I Should Have Listened To You Guys

Carblar

Cancel for the reason "felt unsafe". A pax asking you to drive like a maniac IS a safety issue. And it's a reason given that Uber won't hold against you.

When I drove the biggest awakening I had was realizing no single trip is uncancelable. There isn't a trip out there, whether it's 20, 40, or $100 that is going to change your life. Realizing that you will never again sweat out a lost or canceled trip. There is always another ping around the corner.
As others said, always trust your sixth sense. Always

UberBeemer

Got my first ping at 5:30. Guy immediately calls me and ask me how far away I am. I tell him 4 minutes and show up in 3. he opens the trunk to my car as I'm getting out to help him and his lady with their luggage and he throws the luggage in and hits one of the back windows. He tells me he's in a hurry and I need to get them the airport as fast as I can. I say I'm going to drive legally and that's what you can expect from me. An emergency on your part does not constitute me breaking the law on my part. I 1 start him at the end of the ride. The funny thing is, something in me told me to cancel right after he called. I should have listened to you guys and to my intuition, but I took the ride anyway and deeply regret it.

He 1 starred me and sent Rider feedback saying I was running yellow lights and accelerating too hard as well as braking too hard. What an ass. I love this job.
You one-starred him, but should have called support to report he was rude and demanded that you speed. If you call first, they usually believe you. If you don't report it, they might not, when the passenger complains. Just be sure when they ask you to speed that you remind them your job is to drive them safely, and if they prefer, you would be happy to let them call another car.

BBslider001

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
BBslider001 - did you get a tip from him ? How much was the ride for your troubles ?
No tip and $8.75 for a 10 min ride....
Post automatically merged:

Its crazy how after you've been doing this for a while how you get a sort of sixth sense about riders before they even get in the car. Always go with your gut. All money isn't good money & definitely not worth the headache or the possibility of someone screwing with your rating due to their poor decisions. I just made the same mistake this morning.
Thanks for the good words. Much appreciated. I really hate the out-of-control feeling on these type of rides, even though it's only a short time.

Tom Oldman

Author
Got my first ping at 5:30. Guy immediately calls me and ask me how far away I am. I tell him 4 minutes and show up in 3. he opens the trunk to my car as I'm getting out to help him and his lady with their luggage and he throws the luggage in and hits one of the back windows. He tells me he's in a hurry and I need to get them the airport as fast as I can. I say I'm going to drive legally and that's what you can expect from me. An emergency on your part does not constitute me breaking the law on my part. I 1 start him at the end of the ride. The funny thing is, something in me told me to cancel right after he called. I should have listened to you guys and to my intuition, but I took the ride anyway and deeply regret it.

He 1 starred me and sent Rider feedback saying I was running yellow lights and accelerating too hard as well as braking too hard. What an ass. I love this job.
Dash cam, a decent one and never leave home without it.

BBslider001

Unfortunately, that gig is making me more jaded than I already am. Seen the new "quiet mode" offered by Stuber to pax? It's getting way out of control. Due to recent events, I am no longer a nice and accommodating driver. I'm now all business and I won't say chit to anybody.

Boca Ratman

Easy answer Dash cam. Not for the interior per say. Those are a good idea but do come with issues. But, the road facing dash cam will prevent false allegations concerning you're driving. Be conspicuous about it and insure riders are aware of it. It dosnt really need to be on just as long as the pax thinks it is on. That solves that problem and riders like that can still lie about something else but the more defenses you have and show the less likely you will have to use them.
You should be more concerned with issues inside the car. I have a dual dash cam with GPS tracking. It shows my location, speed, time and date. I think they should be mandatory for every driver.

Ssgcraig

an immediate call from the pax for anything other than a courtesy on a long trip is an auto cancel. we've all been there. ?

my personal favorite is: "I am here." via the in app messaging. I pretend they're being philosophical and reply, "We're all here, man." then cancel.
LMAO!! I love the text "I am here". That clarifies things.
Post automatically merged:

and insure riders
That is Ubers responsibility. :smiles:

Declineathon

Sorry mate, bummer. If no response email required from you, drop it. Lessoned learned, trust your gut, cancelled clowns cant rate.

If email required, suggest customer service run gps to crosscheck speed posted vs driven. And rapid deceleration to refute hard stops.

F this clown, hes in your review.

Uber Crack

Author
He 1 starred me and sent Rider feedback saying I was running yellow lights and accelerating too hard as well as braking too hard.
How did you get to know this exact feedback? I've never been able to get feedback like this ever.

Also...

I say I'm going to drive legally and that's what you can expect from me. An emergency on your part does not constitute me breaking the law on my part.
I would have thought this to myself, but never said it out loud. It sounds confrontational and like you have a bad attitude. You're definitely justified in being upset/irritated but I believe those words escalated the level of anxiety in the car. No one slams their case into a window on purpose. He was stressed, he made a mistake.
I would have said, "I'll do my absolute best. The GPS says xxx what time is your flight?" I think we are golden, let's have a calm vibe in the car so we get there safely yeah? Please put your seat belt on and do you need a phone charger?"
Many people traveling will appreciate a charger even if their phone is almost fully charged. Offering a charger often makes a pax take their phone out and once it's in their hand, well they have to check notifications, then they get stuck on it, and that's peace for the driver.

BBslider001

How did you get to know this exact feedback? I've never been able to get feedback like this ever.

Also...

I would have thought this to myself, but never said it out loud. It sounds confrontational and like you have a bad attitude. You're definitely justified in being upset/irritated but I believe those words escalated the level of anxiety in the car. No one slams their case into a window on purpose. He was stressed, he made a mistake.
I would have said, "I'll do my absolute best. The GPS says xxx what time is your flight?" I think we are golden, let's have a calm vibe in the car so we get there safely yeah? Please put your seat belt on and do you need a phone charger?"
Many people traveling will appreciate a charger even if their phone is almost fully charged. Offering a charger often makes a pax take their phone out and once it's in their hand, well they have to check notifications, then they get stuck on it, and that's peace for the driver.
Yeah well, don't be a dick first thing at 5 in the morning and you won't get confronted. In my mind it is just holding somebody accountable for their actions. Anyways, I don't mind confrontation when someone else wants to be a rude a-hole. People
always want to be passive aggressive and avoid confrontation. I nip that shit in the bud. But, lesson learned on my part... Next time they will get a hard cancel and I'll move on.

Last edited:

RideshareUSA

well my point was, in case you missed it, is that I did not drive at all like he reported. In other words, he flat @@@@ing lied. But that's neither here nor there... He was just a bad passenger from the start.
Nope. Impossible. Inconceivable. Flat out never happens, that a paxhole lies. Now you go find that paxhole and apologize for your slanderous comments!

Seamus

ALWAYS listen to your gut instincts.

delcon2013

I love putting these people in their place and "educate" them. I also make sure to comment on the rider about what happened to have proof if they try to say something to customer service. I dont pop the trunk until I'm out of car and explain I do it just in case they accidentally damage car.