I reported a minor trying to get a ride to Uber; Uber responds by threatening me with deactivation

peteyvavs

I turn down kids all the time, if an adult is too lazy to look out for their kid I don't want to be a surrogate parent. I turn down at least 3 a week and never heard a word from FUBER.
Don't ever volunteer info on yourself, 90 percent of people in prison are there because of their own mouths.

The Gift of Fish

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just cancel, no colllect, move on.
If you want to collect $0 after you've spend time and gas driving to a pax only to have your time wasted for free, that's on you. I, however, require the no show fee.
No way the minor can then connect you to the cancellation and file any kind of report.
Wrong. I once had a request from a child who, when I told him that I would not take him, immediately cancelled his own trip. He then submitted a false report to Uber, claiming that he cancelled because "the driver had a person riding along in the car with him". I couldn't cancel the trip in that instance because the child had his finger on the trigger waiting to do it himself and then false file.
Stop trying to be a Boy Scout, change the world and all that.
Protecting your driver account from false claims by reporting incidents to Uber has nothing to do with "being a boy scout" or "changing the world". Don't be so childish.

Last edited:

The Gift of Fish

The Gift of Fish, it seems you like to swirl around with the drama that paxholes bring and are willing to waste considerable time and energy to do so. More power to you.
"Swirling around with drama", huh? Sounds quite dramatic and colourful to me, lol.

I would challenge you to a battle of wits but I see that you are unarmed. Unfortunately your contributions to this thread do not meet my minimum standards for interest or, indeed, intelligence. So onto the ignore list you go; bye for now!

AuxCordTherapy

Isn’t this every lawyer’s wet dream? Uber’s terms of service say we’re not to take unaccompanied minors and to report them. Driver follows rules and reports minor, Uber shifts the blame onto the driver and threatens with deactivation.

The Gift of Fish

Isn’t this every lawyer’s wet dream? Uber’s terms of service say we’re not to take unaccompanied minors and to report them. Driver follows rules and reports minor, Uber shifts the blame onto the driver and threatens with deactivation.
I see what you're saying, but probably not. In order for lawyers to be interested, they have to smell money; a loss of some kind to be recovered, and I didn't suffer any loss from this incident.

Transeau

That would make for an amazing about of negative press.

I see what you're saying, but probably not. In order for lawyers to be interested, they have to smell money; a loss of some kind to be recovered, and I didn't suffer any loss from this incident.
Not necessarily, plenty of young lawyers that would take this just get famous.

AuxCordTherapy

In most cases, yes. But you don’t have to necessarily suffer monetary losses for a lawyer to take your case. I mean they’re essentially violating their own terms of service and threatening you with deactivation for following their own ToS, hilarious. And of course if you spoke to someone from the United States this wouldn’t have happened, but it’s not your fault they have incompetent support who can’t comprehend basic English.

The Gift of Fish

In most cases, yes. But you don’t have to necessarily suffer monetary losses for a lawyer to take your case. I mean they’re essentially violating their own terms of service and threatening you with deactivation for following their own ToS, hilarious. And of course if you spoke to someone from the United States this wouldn’t have happened, but it’s not your fault they have incompetent support who can’t comprehend basic English.
Correct, a loss does not have to be monetary in order for a case to be brought. For example, when I was rear ended by an idiot texting on his phone, I suffered physical loss (pain, injury, loss of mobility) and I could claim compensation for it. I contacted lawyers, they could all smell the compensation money and they were falling over themselves for me to retain them. However, in this case I personally suffered no ill-effects or loss of any kind, monetary or not, from Uber failing to take action and threatening me.

I guess a lawyer could try to claim that Uber's threatening behaviour and false accusations caused me some kind of emotional damage (this is California, after all) and that I am owed compensation for it but I think that'd be stretching things very far.

Last edited:

Rex8976

Step 1 Verify name.

Step 2 Verify age.

Step 3 TOS prohibits unaccompanied minors.

Step 4 Be verbally abused OR
Decline to speak to Mommy.

Step 5 Run out the clock and cancel.

Step 6 Go on with life. No report to Uber.

Transeau

I think you missed my point - there are no damages here that I could claim. What would I claim that my own personal loss was of Uber's failure to take responsibility?
I believe the benefit would be for the drivers as a whole and not an individual. As we are in California, there may be a large settlement for violating state laws as well as their own ToS

The Gift of Fish

I believe the benefit would be for the drivers as a whole and not an individual. As we are in California, there may be a large settlement for violating state laws as well as their own ToS
We're talking different languages here; you're not understanding my point.

Anyway, I do agree with you that Uber should stop violating their terms of service. They also badly need some outside help to assist them in setting up functional customer support, obviously.

404NofFound

I think it was the CBS Sunday morning show. They had a reporter order rides. They had cameramen hiding in the shadows. They employed child actors to attempt to get the ride. When some shmuck said yes they swooped in like dateline.