• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

I rode as a pax today... the experience is not good

SubaruLegacy

So I had to take 3 daytime rides as a pax for the first time in a few months. I'm pretty annoyed as a driver now.

• Terrible advertising-When I opened the app, there's a banner I get 50% of mon-fri. That's great for me as a pax, but as a driver what good is it if Lyft never advertised it ahead of time? I never got an e-mail, push notification, text, nothing. So I saved 50%, and lyft ate 50% but it didn't actually do any useful advertising or cause me to take any more rides than I already would have. The offer also doesn't state any details, is it just this week? is it because I have 5 stars? is it because I'm a driver? Is there a limit to how much I can use it?
  • Pickup Location
    • On the newest version of the android app, the pickup location is ridiculous, it just auto sets pickup to wherever it thinks pax gps is. Pax have to know by making multiple clicks to trick it, into letting them type a different address or move pin, honestly after seeing this I'm surprised pax pins aren't worse.
  • Ride 1
    • I paid $2.28. Driver made $2.89 since it's a min fare ride. Shared ride w/ no match. 1.63miles 8m27s.
    • Driver spoke ZERO english
    • He accepted the ping even though he'd already passed me, and it's an intersection where going around the block takes 5 minutes, figured he'd be smart and cancel it, nope waited the 5 minutes for him since I wasn't in a rush.
    • Dude drives awful, keeps jumping in and out of left turn lanes to get around stop and go traffic, that no matter what he's going to have to wait in, because of this he misses my turn(there were 2 turns on the entire trip). Also because since he understood no english, he couldn't understand when I said you have to turn here at the light! Have to wait while he drives through 2 more intersections before he makes a u-turn once google maps updates and he realizes he f-ed up.
    • 3 stars so I don't match with him again
  • Ride 2
    • I paid $3.24 for the same ride in reverse.
    • I see where drivers car is, it says 5 minutes away, but I know my neighborhood and its only 3 minutes, so I'm toes to the curb. App doesn't update the entire 3 minutes to show driver is moving, until he pulls onto my street and is like 3 houses away. I'm beginning to understand maybe the tiniest morsel of why pax are never ready to go. Lyft should be pinging our driver location way way more often. If pax don't think we are moving, they are going to cancel/ or not be ready.
    • Driver's car isn't clean, but it's not filthy, good enough old crappy lyft car.
    • Guy isn't super friendly, but his english is fine, but I talk to him about some lyft stuff.
    • 5 stars +$1 tip
  • Issue with tipping...
    • The default options are $2,$4,$5, custom
    • when you click custom you can go up in $1 increments from $1-$7.97. $7.97 is a hard maximum.
    • When you hit $7.97 and go back down it goes $6.97...$5.97...$4.97...$3.97...$2.97...$1.97...$0.97
    • Who programmed this junk?
    • Why not just let custom be...custom... let pax type whatever they want? or better yet offer 15%, 20%, etc?
    • Why set an arbitrary maximum, that I assume is based on some vague algorithm? what if I'd been taking a short trip, because I had some huge piece of luggage I needed drivers help with and I wanted to give him a $10 tip?
  • Ride 3
    • I paid $2.77. Shared ride matched with a 2 pax pickup. 4.78 miles 24m56s!
    • Driver barely speaks a word of english, but she understands enough to get what I'm asking.
    • Pulls up to pick up others pax, they make her wait 5 minutes after we arrive, while they ask some ridiculously long question in spanish, that I only half understand. best I could tell they wanted her to take there friends as well in a completely different direction then they were going. Although I heard the word uber, so maybe they just needed help ordering one? Still gotta love how pax could care less about wasting other pax time.
    • I let it give her an auto 5 stars.
Now I know why when I pull up and speak in english the pax look at me like a deer in the headlights.

kos um uber

trip 1 : your stars will not pay my bill i dont wont match with you short trip is like doing charity
trip 2 : car compliant did you order lyft economy or lyft luxrey idont know why pax they think the driver is Justin Bieber or
van denzel and car is bmw or Mercedes-Benz remamber is lyft economy
trip 3 : she did her best instead of tip and be nice you give the stars that will not feed her kids

SubaruLegacy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't you think, maybe if you took regular Lyft, your experiences might've been different?
No? Lyft definitely doesn't pay me enough for me to take classic Lyft ride. Not to mention on the 2 short rides, I know from experience it's basically impossible to match with another pax on that route.

It's the same drivers either way.

trip 1 : your stars will not pay my bill i dont wont match with you short trip is like doing charity
trip 2 : car compliant did you order lyft economy or lyft luxrey idont know why pax they think the driver is Justin Bieber or
van denzel and car is bmw or Mercedes-Benz remamber is lyft economy
trip 3 : she did her best instead of tip and be nice you give the stars that will not feed her kids
Also I'm a driver who rarely takes a ride, which is why I found it interesting. I hold myself to a high standard as a professional, I don't see why other drivers should be able to do a shitty job and get to keep their jobs. I don't expect them to have water/mints like I do, or have as nice of car as I do. But I'm expect them to be able to give a safe ride, in a clean vehicle. I expect drivers to know how to follow a gps. I expect them to not drive like an idiot. I go above and beyond, I ask every pax how they are doing and things like that. Obviously drivers that take the time to come on this forum are trying to do their best at this. Not like these part timers who slap a sticker on their car and then just do whatever they want.

The language thing is a huge issue here, and really Lyft needs to fix it. If they are going to allow drivers to use a spanish version of the app, they should only match them with pax who use a spanish app.
I speak almost no spanish, and I get spanish pax all the time, but I'm usually intelligent enough to figure out what they are saying.

I don't expect a tip from every one of my pax. In my view, pax should tip when driver does something extra for them or is friendly, which is usually the case with my pax. The times I get annoyed with not getting a tip, aren't random shared pax. It's airport runs with luggage and no tip. Pax who makes you wait, or goes back inside for something with no tip. etc. Look I was toes to the curb for all 3 drivers. Those 2 min fare rides are money makers for half way competent driver.

Also who's van denzel? did you mean vin diesel? or Denzel Washington?

I know we like to rag on them when a pax comes here and complains. But as a driver I can tell you, the pax app has major issues, that are causing a lot of our issues for no good reason. And the quality of the average driver in Miami is atrocious.

JohnnyBravo836

Let me see if I have this right:
Ride 1 you paid $2.28.
Ride 2 you paid 3.24.
Ride 3 you paid 2.77.

I really don't see what you're complaining about. This is only marginally above bus fare in my town. You get somebody who comes to you personally within minutes (which you apparently don't find prompt enough -- try waiting for a bus and get back to me about how long that took) and gives you a ride for what is essentially bus fare, and a tiny, tiny fraction of what a taxi would cost, and you find this unsatisfactory.

But hey, they don't have to give out water and mints like you do, no siree.

It seems to me that the purpose of this rideshare business is to bring taxi cab-like service within reach of a whole lot of people who otherwise wouldn't have considered ordering a cab. That's exactly what it does. You get from A to B, cheap, cheap, cheap. But footrubs are not provided at these prices.

Last edited:

SubaruLegacy

Ride 1 you paid $2.28.
Ride 2 you paid 3.24.
Ride 3 you paid 2.77.

I really don't see what you're complaining about. This is only marginally above bus fare in my town. You get somebody who comes to you personally within minutes (which you apparently don't find prompt enough -- try waiting for a bus and get back to me about how long that took) and gives you a ride for what is essentially bus fare, and a tiny, tiny fraction of what a taxi would cost, and you find this unsatisfactory.

It seems to me that the purpose of this rideshare business is to bring taxi cab-like service within reach of a whole lot of people who otherwise wouldn't have considered ordering a cab. That's exactly what it does. You get from A to B, cheap, cheap, cheap. But footrubs are not provided at these prices.
Mind you those prices were after the 50% discount. The prices were insanely low though, even for Miami, even before the discount that for the 3rd ride, and I have no idea why. Lyft paid drivers 1 and 3 more than I paid.

And I'm not asking for footrubs, I'm asking for a driver who speaks english enough to not get lost on a 2 turn drive.

Also I didn't care how long the first guy took, as I said I wasn't in a rush, other than it was stupid for him as a driver, because he took a profitable min fare trip, and made it worse for himself.

and with the other driver picking me up I wasn't complaining about how long it took to get picked up, I was complaining about lyft's terrible eta's and how they don't keep pax updated often enough for pax to know we are coming.

You also have to understand Miami is a completely different market than NY. It's the wild west here. There's no vehicle inspections, no TLC, and they keep relaxing the year requirements for vehicles, for shittier and shittier cars. Not to mention the super sketchy cash drivers, and drivers I've seen in vehicles that for sure don't meet requirements but they get away driving anyways.

JohnnyBravo836

You also have to understand Miami is a completely different market than NY. It's the wild west here. There's no vehicle inspections, no TLC, and they keep relaxing the year requirements for vehicles, for shittier and shittier cars. Not to mention the super sketchy cash drivers, and drivers I've seen in vehicles that for sure don't meet requirements but they get away driving anyways.
I have no doubt that Miami is different. Indeed, news stories about events in Florida in general repeatedly amaze me. :wink: No vehicle inspections whatsoever sounds dicey. In fact, I've been told on several occasions by people who have visited there that Miami itself is rather dicey in general. :wink: Nonetheless, expecting that, for example, people who can't speak English -- especially in Florida, apparently the paradise of "as little regulation as is metaphysically possible" -- won't be permitted to be Uber drivers is not realistic. Not gonna happen.

SubaruLegacy

I have no doubt that Miami is different. Indeed, news stories about events in Florida in general repeatedly amaze me. :wink: No vehicle inspections whatsoever sounds dicey. In fact, I've been told on several occasions by people who have visited there that Miami itself is rather dicey in general. :wink: Nonetheless, expecting that, for example, people who can't speak English -- especially in Florida, apparently the paradise of "as little regulation as is metaphysically possible" -- won't be permitted to be Uber drivers is not realistic. Not gonna happen.
It might not be realistic, but it doesn't mean I can't 3 star them so I at least don't get matched again. Also I'm totally fine with non-english speakers being drivers...but why not only pair with them with non-english speaking pax? I'm sure language mismatches cause customer support to get a massive amount of tickets to deal with. The app is already running in spanish, so it would literally be a 1 checkbox option to add it. And if you want a ride faster, you could choose to risk it and get a driver who speaks a different language than you. (Although we are so saturated with drivers here, that's really a non-issue)

AngelAdams

So I had to take 3 daytime rides as a pax for the first time in a few months. I'm pretty annoyed as a driver now.

• Terrible advertising-When I opened the app, there's a banner I get 50% of mon-fri. That's great for me as a pax, but as a driver what good is it if Lyft never advertised it ahead of time? I never got an e-mail, push notification, text, nothing. So I saved 50%, and lyft ate 50% but it didn't actually do any useful advertising or cause me to take any more rides than I already would have. The offer also doesn't state any details, is it just this week? is it because I have 5 stars? is it because I'm a driver? Is there a limit to how much I can use it?
  • Pickup Location
    • On the newest version of the android app, the pickup location is ridiculous, it just auto sets pickup to wherever it thinks pax gps is. Pax have to know by making multiple clicks to trick it, into letting them type a different address or move pin, honestly after seeing this I'm surprised pax pins aren't worse.
  • Ride 1
    • I paid $2.28. Driver made $2.89 since it's a min fare ride. Shared ride w/ no match. 1.63miles 8m27s.
    • Driver spoke ZERO english
    • He accepted the ping even though he'd already passed me, and it's an intersection where going around the block takes 5 minutes, figured he'd be smart and cancel it, nope waited the 5 minutes for him since I wasn't in a rush.
    • Dude drives awful, keeps jumping in and out of left turn lanes to get around stop and go traffic, that no matter what he's going to have to wait in, because of this he misses my turn(there were 2 turns on the entire trip). Also because since he understood no english, he couldn't understand when I said you have to turn here at the light! Have to wait while he drives through 2 more intersections before he makes a u-turn once google maps updates and he realizes he f-ed up.
    • 3 stars so I don't match with him again
  • Ride 2
    • I paid $3.24 for the same ride in reverse.
    • I see where drivers car is, it says 5 minutes away, but I know my neighborhood and its only 3 minutes, so I'm toes to the curb. App doesn't update the entire 3 minutes to show driver is moving, until he pulls onto my street and is like 3 houses away. I'm beginning to understand maybe the tiniest morsel of why pax are never ready to go. Lyft should be pinging our driver location way way more often. If pax don't think we are moving, they are going to cancel/ or not be ready.
    • Driver's car isn't clean, but it's not filthy, good enough old crappy lyft car.
    • Guy isn't super friendly, but his english is fine, but I talk to him about some lyft stuff.
    • 5 stars +$1 tip
  • Issue with tipping...
    • The default options are $2,$4,$5, custom
    • when you click custom you can go up in $1 increments from $1-$7.97. $7.97 is a hard maximum.
    • When you hit $7.97 and go back down it goes $6.97...$5.97...$4.97...$3.97...$2.97...$1.97...$0.97
    • Who programmed this junk?
    • Why not just let custom be...custom... let pax type whatever they want? or better yet offer 15%, 20%, etc?
    • Why set an arbitrary maximum, that I assume is based on some vague algorithm? what if I'd been taking a short trip, because I had some huge piece of luggage I needed drivers help with and I wanted to give him a $10 tip?
  • Ride 3
    • I paid $2.77. Shared ride matched with a 2 pax pickup. 4.78 miles 24m56s!
    • Driver barely speaks a word of english, but she understands enough to get what I'm asking.
    • Pulls up to pick up others pax, they make her wait 5 minutes after we arrive, while they ask some ridiculously long question in spanish, that I only half understand. best I could tell they wanted her to take there friends as well in a completely different direction then they were going. Although I heard the word uber, so maybe they just needed help ordering one? Still gotta love how pax could care less about wasting other pax time.
    • I let it give her an auto 5 stars.
Now I know why when I pull up and speak in english the pax look at me like a deer in the headlights.
You bother me as a person.

Driver_Down

Ride 1 you paid $2.28.
Ride 2 you paid 3.24.
Ride 3 you paid 2.77.

Forgive him he drives his SUBIE for cheap pax and then justifies taking shared rides because he doesn’t make enough. There’s. Plenty of pax who don’t make enough yet take us everywhere.

TomTheAnt

Couple of observations from my side, since I used Lyft 5 times this week in two different markets (DFW and Syracuse, NY) while on a business trip.

1. I got plenty of emails about my 50% off of my next 10 rides promotion. Also said the promo was valid through February 5th.
  2. I’m not really interested why I’m getting the promo. I’m just glad I get it.
  3. I’d definitely be annoyed if they’d be ending my push notifications and/or texts, but I guess those would work for OP.
  4. My app showed pretty accurately the progress of the drivers at all pickups. A bit jumpy at times, yes, but I guess that’s due to data connection. Maybe iOS vs. Android thing? Dunno.
  5. Car cleanliness was definitely an issue in Syracuse. I understand that in theit climate people do carry salt and grime inside all the time, but when the whole floor in the back is white with crap, it would be good idea to spend a couple of minutes back there. Also, when your windows are so dirty from the inside that you can hardly see out, it’s time to do something.
  6. I’m also not expecting drivers to be dressed in slacks and a dress shirt, but sweats and a T-shirt? Really??? 4 out of 5 got 5 stars from me. One had a bit of trouble w/English, but it was a short ride. We understood each other okay and I couldn’t really give him much directions, anyway, since I was in unfamiliar city so I was at his mercy with navigation.
  7. At return back to DFW, my regular ride was upgraded to Black Lux. Guess the guy decided to take the risk and see if he could at least get a longer ride. Or maybe he was tired of sitting at the airport and took the first ride out.
  8. My app gave me choices to tip at certain % or customize it. Didn’t try the customization, so can’t comment how that works, but the suggested 10/15/20 worked fine. Told everybody that the tip will be in the app (company expense, ya know...) and sent them right after the app gave me the choice.

kos um uber

It might not be realistic, but it doesn't mean I can't 3 star them so I at least don't get matched again. Also I'm totally fine with non-english speakers being drivers...but why not only pair with them with non-english speaking pax? I'm sure language mismatches cause customer support to get a massive amount of tickets to deal with. The app is already running in spanish, so it would literally be a 1 checkbox option to add it. And if you want a ride faster, you could choose to risk it and get a driver who speaks a different language than you. (Although we are so saturated with drivers here, that's really a non-issue)
I do not hear i do not talk how about this

Boca Ratman

Ride 1 you paid $2.28.
Ride 2 you paid 3.24.
Ride 3 you paid 2.77.
but he tipped ONE dollar!
I don’t care about that. It was the $1 tip.
yeah, this bothered me as well. 50% off and $1.00 tip

wine. he was going on about the custom tip I was sure it was because he wanted to give more than the suggested amount. nope.
but why not only pair with them with non-english speaking pax?
Then we can push for whites with whites only / blacks with blacks only

Last edited:

June132017

I got picked up from Lyft a few time's and they were all pretty good experiences. I just don't know if I was old and couldn't walk somewhat fast it might be kind of hard to meet the driver in the middle of the block, or whatever.

AngelAdams

wine. he was going on about the custom tip I was sure it was because he wanted to give more than the suggested amount. nope.

I got a bad rating once from a college student because I told her religion is a mental disorder. Christian American black girl. That wasn’t Christian of her. Lol. Told Lyft she smelled like garlic and garbage, they removed her rating lol. I don’t care about the ratings but it was still fun to manipulate it.

SubaruLegacy

I

I tipped a dollar on a min fare ride(where we get paid $2.89) That's a 34% tip on what a driver gets paid. How much do you guys tip? Not to mention it was a straight shot down a major road so it didn't take him to a worse pickup area and he only had to deviate 2 mins out of his route to pickup and drop off. It was an easy money trip.

If someone gives me a $1 tip on a cheap trip I'm always super excited.

It's not racist to want people to be able to communicate. I'll also say every cab I've ever taken in my life regardless of the nationality or race or how new to the USA the driver was, was perfectly capable of speaking enough English to be able to communicate. So I don't think it's asking all that much.

I'm not saying match Hispanic drivers only with Hispanic people. If you speak enough English you can handle English speaking pax then there's no problem.

SubaruLegacy

rely this money will not fix a flat tire

that s why lyft going down day by day in both side pax and drivers like you
How much do you usually get tipped when you drive a min. Fare ride? How much do you expect? Not wish for, but realistically expect.

If you are expecting tip money to replace a flat tire you are going to be disappointed.