I reported a minor trying to get a ride to Uber; Uber responds by threatening me with deactivation

KenLV

I reported a minor trying to get a ride to Uber; Uber responds by threatening me with deactivation
I'm betting your local news station would love this story.

Then, when they say...

"It was a mix-up. One of our support representatives misunderstood."

...direct them to what has to be dozens (hundreds?) of other drivers who it happened to right here - myself included.

The Gift of Fish

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm betting your local news station would love this story.

Then, when they say...

"It was a mix-up. One of our support representatives misunderstood."

...direct them to what has to be dozens (hundreds?) of other drivers who it happened to right here - myself included.
It's not sensationalist enough for media to be interested, unfortunately. I did send all the information in my original post to the Today show in response to their video on "Uber drivers are putting your children at risk", but I got no response. "Uber refuses to address an issue" just isn't interesting enough, whereas blaming drivers apparently is.

Ardery

When you no show a child, it's a good idea to report it to Uber in case the child files a false report in retaliation. I phoned Uber support to report it, which started the following exchange. Where do they find these people, Morons R Us?

View attachment 258456

View attachment 258457

View attachment 258460

View attachment 258463

View attachment 258464

Hmmm..... I seem to remember Uber sending me an email a few days ago. Now, what was the title. Let's see....

View attachment 258466

Yeah uh-huh, they've got my back. Total morons.
lol
you do realize you are arguing back and forth with an email-AI-bot

Did they threaten to fire you too?

I always report it. Once, a rejected child filed a false report against me, resulting in a temporary suspension while Uber "investigated". I had already reported the child, so that probably helped get my account turned back on. I offered to supply dashcam video to show that the child was a liar, but they didn't want to see it.
when you report the under age pax attempting to take the ride, you need to put in all your complaints that the underage pax attempted to take the ride but you refused the ride.

The Gift of Fish

How do you know for certain that member was actual CSR for Uber? Because member screen name?
Just curious
This particular one claimed to be an Uber Ops manager, but there have been others. There was a poster on here called Happy Typist, who was generally regarded to be the CSR that she claimed to be. She was a US-based CSR whose job was offshore to the Phillipines. Anyway, she also confirmed that CSRs read the support requests and then respond by sending a pre-written template email from a library of responses.

They're not robots; it's not a case of C3PO sitting there doling out not responses or some bot program as Ardery et al believe. They are actual people with response quotas to fulfill, selecting answers from menus without bothering to understand the query.

https://uberpeople.net/threads/pax-reported-me-in-an-accident.270646/page-2#post-4116249

BigBadJohn

Interesting for sure. Nonetheless they sure "act" like robots with the process of sending canned templete responses. Not too much difference other than Jane is getting a payceck and vacation and holiday pay and so on and on and on and on.......

The Gift of Fish

Interesting for sure. Nonetheless they sure "act" like robots with the process of sending canned templete responses. Not too much difference other than Jane is getting a payceck and vacation and holiday pay and so on and on and on and on.......
This post of hers covers their use of template responses:

https://uberpeople.net/xfa-blog-entry/navigating-uber-support.55/

From her blog:

"The First Response

Yes, we used canned answers. This helps keep response times shorter since we don't have to hand type every single response, some of which can be very long if we're explaining a process or policy. Sometimes one of these wrong responses has the answer you're looking for but it's buried under some other information that isn't quite relevant so reading the entire message will help. Sadly, you may receive a pre-written response that has absolutely nothing to do with your question. When you respond to this, your best bet is to state your question again rather than saying that's not what you're asking. This is extra work but overseas agents have a tendency to send out the same macro over and over unless you clarify what you need"

The above is exactly what happened to me in the case of the underage pax. And just about every time any driver contacts support.

The difference for me between the reality of humans using pre-written template responses and some kind of bot program as fantasised by Ardery etc is that I would expect humans should be capable of providing quality support, whereas I would not expect an AI program to be.

And yes, as you say, Jane is getting a paycheck etc and should therefore be earning her money.

notmyfavoritething

I have only read the first two pages so far.

This reminds me of a sci-fi story written back when computers had punch cards. It started with someone in a book of the month club getting sent the wrong book, and it ended with him being executed for murdering an author who was already dead.

Wraiththe

Man, this is just great. Very encouraging. I have had similar experiences. If they really did not want us to transport minors...
1) They would stop giving minors Rideshare accounts
2) They would provide a cancel reason selection - "passenger was an unaccompanied minor."
3) They would not make the process of cancelling so frustrating.

Just cancel the trip. they cannot rate you if you cancel and put do not charge the passenger. Heck, they claim they cannot find the rider if you cannot provide them the name when you call in. Or so they say.

Another reason not to drive 19 minutes in the morning to pick up someone, that might be a 16 year old late for school.
or a parent that does not want to put the baby in a seat so they can drive the older one to school.

I believe most of the people who review these are in Malaysia. They often do not listen very well and are payed on quantity, not quality. To avoid escalating, they will fake a way to end the ticket... with out any concern for you and your well being. This has been my experience in several different jobs and service calls to these kind of call centers. It is really not funny when they repeat back what you have stated clearly... and it has NOTHING to do with what you were saying... (It is hard not to get angry with them or hang up.)

That two minute wait they ask of you... does anything really happen? I have heard it is a scam to give the caller time to relax and feel like something is being done, really they are just answering another call.

Uber could also find a way to make it work.

What is the quickest and effective way to log these events for CYA so we can move on. If we get several rides immediately after, it is like impossible to remember every detail.

DocT

2) They would provide a cancel reason selection - "passenger was an unaccompanied minor."
Not sure about iOS version, but the Android version has the unaccompanied minor option. Unfortunately, in my experience, using the unaccompanied minor option will not pay you the cancel fee, even if you wait out the 5-min timer.

note: my screenshot below is from January of this year. But the options are all in there with the new app.
Trip Cancel options.jpg

Wraiththe

Maybe I missed it and it was a good thing based on what you say about being deactivated... but I did not see it.

Pusher

Not sure about iOS version, but the Android version has the unaccompanied minor option. Unfortunately, in my experience, using the unaccompanied minor option will not pay you the cancel fee, even if you wait out the 5-min timer.

note: my screenshot below is from January of this year. But the options are all in there with the new app.View attachment 260918
iOS has that as well. I have been paid the cancellation fee before, but that does not stop them from rerequesting and getting another driver to pick them up. I pulled up a block and watched another driver pick the kid up right after I canceled on him and reported to Uber that he was a unaccompanied minor.

This is part of the problem! With the high turn over ratio, there are always going to be drivers willing to continue to pick up minors and those without car seats. Uber’s tactic of intimidation to the new drivers with the rating system in place only makes it worse since the newbies feel the pressure to make these sort of pick ups.

The high school aged kids are one thing, but what gets me are the middle school kids and elementary aged kids.

Two cases: last spring I got a pool request and when I arrived at location there was a child around 10 yrs old standing outside, but it was bus pick up time so I figured he was waiting for the bus. As I am sitting waiting for the timer to run down he comes over and knocks on the window. I crack it and he says he is my ride. I say nope I can’t take you, so he yells upstairs to his mom on the third floor who starts yelling down at me to take him. She was swearing like a sailor on leave that I was to take him since it was my “job”.

I let the timer run down - cancel and report... pull up and 5 minutes later another driver picks the kid up. For the next two days I get the same request , I figure Easy cancelation fee so why not.. second day exact same thing happens, get the cancel fee- report again- watch another driver pick him up... third day on the way to get over there again mom cancels, but after 2 min so get the fee again..

The other was a request by a girl, the address is a Dunkin Doughnut so I am thinking a morning commuter heading to work. Nope a young lady around 13 yrs old with two freinds. As I am waiting for the 5 min timer to run out I explain to the girls that I can not take them and she says to me that she gets a ride everyday from “all the other drivers”. Cancel - report- get fee.. but I am in that area most mornings at that time and have seen other drivers pick her up still.

This is the problem -> Uber knows that the “next guy” will do it regardless of those of us who will not. The practice of intimidation of the new driver and those who for whatever reason feel no reason not to since all they see is a fare and one step closer to quest will always encourage someone to continue to skirt around the rules and law in most places. They bank on this and look at it as a revenue maker, just look at all the Uber/Lyft cars pulling out of high schools each day in the morning and afternoon.

Technology has not only made people dumber, lazy, and entitled in many cases. It has for the most part discouraged many kids from wanting to get their license. I know they have made it a bit harder to get and placed more rules on kids to get one, but when I was 16 I couldn’t wait to get mine. Today with Uber and Lyft I have noticed more and more kids and young adults holding off getting theirs. I have talked with my kids freinds and nephews and nieces and they have all said the same thing. Why should they when they can just order a ride and 9/10 times regardless of them being a minor a driver will take them.

BillGsa

I asked a Va state trooper what the law is in Virginia, he didn't know but offered to find out for me.
He called me about an hour later & said there's no law against picking up unaccompanied minors at least not yet. He said there're working on it & there will be soon.
He also recommended following Ubers policy & not picking up minors.

Pusher

This article from Chicago explains why they don’t enforce it , BUT have it in the TOS

Underage Rideshare: Too Young to Ride—But Doing it Anyway

So why have such rules, if they are ignored by riders and drivers alike?

“The rule is very well crafted to fit into their legal objectives,” Greening says. “What they want to make sure is that there is not some kind of law passed against the use of their app involving strict background checks, involving fingerprints, and by making the application available only to adults, they can get around some of those requirements.”

He refers to the security checks Uber and Lyft drivers must undergo. Both companies use a third party service which checks primarily for driving mishaps, criminal convictions going back seven years, and a check of a sexual offender database.

Chicago cab drivers have long complained that they face a more rigorous fingerprint background check---and that rideshare drivers are getting off light.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcchicago.com/investigations/nbc-5-uber-lyft-underage-passengers-investigation-483277141.html?amp=y

Once again Uber’s way of looking the other way to get around regulations other transportation services have to follow.

The honeymoon period for them is fast coming to an end and they are going to be having to follow regulations other transportation companies have to follow. Hiding behind the “technology company” excuse isn’t going to fly much longer.

DollarFree

Their specialized team is a room full of chimpanzees with typewriters.
That would suggest that given enough time and enough of them they would write a meaningful reply or the complete works of Shakespeare. Chimps maybe, but not ever happening with Team Rohit.

note: my screenshot below is from January of this year. But the options are all in there with the new app.View attachment 260918
You have to wait out the 5 mins then Rider No Show them. (An adult rider you agreed to pickup didn’t show). If parents complain Uber let u keep the fee and refund the parents.