I Striked today and Watched "Fight Club"

dauction

I Striked Uber and Lyft today (so I got that out of the way :biggrin: )

and laid on the Sofa and watched "Fight Club".... I recall trying to watch it many years ago and it looked like it was going to be lame (a bunch of weekend warriors beating each other up to get away from the 9-5 rut).

I was wrong ... Fight Club is a brilliant Movie ...best to watch when you don't have everyone else in the room talking ...you really need to lay back and absorb it .. ED Norton Brad Pitt Helena Bonham Carter and Meat Loaf (he is really good in it)

This guys review is far more eloquent than I could ever give..

User Reviews

Superb
19 April 2014 | by grantss – See all my reviews
Superb, and truly one of the greatest movies of all time.

It starts with the screenplay. Adapted from, and very faithful to, an excellent book. The book by Chuck Palahniuk was perfect for a movie: vivid, powerful, challenging, original, unpredictable. Considering how perfectly formed the book already was, the screenplay would have been a doddle.

Some very interesting themes are explored - consumerism, class warfare, multiple-personality disorder, male bonding, terrorism and anarchy - without being judgemental.

Direction is spot-on. Perfect cinematography, pacing and editing. The twists and nuances of the book are captured perfectly.

Edward Norton and Brad Pitt are perfectly cast as the two lead characters, and deliver in spades. Helena Bonham Carter is a strange selection to take on the role of Marla, as she tends to act in Shakespearean dramas and other period pieces. However, despite this, her performance is very convincing.

An absolute classic.

radikia

The strike is scheduled for May 8th . Does this mean you're going to be a scab on the 8th ?

dauction

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The strike is scheduled for May 8th . Does this mean you're going to be a scab on the 8th ?

A Scab is someone that crosses a Union PIcket picket line ..

You guys are NOT a Union but a bunch of disgruntled Independent Contractors that think being an employee is a good thing so you can make a whopping $17 an Hour ... You are not my Coworkers you are my COMPETITION ..

....I am actually a Member of Local 738 I wish you all luck ... But I have no intentions of supporting something that moves us closer to being employees ..I don't want to be a Employee and I don't want you to be my coworker...

radikia

I don't want to be part of a union either . I have found that modern day unions protect incompetents and promote laziness . They the polar opposites of corporate America and neither is the answer . Let me ask you this , union picket line or no , if your union voted to strike and you went to work , what would happen ? and why ?
Cartoon-In-the-Bag-ALG-600.jpg

Last edited:

Fozzie

A Scab is someone that crosses a Union PIcket picket line ..

You guys are NOT a Union but a bunch of disgruntled Independent Contractors that think being an employee is a good thing so you can make a whopping $17 an Hour ... You are not my Coworkers you are my COMPETITION ..

....I am actually a Member of Local 738 I wish you all luck ... But I have no intentions of supporting something that moves us closer to being employees ..I don't want to be a Employee and I don't want you to be my coworker...
Where the hell did you get the idea that we want to be union employees? You people are so brainwashed to think that anything that has to do with striking or walkouts is about unions. It's not always about you. This is about public education on how these companies manipulate drivers for the sake of corporate profits. It's an opportunity to stand up and have your voice heard on what these companies are doing to others.

If you wish to continue to be abused by theses companies, to see faster and deeper rate cuts, and see corporate profits rise, by all means go ahead and work for those 60 cents a mile tomorrow. Even the desperate ants need to eat.

dauction

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't want to be part of a union either . I have found that modern day unions protect incompetents and promote laziness . They the polar opposites of corporate America and neither is the answer . Let me ask you this , union picket line or no , if your union voted to strike and you went to work , what would happen ? and why ? View attachment 318050
I AM UNION ..If MY UNION Sets a VOTE and we Vote to Strike then we Strike....

But WE Uber Drivers are INdependent Contractors ...WE are Not Union we are COMPETITORS. You Increase wages is going to do nothing but DILUTE your Income amounts the Million NEW Drivers attracted by the Pay INcrease .

I DO Support be paid more but ..

But it HAS to be a way that Doesn't attract a Million New Drivers ..it has to be an Investment based on TIME(seniority) , Ratings , Acceptance rate ....Yes even acceptance rate because we can't make a deal that is JUST about US .. A deal has top be brought to the Table that benefits Uber as well.

The Problem with the current "strike" is that it is all about US ..

There isn't a group of organizers that is a Pushing a Message of , you scratch our backs and we'll scratch yours...... It HAS to work for everyone... For US to be successful financially we have to work to make sure UBER is successful as well... Take nearly all rides has VALUE to Uber .. , Experience, Professionalism , efficiency ....al has Value to Uber .. PAX will pay a Bit more if they get that Face everyday ..

Those drivers that Provide that should see a base rate increase as well as top of the algorithms on better paying rides (the algos even calculate which Passengers Tip more.. (think about that ))

In exchange Uber gets quality Drivers , higher Retention rate, better press, higher revenues

Anyways ..Right Now The message is message is simply pay us More demand ..you don't make progress that way ..you get weeded out

Where the hell did you get the idea that we want to be union employees? You people are so brainwashed to think that anything that has to do with striking or walkouts is about unions. It's not always about you. This is about public education on how these companies manipulate drivers for the sake of corporate profits. It's an opportunity to stand up and have your voice heard on what these companies are doing to others.

If you wish to continue to be abused by theses companies, to see faster and deeper rate cuts, and see corporate profits rise, by all means go ahead and work for those 60 cents a mile tomorrow. Even the desperate ants need to eat.
If you don't want to be abused by these companies then quit. But I already know that you have quit and have a job in Hawaii l. Interesting how the biggest mouths for strikes are usually those that are out of them game, misleading rideshare drivers to keep going at it, instead of quiting and finding a job like you did.

Fozzie

If you don't want to be abused by these companies then quit. But I already know that you have quit and have a job in Hawaii l. Interesting how the biggest mouths for strikes are usually those that are out of them game, misleading rideshare drivers to keep going at it, instead of quiting and finding a job like you did.
Actually I still drive in Seattle to supplement my job at Microsoft, my retirement pensions and my income from my rental properties. I just spend 2 weeks a month in Hawaii taking care of family business. Very few jobs afford that much schedule flexibility.

Working elsewhere doesn't mean that one shouldn't drive, nor does it mean that we don't have a right to demand better from Uber and Lyft.

FWIW, I'm heading out of town for the weekend, so any further responses won't happen until Monday. Happy weekend!

Actually I still drive in Seattle to supplement my job at Microsoft, my retirement pensions and my income from my rental properties. I just spend 2 weeks a month in Hawaii taking care of family business. Very few jobs afford that much schedule flexibility.

Working elsewhere doesn't mean that one shouldn't drive, nor does it mean that we don't have a right to demand better from Uber and Lyft.

View attachment 319426

FWIW, I'm heading out of town for the weekend, so any further responses won't happen until Monday. Happy weekend!
In other words it is a side gig in your case. Not fulltime. You should be telling people here to quit and get a job like you. Happy weekend.

Z129

-:- * -:- * -:- * -:-
I had a very negative reaction to Fight Club the first time saw it. I didn't like it at all. At the time I referred to it with a few homophobic slurs (hey it was 20 years ago). Not sure why I had such a negative reaction to it. I guess I just wasn't in the right mood when I saw it the first time. Subsequently I came to really like the movie and even bought and read the book.