1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

I thought we didn't tip on Uber, how do we do that?

Discussion in 'Tips' started by Jim powers, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Jim powers

Jim powers New Member

Hello,
    I'm new and not a driver. I was under the impression that we didn't have to tip because the tip is calculated into the system. At least that was what I was told. Can the drivers give me some etiquette and guidelines on the tipping policy? Or rather, what Uber tells you about tipping and what the reality is?

Dave, chi1cabby and puber like this.
  2. Chicago-uber

Chicago-uber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    Unless you use uberTaxi, there's no tip. Uberx drivers aren't receiving any tips. They're not required. However if you insist, we will gladly accept it :)

3. puber

puber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberPLUS
    Clean underwear is nor required either, but some people think of it as a good idea

BTW do you feel over compensated by current Chicago rates?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  4. LAuberX

LAuberX Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    Tipping waiters is not "required".

Play on words, not funny Uber.

5. Jim powers

Jim powers New Member

I thought my tip was automatically added to my bill and given to you guys. Is this not true?

6. PocketPower

PocketPower New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Uber plays very dirty now, they make rider think tip is included in the fare, but it's not

Ziggy, Luis_NJ1214 and JaxBeachDriver like this.
  7. TrafficSlayer

TrafficSlayer Active Member

The fares are the fares, we do not get any "bonus money" from Uber. When you pay your fare, Uber takes their $1 "safe rides fee" off the top, then takes an additional 20%, the rest is given to the drivers. Common examples:
    $4 min. fare-$1 safe ride fee-20%= $2.40 to your driver total. Out of this the driver must pay for gas and all other expenses. Uber takes 40%.
    $10 fare-$1 safe rides fee-20%= $7.20 to your driver. Uber takes 28%.
    There is no tip "included" in the fare. In fact, the smaller the fare is, the less of it the driver actually gets. If you take a short ride, things to consider are the following:

What is the driver's ETA from the time of your request?
    How long did your drive take?
    Did you make your driver wait for you, or were you waiting for him?

These are important because we live in a world where we expect to be paid for our time. If a driver only gets minimum fares, he is not even making minimum wage hen you figure out his hourly rate, especially after you deduct expenses. Even a small $2 tip will give a significant boost to your driver's hourly earnings and will be greatly appreciated.

thopper, KSTEPH, RockinEZ and 8 others like this.
  8. LAuberX

LAuberX Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    This is not true.

No tip for uberX, ever.

40% per mile rate cut to drivers in last 6 months.

9. cybertec69

cybertec69 Well-Known Member

It's a lie, we don't see any tips, unless a customer decides to be generous :D.

10. LookyLou

LookyLou Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    It is nice to hear this from a rider on this forum. It totally backs up what most of us have been saying for months now that many riders assume that a tip is included when it isn't.

thopper, Ziggy, RockinEZ and 2 others like this.
  11. Tim In Cleveland

Tim In Cleveland Well-Known Member

I find it offensive that Uber doesn't allow the rider to use their app to give a tip if they wish. Lyft allows it.

KSTEPH, RockinEZ, Luis_NJ1214 and 2 others like this.
  12. chi1cabby

chi1cabby Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    Thank you @Jim powers@Jim powers ! Welcome to this forum! And a great & relevant first post by you!
    :)

Ziggy, RockinEZ and JaxBeachDriver like this.
  13. Droosk

Droosk Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
  14. chi1cabby

chi1cabby Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    Ziggy, RockinEZ and someguy like this.
  15. driveLA

driveLA Well-Known Member

Just ignore what uber says and tip your driver

and please don't ask the driver if he wants a tip just have the cash in your hand and extend it

If the driver refuses it with the "tips aren't necessary" or "they are included in the fare" bit just know he is new and doesn't realize how much uber is gonna rape him down the road, so force him to take it like a good man/woman.

thopper, RockinEZ, GearJammer and 4 others like this.
  16. devin dolphin

devin dolphin New Member

Uber claims we make enough of a tip on our fare, Not really IMO. But if the customer insists Yes we gladly accept tips. A fair amount would depend on the fare, I would say 15% for tax purposes. I average $5 per fare myself.

thopper, Ziggy and Luis_NJ1214 like this.
  17. Realityshark

Realityshark Well-Known Member

If you'd like to be a decent passenger, tip your driver. This is especially important on short trips and minimum fares. Here's how a minimum fare breaks down:
    Minimum fare = $5. Ubers fee = 20% which is $1. Then Uber takes another $1 and calls it a safe rider fee. Nowhere in the formula is a tip. Uber does not include tips for drivers even though they say it is included. The driver keeps $3 from each minimum fare. You need to ask yourself, "Is having a person drive you in their personal car after they have logged miles getting to you worth more than $3?" Keep in mind the driver has to pay for his own gas and is never reimbursed for mileage. You cannot even buy a cup of coffee at starbucks for $3. Tip your Uber driver. It will be very appreciated. Thanks for asking.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    thopper and Luis_NJ1214 like this.
  18. just drive

just drive Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    To use simple terms uber in their contact with us says we agree that they can deceive the riders and make them think we are getting tipped. Seriously it's in the contact.

19. CityGirl

CityGirl Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I thought that too when I was a new passenger. I had selected an option to tip 20% when I set up the app. I thought I was tipping my drivers. Come to find out, after I became a driver, that option only applies to UberTaxi, which I *think* is when Uber has to contract with a taxi company, I'm not even sure. It is not given to the regular UberX driver. If you double check your charges, you will see that no tip was ever added as you thought you instructed Uber.

Thank you so much for asking this. Of course tipping is always optional, but in certain industries and in our culture, it's very common. Waiters, pizza delivery, taxis, furniture delivery, etc.

Ziggy likes this.
  20. Lost In Cleveland

Lost In Cleveland New Member

Yes, the tip in the application is ONLY for Uber Taxi. It does not come into play because a taxi picks you up when you use Uber. Taxis can sign up to be Uber X cars. It is only when the city offers Uber Taxi and you select that option in the app.