one is early. Usually I'd be waiting and not getting paid to wait

Sleepless Driver

I had a ping at 2:15 am and they called me right away saying that they needed a ride to the airport at 3:30 am.
I was camped out in my sweet spot that produces long airport rides early in the morning, but they don't usually don't start till after 3.
This was perfect. I'd drive to the pickup location and park in front of the house. Let the wait timer run the whole time. Then I set an alarm for 3:15 and took a nap. It's nice getting paid a quarter a minute to sleep.
I don't want any short rides, I only want one trip to the airport. And this one is early. Usually I'd be waiting and not getting paid to wait
A quarter a minute? Sounds nice. I get like .01 or .08 or some shit out here lol

nickd8775

So, did they complain about the wait time and got your fare adjusted or that hasn't happened yet?
It was a business trip so most likely they won't care about the expense. The way I see it, they paid the wait time fee to guarantee that I would wait till they're ready, instead of me taking someone else. Uber's are hard to come by on Monday mornings.

25rides7daysaweek

A quarter a minute? Sounds nice. I get like .01 or .08 or some shit out here lol
.08 a minute is less than $5 an hour. If I were you I think ide look that up. If it's TRUE you are renting yourself and your car out for literally peanuts. You must not drive in any traffic either. How much is minimum fare in that market $1.39?

Erin C Banning

.08 a minute is less than $5 an hour. If I were you I think ide look that up. If it's TRUE you are renting yourself and your car out for literally peanuts. You must not drive in any traffic either. How much is minimum fare in that market $1.39?

$2.38, as a matter of fact :wink: and $0.076/minute, $.76/mile during the fare -- don't know what the wait time rate is, but I'm guessing it's around that and not much more. And yes, traffic is death -- to be avoided at all costs.

FormerTaxiDriver♧

What was the final outcome?

mrpjfresh

Clever strategy. $15/hr to sleep in your car, especially during a typical deadzone of time, is surely a win! I would have guessed that Uber would have capped the amount of pre-trip, higher rate wait time (like with the long pickup fee) but I would have been wrong. Thanks for doing the testing on this. One reason I love up.net so much.

The only thing I'd do differently is to ask the pax to send a message through the app (to have it on record) and ask me to wait for his ride at 3:30 just in case they tried some bs. I suppose it is so difficult to get a ride on time that early that most would be grateful.

KK2929

-------------------------
Curious -- How do you set the wait timer for longer then five minutes ?

IR12

This topic...