I Should Have Listened To You Guys

Jonny 1222

Got my first ping at 5:30. Guy immediately calls me and ask me how far away I am. I tell him 4 minutes and show up in 3. he opens the trunk to my car as I'm getting out to help him and his lady with their luggage and he throws the luggage in and hits one of the back windows. He tells me he's in a hurry and I need to get them the airport as fast as I can. I say I'm going to drive legally and that's what you can expect from me. An emergency on your part does not constitute me breaking the law on my part. I 1 start him at the end of the ride. The funny thing is, something in me told me to cancel right after he called. I should have listened to you guys and to my intuition, but I took the ride anyway and deeply regret it.

He 1 starred me and sent Rider feedback saying I was running yellow lights and accelerating too hard as well as braking too hard. What an ass. I love this job.
Honestly , I hope Uber starts looking at Driver track records . My rating is 4.97 but it was 4.98 until a rider gave me 1star with no explanation. I am not perfect , no one is, but a 1 Star review would be for someone who should not be driving , not a almost perfect rating after 3000 trips . I treat everyone with respect and I never say things that are inappropriate . I have to believe that these kind of riders are acting the sane way with most drivers . Stay positive , most of my rides are wonderful and thankful for our service .

OP-Matt

LMAO!! I love the text "I am here". That clarifies things.
I got this canned txt as well immediately after accepting a ping the other night. (I too chuckle at the absurdity.) Pickup was 8min away. THEN almost as quickly I got the phone call!
Me: Hello...hello...? Hello?!?!” (Loud background noises...)
Pax: Hi are you coming to get me? How far away are you? (About 7 min.)
Me: Yep, i’ll be there in about 7. I’m still a ways out.”
Pax: ok

Hang up. Cancel.

I’d like to say I hesitated...

Antquisha

Dash cam, a decent one and never leave home without it.
It's so weird that after months of cameraless bliss I now can't drive without a dashcam. Yesterday I couldn't find the memory card after downloading vids and cancelled driving for the night. I was fully dressed and ready to roll! But l would hate to take the chance and then something happens where it's my word against that of some conniving pax. Nah. I'll never drive without it.

BBslider001

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's so weird that after months of cameraless bliss I now can't drive without a dashcam. Yesterday I couldn't find the memory card after downloading vids and cancelled driving for the night. I was fully dressed and ready to roll! But l would hate to take the chance and then something happens where it's my word against that of some conniving pax. Nah. I'll never drive without it.
It's pretty sad that we start to feel the need to have to protect ourselves this way, but I am right there with you.

Honestly , I hope Uber starts looking at Driver track records . My rating is 4.97 but it was 4.98 until a rider gave me 1star with no explanation. I am not perfect , no one is, but a 1 Star review would be for someone who should not be driving , not a almost perfect rating after 3000 trips . I treat everyone with respect and I never say things that are inappropriate . I have to believe that these kind of riders are acting the sane way with most drivers . Stay positive , most of my rides are wonderful and thankful for our service .
I agree with you. Yes, we use this forum to @@@@@ a lot, but out of 800 plus rides, I have, maybe four stories of one-star deserving pax, and I didn't even 1-star them all. One was just having a REALLY bad day after he found his wife in the Air BnB dorking his best friend. I gave him a pass even though he was a TOTAL prick. LOL

donurs

When I'm at the pin and they clearly are not, I reply "So am I!"
Interestingly, a number of riders have no clue where they are and where the ping says they are! If I get a text or call with the "I am here" or "I am waiting" and I am waiting at the pin on the app, I text back "I am here too" and cancel as soon as the timer runs out.

AuxCordBoston

Cancel for the reason "felt unsafe". A pax asking you to drive like a maniac IS a safety issue. And it's a reason given that Uber won't hold against you.

When I drove the biggest awakening I had was realizing no single trip is uncancelable. There isn't a trip out there, whether it's 20, 40, or $100 that is going to change your life. Realizing that you will never again sweat out a lost or canceled trip. There is always another ping around the corner.
As others said, always trust your sixth sense. Always

Post proof of what you are saying. How do you know this? TROLL.

MasterDriver

Got my first ping at 5:30. Guy immediately calls me and ask me how far away I am. I tell him 4 minutes and show up in 3. he opens the trunk to my car as I'm getting out to help him and his lady with their luggage and he throws the luggage in and hits one of the back windows. He tells me he's in a hurry and I need to get them the airport as fast as I can. I say I'm going to drive legally and that's what you can expect from me. An emergency on your part does not constitute me breaking the law on my part. I 1 start him at the end of the ride. The funny thing is, something in me told me to cancel right after he called. I should have listened to you guys and to my intuition, but I took the ride anyway and deeply regret it.

He 1 starred me and sent Rider feedback saying I was running yellow lights and accelerating too hard as well as braking too hard. What an ass. I love this job.
Yes. Definitely go with your intuition. I've had similar experiences. A rider who calls repeatedly while you're on your way to pick them up is a sign of a trouble.

Also, if a passenger you have already picked up keeps telling you to exceed the speed limit or otherwise drive in a way that is unsafe or illegal, just pull over, then eject them from your car. I've had experience doing that, too.
Post automatically merged:

Easy answer Dash cam. Not for the interior per say. Those are a good idea but do come with issues. But, the road facing dash cam will prevent false allegations concerning you're driving. Be conspicuous about it and insure riders are aware of it. It dosnt really need to be on just as long as the pax thinks it is on. That solves that problem and riders like that can still lie about something else but the more defenses you have and show the less likely you will have to use them.
My dashcam records both the exterior and interior. And if the car is on, then the dashcam is on. No exceptions.

DirtyRead

Yes. Definitely go with your intuition. I've had similar experiences. A rider who calls repeatedly while you're on your way to pick them up is a sign of a trouble.

Also, if a passenger you have already picked up keeps telling you to exceed the speed limit or otherwise drive in a way that is unsafe or illegal, just pull over, then eject them from your car. I've had experience doing that, too.

My dashcam records both the exterior and interior. And if the car is on, then the dashcam is on. No exceptions.
I am about to get a new one. I am looking at Vantruen2 dual cam. it does both in and out and has an option for no red recording light. I have enough crap glowing at me. do you know if yours or of any that can send footage right away through email or something?

Norm22

Sometimes their name alone sets it off and they confirm it with a "where you at" type message. I usually message back, "right here" because everyone knows you can see where "I'm at". Then stop and sit still or turn around and cancel a few seconds later. Yesterday I did just that but the pax beat me to the cancel button. I laughed as i accelerated down the street with his 5 bucks. Thanks dumbass. Best part was at 4 am I know "Tiler" could hear my car, I was that close when he messaged me.

BBslider001

When you guys say "report them", do you contact support or is it through the app?

Uberbrent

Honestly , I hope Uber starts looking at Driver track records . My rating is 4.97 but it was 4.98 until a rider gave me 1star with no explanation. I am not perfect , no one is, but a 1 Star review would be for someone who should not be driving , not a almost perfect rating after 3000 trips .
Unfortunately, a 4 star means you shouldn’t be driving as well. I have complained about this system in the past. If Uber requires a 4.6 to stay active (4.85 for black/SUV), then anything less than 5 means the driver should not be allowed to drive. A passenger has 5 choices when rating a driver and 4 of them are bad. I have had corporate people that were aghast after I explained the system to them. When they give ratings to employees, the bell curve is over a 3 rating which means the employee has met all of the goals set out for him or her.

If the manager has 100 employees, he is only allowed to give out 3 or 4 5 star ratings which means the employee far exceeded the goals. These people then rate the drivers the same way not knowing that a 5 is for meeting the goal of getting the passenger from point a to point b. I have had passengers say they have never given a 5 star rating because of this mentality.

When I explained this to Uber, they promised that they were going to implement new training for passengers on the rating system. That was three years ago. Bottom line is that the rating system sucks in its present form.

I also drive for an app based limo service and their rating system is a simple thumbs up or thumbs down. Much easier for comprehension.

JasonLV23

What a piece of SH*T! ALWAYS trust your instincts!

peteyvavs

I don’t get 1,2,3 or4 star ratings, maybe that’s because I tell the pax’s when they get in the car that this is my part time job. My full time job is in a mortuary. I even went so far as to tell stoners that I know how to get rid of bodies without a trace lol, you should see the expression on some of the faces.

BBslider001

I don’t get 1,2,3 or4 star ratings, maybe that’s because I tell the pax’s when they get in the car that this is my part time job. My full time job is in a mortuary. I even went so far as to tell stoners that I know how to get rid of bodies without a trace lol, you should see the expression on some of the faces.
Yeah, I am sure you say this to your pax. GTFO and quit peacocking.

peteyvavs

Yeah, I am sure you say this to your pax. GTFO and quit peacocking.
Awwwww, Uber schill, is that the best you can come up with for a response.

Too many schiils on this site, or is it what I suspect an Uber sponsored site.

BBslider001

Awwwww, Uber schill, is that the best you can come up with for a response.

Too many schiils on this site, or is it what I suspect an Uber sponsored site.
Hahahahahahaha...love it