I Sued Uber in Small Claims Court and won!

Inshur

UberDropOut

Dear Friends,

This is my first post, so here is my story.

Started in December 1, 2015 hoping to receive the 7000 promotion for beginners.

Uber Screwing me over by the end of the month, saying I was lacking 8 hours from the 200 required for the promotion.

I sued them in Small Claims Court in January ( cost me $ 20 ) for breach of contract , and today was the day.

Uber did not show up, I showed the arbitrator my record of my hours and their calculation, and he granted me the judgment against Uber for nearly $ 4000.

I recommend everyone to not hesitate to sue Uber in Small Claims Court. It's Effective, and Successful!

UberDropOut

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Even though I am doing this for the first time, I was under the impression that collecting a judgment from a company like Uber is the least of anyone's problems.

observer

First, did you go to small claims or arbitration?
There's a big difference.

Second, did you opt out of Arbitration.

IERide

Even though I am doing this for the first time, I was under the impression that collecting a judgment from a company like Uber is the least of anyone's problems.
Good luck with that..
My tip: Don't spend the money before you actually get it.

UberDropOut

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
First, did you go to small claims or arbitration?
There's a big difference.

Second, did you opt out of Arbitration.

1. I sued uber in small claims Court

2. I opted out, but even if I didn't, no one cared, as uber didn't show up to find out.

3. It seems that most cases in small claims court in nyc are being viewed by an arbitrator, unless one of the sides really insists to see a judge, and is willing to come back, possible a few times to be seen by a judge.

4. It took 7 months to get my day in court, but I was out in less than an hour.

BTW I sued uber in downtown Brooklyn

Everyone just go for it. Sue Uber and show them some love.

Slow Joe

Glad to know they don't bother to show up. I imagine I'll have to do the same thing for my $400 "free" car rental payment issue.

Jayne Err

Congrats and bully for you ~ very glad you won! Because I have to do something similar to get a referral bonus they are trying to dodge paying, will you please let us know how you went about suing in small claims such as:

You just filed in small claims in whatever the city you are in? (I'm wondering because we sign up in L.A. but moved to El Paso two weeks ago, so I don't know if I have to file in the city in which I made the agreement, even though it was all remote/online executed)

Also

How did you have Uber served? To what address and what person did you NAME as plaintiff? Was it a local office near you?

Finally, can you tell us what steps you've taken thus far to collect and offer any tips? Did you ever collect? (HOPE SO!)

Thanks for sharing so we can be instructed to do what you did successfully!

Bon chance,
Jayne Err

Dax

I was planning on doing the same with Lyft. However, I was only missing about $250, so it wasn't worth it suing them. I just stopped driving for them for the rest of my entire life :smiles:

aluber1968

Dear Friends,

This is my first post, so here is my story.

Started in December 1, 2015 hoping to receive the 7000 promotion for beginners.

Uber Screwing me over by the end of the month, saying I was lacking 8 hours from the 200 required for the promotion.

I sued them in Small Claims Court in January ( cost me $ 20 ) for breach of contract , and today was the day.

Uber did not show up, I showed the arbitrator my record of my hours and their calculation, and he granted me the judgment against Uber for nearly $ 4000.

I recommend everyone to not hesitate to sue Uber in Small Claims Court. It's Effective, and Successful!
Please update us once you collect the money. Uber may appeal or just not pay claiming jurisdiction or some other bogus defense.
Please keep us updated
Thanks

Inshur New York