I refused a pregnant woman a ride.

corrado

I'm good bro. I live in the most expensive city in America. My affairs are handled.
"I have been a cab driver, livery driver, and uberx driver in San Frsncisco. I have always made pretty good money. I made the least while working as a cab driver. This city is becoming unlivable when it comes to money. Sounds like the cost of living in Arizona is pretty low. I have family in Tucson. I have always loved Arizona. Maybe it's time to move."
Doesnt sound like it from that post. Bro

JimS

I've done 825 trips, I haven't "kicked out" anyone before, though certainly cancelled and driven away a few times if things looked dodgy. I know I come across badly retelling what is a rare incident but you sound like a plutonium-grade jackass in comparison.
Yes. I may be. But I don't kick out pregnant women. At 825 trips with an average of 4.9, a 1-star would have brought you down to 4.895 or, rounded, 4.9.

RainbowPlate

The only thing that might have any chance of making me think twice about this situation is media coverage. Remember: Consumer complaints are always 100% truthful and 100% complete -- at least in the eyes of local-yokel media. All it takes is one third-rate Poopsville reporter with a deadline to meet to ruin whatever plans you have regarding Uberlyft.

Compare: The idiotic whine-bratting by pax (and reporters) about service dogs and wheelchairs.

veblenrules

I would consider myself a pleasant professional driver, as backed up by my 4.9 rating. Occasionally though I might see the red mist and I wonder if I'm actually as nice as I thought or slowly being corrupted and jaded by Uber.

I accept a request and see that the pin is in the center of a large store along a busy road in North-East LA. When I get there I can't actually see the entrance because a bus is parked there. I go a little past the bus and pull up. In the mirror I see the pax approach, waddling a bit and carrying a box. I lean over and open the door for her. As she climbs in I can see she has a face like thunder. "What's up?" "Nothing." "No, what is it?" "You saw me - I can't believe you parked over here." "Excuse me?" "You made me walk!"

At this point a couple of voices start up in my head. The first says no matter what you do from now on this pax is going to 1-star you. The second says you are an "independent contractor" and you can control this. I say, "Maybe I should just cancel this ride and you can request someone else because you have a really bad attitude."
"I'm sorry," she says, "I'm pregnant and tired." Should I reconsider? But the voice keeps saying 1-star, 1-star-1-star. I announce "I'm cancelling this ride", hit "do not charge rider", get out, take her box and put it back out on the curb. She climbs miserably out. "Perhaps you'll be nicer to the next driver," I say and head off.

For a while I think maybe I just acted like Satan Incarnate. But the rating system made me do this! If I wasn't concerned about getting 1-starred, I could have just sucked it up. Does Uber realise trips are being cancelled left right and center because of fear of a bad rating? It seems a bit nuts to me.
Golly. People always complain about rude taxi drivers and now UberX too? What's thw world coming to? I'll tell you what it's comin to; if a driver can't make a decent living and if he/she feels like the game isrigged to screw him/her around, sdervice will suffer. Duh!
I would consider myself a pleasant professional driver, as backed up by my 4.9 rating. Occasionally though I might see the red mist and I wonder if I'm actually as nice as I thought or slowly being corrupted and jaded by Uber.

I accept a request and see that the pin is in the center of a large store along a busy road in North-East LA. When I get there I can't actually see the entrance because a bus is parked there. I go a little past the bus and pull up. In the mirror I see the pax approach, waddling a bit and carrying a box. I lean over and open the door for her. As she climbs in I can see she has a face like thunder. "What's up?" "Nothing." "No, what is it?" "You saw me - I can't believe you parked over here." "Excuse me?" "You made me walk!"

At this point a couple of voices start up in my head. The first says no matter what you do from now on this pax is going to 1-star you. The second says you are an "independent contractor" and you can control this. I say, "Maybe I should just cancel this ride and you can request someone else because you have a really bad attitude."
"I'm sorry," she says, "I'm pregnant and tired." Should I reconsider? But the voice keeps saying 1-star, 1-star-1-star. I announce "I'm cancelling this ride", hit "do not charge rider", get out, take her box and put it back out on the curb. She climbs miserably out. "Perhaps you'll be nicer to the next driver," I say and head off.

For a while I think maybe I just acted like Satan Incarnate. But the rating system made me do this! If I wasn't concerned about getting 1-starred, I could have just sucked it up. Does Uber realise trips are being cancelled left right and center because of fear of a bad rating? It seems a bit nuts to me.
Golly, people used to complain about rude taxi drivers and now this! Maybe there's a common denominator between taxis and UberX. How about starving to death for a living and feeling like the game is rigged to screw the driver around? Duh!

Optimus Uber

You did the right thing. Regardless of her condition, we all have the ability to behave as adults. She acted like a child and she was disciplined as one. As long as you didn't lose your cool and the way you explained the situation to her with a level head, you did good.

Say you just twisted your ankle and are in allot of pain and someone comes up to you and says can I help you? Would you give that person an attitude because you are in allot of pain or would you be gracious and thank them. The fact is, you were there to help and she is an over expecting @@@@@!! Regardless of being pregnant. It's a condition she has lived with for a bit, it didn't happen while she was shopping in the store. Giving someone an attitude that you do not know, is not acceptable in any circumstances what so ever considering you were there top help here, even loading what she had purchased from the store. She had no right to treat you with that disrespect.

The pregnancy card she used on you was an attempt to justify/make an excuse for her behaving like an child. She is an adult and needs to carry herself like one.

Man, you did the right thing. Some may disagree, but miserable people will always be miserable regardless of their condition. She had no right to come off with an attitude when you were there to help her.

To me, this has nothing to do with the rating as it does the lack of respect. I don't take that attitude from my kids, I sure as the hell am not going to take that attitude from any adult.

This was training, not just for her, but for her unborn child as well. Imagine, someone like that procreating and unleashing another over expecting rude person in the world. She got schooled, let's hope she learns from it and passes off some descent manners to her child.

One of uber's feedback that a passenger can give a driver is professionalism. Well first of all, we are ride share, not professional drivers, so uber can shove the professionalism up their, you know what.

But if uber is expecting professionalism from their Transportation Network of Drivers then the same goes for the passengers. If it is now a work environment and professionalism is the status quo, then the same goes for the passenger. In life you get what you give.

I'm not a professional driver, I'm an Uber driver. That's going to be my new tag line

Last edited:

Baby Cakes

I had the same exact thing happen man, I drive to the address shown on the map and its this gated off industrial area. So I be proactive and drive a few addresses down to find where the pax would be more likely to be but no ones at these other more open places. No luck there so I go back to the first place, after all its the one listed on the app, a few minutes pass and she comes out from another business walking to my car asking me why I parked so far. As soon as she made that comment I should have canceled.

Disgusted Driver

Maybe 5 times in 4000 rides I have cancelled the ride before it started. Once because of an entitled dick who asked for an aux cable as he was getting in and said - 1 star for you for not having one. The other times were all overload calls, 5 or 6 people trying to cram in. Won't do it and won't take just 4 of them because you will get screwed on ratings.

If it had been me, all would have been good when she apologized. I would have given her the ride and tried to relate with her on the ride. A one star isn't going to kill you and it's unlikely that would be the outcome anyway. I would have a hard time leaving someone stranded who was in need.

DieselkW

I want your crystal ball, the one that "knows" she was going to give you a 1* rating.
You were so sure that it was going to be a problem you couldn't handle?

She was upset that you made her walk, so how is she after you made her wait for another ride? You don't know her situation, she might have really needed to be somewhere, was frustrated that her belly was getting places before she was, carrying packages as well....

I hope I see you in need somewhere so I can somehow know what you're going to do next and leave you hanging because of the conversation I'm having in my head.

Psycho.

AJUber

you did exactly what you had to do. how many stories are on this forum about the same thing, one complaint or complaints before the ride starts .....automatic cancel and leave ....she would of 1 star you so hard. she cara nothing about you and she probably was not really sorry. you did exactly what you should of did.

tell her to call Uber and blame them. peace, adios, we the drivers won't miss you.

Optimus Uber

I would have a hard time leaving someone stranded who was in need.

Really?? Don't you think a bit over dramatic??

She was only a touch of a button from another uber. So 5 more minutes to wait for another uber is stranded?? A bit of a thespian, aren't we??

She wasn't left in the middle of a desert

She wasn't stranded in the least. And the wait I'm sure did her well as she could think how to talk to the next driver with respect

It's not like she was giving birth

Last edited:

RamzFanz

"Miss, If I didn't understand how hard pregnancy is through my own kids, I would cancel and leave you here, because Uber doesn't accept any low ratings for any reason, even an innocent mistake"

"I swear to you, I didn't see you and would never make a pregnant woman walk."

"But I'm not going to make your day harder even if you're mad."

"Please, have a cold water and relax and I'll get you where you're headed safe and sound."

Pleasant music, light conversation, she's back in a good place.

Or just cancel, probably safer, just not how I roll. :smiles:

sidewazzz

And for the ones giving OP a hard time note this : if it wasnt for the shitty rating system uber has he would have taken her,thats at least what i believe. Everyone of us know to respect a pregnant woman and bear with her attitude but how about getting a 1 star at the cost of losing your job on top of all that.
Blame uber for allowing clients getting drivers fired because of their shitty mistakes and ratings i must say.

If you're concerned abour getting 1 star on 1 ride or you're in a position that may get you deactivated then you're clearly doing something wrong.

KeJorn

I have kicked out 2 passengers that were clearly stoned and/or drunk, because the girl began giving attitude and insisting to her male friend that I should enter their address in the app for them... even though it would have been easier for her to, esp to make sure it is correct. At that point, it wasn't the fear of getting a low score that time... my gut just told me this would not go well and I didn't care how far they wanted to go, it simply wasn't worth it. I told them to get out and cancelled the ride. She slammed my door when she got out and sat on the curb glaring at me. I didn't feel bad at all.

I am learning to trust my 6th sense on these...
However, once I start the trip... it's too late, so I remain committed. Then if I sense an attitude, I try to offset things if I see a way to.
I have managed to turn a few negatives into something more pleasant. But it doesn't always work. Some people are just @@@@@@@@.

Don't fret over the ratings too much.
Save those tough choices for the ones that really deserve it.

Nick781

I don't think you should feel horrible... But at least kind of bad. Lol

I've got a 4.92 rating after 6 months, and I would totally still risk a lower rating for a pregnant lady. I would try my best to explain I didn't see her. Hopefully get at least a 4 by the end.

I definitely have a short temper and wait a while before starting trips with "bro" passengers. If I get a bad vibe I'll tell them to get out and cancel-no charge. One interaction was a guy: *roll down window* "You here for 'Brad'?" "Yes." "Good answer. I would've given you shit." *lock doors* "Don't give the next driver shit." *drive off*

Same way here. Last year I kicked out someone cause they were @@@@@ing about having a cigarette allergy.

Danz Haagen

NO worries. If my mom told me she would 1 star me. She hits the curb :p lol. And if I can do this to my mom. pregnant lady is no problem. While the Uber App is ON. Good rating is all that matters. If you pregnant, that does not mean you can be an @@@@@@@. At least in my world, you are not immune to getting thrown out of my vehicle....

Once Uber App is OFF. I become human again.

Last edited: