I stopped working Amazon Flex because...

outface

1. They recruit over saturated drivers and grab a block is next to impossible.
  2. The app teases you the peekaboo way to despise and waste your time. The app shows you the available offerings. No matter how fast you grab it, the result is the same. Sorry, this block has been taken already. One minute later, that ALREADY GONE offering will show up again. You still have no change to grab it. This will repeat over and over for 3 or 5 times before that damn offering rest in peace forever.
  3. The warehouse despise and waste your time to keep you WAITING IN LINE to grab a rack. 15 minutes waiting is usual. 30 minutes is not a surprise. Occasionally, they @@@@ you waiting for 45 minutes or even one hour. Amazon will not pay you this damn waiting time. You still need to complete your deliveries regardless of your waiting (wasting) time.
  4. While scanning a tote, what you have scanned is deviated from what the actual packages inside the tote. This error rate is about 20%. Always notice if any discrepancy between the scanned quantity and actual count inside the tote. If they are different, you have to scan the packages individually inside the tote. This is another way Amazon despise and waste your time.
  5. The warehouse theft does exist. The package is not taped well. The inside content was stolen already. Sometimes, you will deliver an empty box or envelop to the customer.
I do not want to waste my time to bring up more problems with their inefficient and disorganized warehouse management. Amazon is no difference that any other companies that treat you as an contractor instead of an employee. Under current hot stock market, I can easily profit $3,000 a month. Trading Amazon stock will be profitable than driving for Amazon Flex.

Reactions: NBR

soupergloo

1. Lol your sentence doesn’t make sense, but I get what you mean — they oversatured the market to make it nearly impossible to grab blocks.

2. If you really wanted to continue doing Flex, you would have found another method to grab blocks when the original tapping stopped working like the rest of us. There are MULTIPLE threads on this forum on other ways to grab blocks that don’t require endless tapping.

3. They’re still paying you hourly and you still collect the tips from the stops you complete on your route (assuming you’re at a Prime Now warehouse), but I agree, leaving that late into the block is unfair considering you have less than 2 hours to now complete a full route.

Amazon Flex is full of problems, and it’s only getting worse. If you’ve found something else that’s more profitable for you, more power to you :smiles:

Vmiyoshi

He is right, lets be honest about it.
Looking at this objective you got some good points with amazon, but you also got a lot of bad.
1. They change stuff way to much. It seem that people like me, that have been doing this since the beginning, have been adapting and evolving along with Amazon, but I think we are about at the tipping point.
2. The block thing is a real problem. Amazon sold this as a part time thing, and I have used it as such. Once it got hard to get block like outface writes in his post above. You do one or two things. A. Complain about it, or B. Find a better way, or maybe C. quit all together.
Like a lot of us here I found a better way. But as more people learned about it, it started to be less automatic, but still do able. Then the first email came out. Switched to an even better way, now I’m hearing of a new wave of emails.
I haven’t received anything so far, but let’s just say I do. Should I go back to tap tap tapping my phone, just hoping for a block? Taking my reserves from Amazon, if I get them?? I hate to be negative, but the shit is going down hill fast. I don’t know if this program will be around another year. I think if amazon does a massive deactivate of everyone that uses some automated way of getting a blocks. They are saying bye bye to some of their best drivers, and don’t even know it.
Also you know how many people I still see with Frep right on their phones, after the first email came out, walking around the warehouse. Sometimes I stop them and tell them, they need to at least hide that shit.

outface

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry for my negative opinions about the Amazon Flex program. But at least the warehouse can do the following immediate improvements:
  1. Have the racks (or carts) ready before calling in the drivers. Our job is delivering, not waiting. Keep us sitting in the car and waiting in the long line to check in is not right.
  2. They run driver's performance report on a weekly basis. They know who are the good performance drivers. I guess that's why I always get 2 or 3 reserved blocks every week because my performance is always 100% (on time), 0 (count for package not being received) and 100% (reliability). Instead of recruiting more drivers, they'd better keep the good drivers and weed out the bad drivers.
  3. Stop the warehouse theft. Make sure packing is good and taped properly.
  4. When checking available blocks, change the "REFRESH" bar location from static to dynamic. In other words, the refresh bar will be moving into randomly location after each tapping (clicking). This will make the robotic app cannot predict the screen location of the next refresh bar.

UberPasco

I hate to be negative, but the shit is going down hill fast.
Here is some hope:
Amazon deactivates the bots
We no longer have people who can barely make a phone call miraculously working 40 hrs a week for over a year. Seriously, we have couples who work together that can't use the app because they can't SEE the screen to click 'Check in".
Amazon deactivates the multiple accounts
A LOT of people have multiple accounts, either running bots or having someone grabbing for them. I know of one guy who paid his daughter $5 per block she grabbed ( back before bots).

Amazon know who the good drivers are. They need to stop being afraid of identifying them, officially. They unboard poor drivers readily, now they need to reward good drivers.

Two things they need to bring back: "Deliver more today" where you can string blocks together once you win the lottery for the first block :biggrin:; and a consistent 24 hr drop so we can plan ahead. They moved away from this because of too many no-shows. Reimplement, deactivate the no shows, and reward the shows.

imfatandold

Here is some hope:
We no longer have people who can barely make a phone call miraculously working 40 hrs a week for over a year. Seriously, we have couples who work together that can't use the app because they can't SEE the screen to click 'Check in".
A LOT of people have multiple accounts, either running bots or having someone grabbing for them. I know of one guy who paid his daughter $5 per block she grabbed ( back before bots).

Amazon know who the good drivers are. They need to stop being afraid of identifying them, officially. They unboard poor drivers readily, now they need to reward good drivers.

Two things they need to bring back: "Deliver more today" where you can string blocks together once you win the lottery for the first block :biggrin:; and a consistent 24 hr drop so we can plan ahead. They moved away from this because of too many no-shows. Reimplement, deactivate the no shows, and reward the shows.
sadly that is not how the gig economy works everyone is equal no matter how good or bad you are.

Amsoil Uber Connect

1. I call it growing pains. I saw this at another job. New product to build, a bunch of newbies trying to figure out what to do. I already been there tem yrs and the same questions the newbies asked and the same answers from management made meetings a pain. But what the hell, I'm getting paid good money sitting on my a$$.

In the lyrics of Getty Lee, New World Man. Conform or be cast out.

Tank_Driver

All valid points. Unfortunately, the longer you've been doing this gig, the worse you have seen it get. There's a reason so many Uber/Lyft drivers also do Flex - and you'll continue to see Amazon take a more Uber-like approach to it. Expect more 4 hours of work for 3 hours of pay, less offers greater than $18/hour for insane routes/hours, and more waves of drivers willing to work for less and less.

The reality is that this is not a job that rewards performance or experience (in fact, it's not even a job). You can be the greatest "contractor" in the world, and yet everyday, you are only bad block from deactivation. And with the low barriers to entry, you're just as disposable as the next.

imfatandold makes the best point about the "gig economy," which is really the broader issue here. There's a reason why Uber now pays about $0.70c/mile before expenses in LA: because as long as hordes of drivers are willing to do it, Uber is proud to offer it. Let's be honest - if this gig paid $10/hour before expenses, there'd still be people clicking all day for blocks; it's the nature of the gig economy, and why large corporations are now embracing it. Everyone has their own motivations, but the cumulative effect is the same.

Until then, let's hope they start with a few of the recommended changes. None of us know where they're headed with the recent wave of threatening e-mails, but regardless of outcome, we're all well aware of the current state of Flex.

Don't rely on these gigs for anything, and count on them for nothing.

outface

Don't rely on these gigs for anything, and count on them for nothing.
You are absolutely right. We, the CONTRACTORS, made these companies (Amazon, Uber, Lyft, Doordash, Grubhub, Postmates, and so on) greedy and evil. Many a little makes a mickle. Unless you are desperate for the pennies they threw to you, just say "No" to these unreal jobs. Invest your time and money to the stock market will reward you much more. Be your own boss instead of their disposable slaves.

Brandon Wilson

Here is some hope:

I have no idea what happened between July and now but the process of getting blocks just sucks now. I never had to think about it before, I would usually have a block nabbed the evening before or at the latest, right before the station opened. Now I see nothing. I'm guessing my station shifted over to a large vehicle preference since around the time they started sending emails about 5hour blocks is around the time the offers dried up.

outface

Amazon keep sending me three or four reserved blocks every week. I will always cancel them 45 minutes prior. So, get ready to grab the following block declined by me.
Screenshot_2017-10-23-08-20-43.jpg

jcris7

Because DLA5 is a ghost town now for Flex drivers. When the Chino station opened up and morning routes to the East (Redlands, Banning/Beaumont) were re-assigned to the cargo vans, we lost a significant portion of our routes and income started drying up. For those who had integrity and refused to bot ended up being defaulted to the sidelines with no blocks. Now it seems Flexers get the scraps with the hideous night route re-attempts and dangerous deliveries to the cliff boonies and dirt roads.