• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

I refused a cash tip!

CJfrom619

And it felt good. First and maybe only time I’ll turn down a cash tip. Im someone who is grateful if a rider gives me .50 cents in quarters as a tip because thats .50 cents more then most riders tip.

This was my first pickup of the day. She was an older lady with a 4.96 rating so I thought it was gonna be an uneventful ride. She gets in the car and immediately asked me to take a right out of her apartment complex. As i take a right turn out of the street she yells “ I said take a left. Great now were going to have to go the long way around!”. She continues for another minute being disrespectful asking me how hard is it to follow directions. Now mind you i grew up 1 mile away from her. I know the area better then the mailman. Me going right or left made no difference but if a rider has a preference then thats good enough for me I won’t fight them. I dont say another word the entire ride. She continues to bark directions all the way to her destination which was a church 2 miles down the street.

I was wondering why she had a high rating if she was such a pain in the ass. Then i saw it. A couple minutes from church she starts going in her purse to pull out 2 $1 bills. I know these riders. The ones who act out on rides but give you a tip to makeup for their disrespectful behavior.

When i drop her off I don’t say anything. She goes to hand me the $2. I look at her right in the eyes and say “I don’t want that.” I made sure to say I don’t want that instead of no thanks because I want her to feel the disrespect that she gave me. She looked stunned and almost remorseful when i said that. Almost like i was saying I don’t want your money. Her reaction was exactly what i was looking for. Putting that old lady’s behavior in check. She puts her money back into her purse and says thanks for the ride which i don’t respond too. She says thank you 2 more times as she was taking her time getting out almost waiting for me to respond. I didnt give her the satisfaction of saying your welcome. I 1 starred her knowing she was probably one of those riders who cares about their high ratings. Sometimes these riders need to be put in their place. When you disrespect someone then dont be surprised if they return the favor.

JasonLV23

And it felt good. First and maybe only time I’ll turn down a cash tip. Im someone who is grateful if a rider gives me .50 cents in quarters as a tip because thats .50 cents more then most riders tip.

This was my first pickup of the day. She was an older lady with a 4.96 rating so I thought it was gonna be an uneventful ride. She gets in the car and immediately asked me to take a right out of her apartment complex. As i take a right turn out of the street she yells “ I said take a left. Great now were going to have to go the long way around!”. She continues for another minute being disrespectful asking me how hard is it to follow directions. Now mind you i grew up 1 mile away from her. I know the area better then the mailman. Me going right or left made no difference but if a rider has a preference then thats good enough for me I won’t fight them. I dont say another word the entire ride. She continues to bark directions all the way to her destination which was a church 2 miles down the street.

I was wondering why she had a high rating if she was such a pain in the ass. Then i saw it. A couple minutes from church she starts going in her purse to pull out 2 $1 bills. I know these riders. The ones who act out on rides but give you a tip to makeup for their disrespectful behavior.

When i drop her off I don’t say anything. She goes to hand me the $2. I look at her right in the eyes and say “I don’t want that.” I made sure to say I don’t want that instead of no thanks because I want her to feel the disrespect that she gave me. She looked stunned and almost remorseful when i said that. Almost like i was saying I don’t want your money. Her reaction was exactly what i was looking for. Putting that old lady’s behavior in check. She puts her money back into her purse and says thanks for the ride which i don’t respond too. She says thank you 2 more times as she was taking her time getting out almost waiting for me to respond. I didnt give her the satisfaction of saying your welcome. I 1 starred her knowing she was probably one of those riders who cares about their high ratings. Sometimes these riders need to be put in their place. When you disrespect someone then dont be surprised if they return the favor.
PERFECT!

JasonLV23

PERFECT... though on second thought you could have also taken the two dollars and not said thank you and still gave her a 1 star... the no thank you while taking the $2 would have spoke even louder maybe?

The Texan

Did you mention, that you have the correct directions on the app?

When I have people that start barking out directions, I politlely remind them of the app.

And, when they do occasionally know a better way to their destination- I listen to that too.

I did leave an older woman at an Auto Parts store- good part of town- when she blamed me for her putting the destination in the app wrong!
She was going to her dentist! LOL

CJfrom619

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don’t worry about $2. Her reaction was better then a $10 tip to me. I understand most drivers would still take that $2 too and I don’t blame them.

Understand though. Me not taking her money was what i wanted. I wanted her to feel like her money was no good to me.

I do pretty well on tips. $2 certainly isnt gonna make or break the day. My last ride of the day gave me a $20 spot but then i tipped the hostess at my restaurant $10 on a $18 carry out order. What goes around comes around?
Post automatically merged:

CC1F2EAF-83EB-4611-97B6-67F60BF34603.png
9DABC1FF-85E1-4CD5-9B18-97B391A05671.png

Post automatically merged:

Lol, why are you doing Uber if you're not taking tips?

Old people on Uber/Lyft: cringe.
First and maybe only time I’ll turn down a cash tip.
Maybe you missed my second sentence.

Last edited:

Pax Collector

She gets in the car and immediately asked me to take a right out of her apartment complex. As i take a right turn out of the street she yells “ I said take a left. Great now were going to have to go the long way around!”. She continues for another minute being disrespectful asking me how hard is it to follow directions.
And just like that you let a perfect usage of the EJECT button slip away.

DirtyRead

I totally agree with the way you handle it. Life aint all about money and money don't buy class or the right to to be an ass. I am big on word choice. You not saying you are welcome is the perfect response or non response because she is not welcome in your car. And silence can speak volumes. Her two bucks weren't worth her two cents.

grayspinner

I did that once - total @@@@@ who I drove in terrible weather (made bank on long hauling the heck out of the ride cause it was crazy high xl surge & I'd already given her a piece of my mind) - she had started the ride with 'we'll tip you big' and at the drip off she tried to give me money & I said, 'the LAST thing I want is money from YOU' and refused to take it.

She left it on the center console and left embarrassed and apologetic. I made $82 on the ride and she left me $30 cash and I still regret driving her anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

mbd

old people become grumpy, that is part of being old
When old people get into my vehicle, I know they are old, so I change my gear..yes ma'am, yes sir, thank you... doesn't matter what they say

Old people need to be graded under a curve system....

loophole

Lol, why are you doing Uber if you're not taking tips?

Old people on Uber/Lyft: cringe.

Got a first timer on Fuber today, old bastard texted me where he was beforehand in the congested parking lot, then was headed to the movies by himself. He tipped me $5, told me he worked service industry in his lifetime, even asked me if 5 was ok or not, old folks.... though many can be a PITA, they tend to tip most often, I'll take an old ladies roll of dimes any day, just in case I need to punch a PAX if he or she tries slitting my throat or something, gives that punch a lil extra oomph

Last edited:

blackeleven

This post reminded me of this ride from Morena/Clairemont Dr area. App says Morena to Balboa to Mt. Everest..

And she has a loud mouth and insists Denver to Clairemont Dr to Burgener through Tecolote yada yada yada

I obeyed and I don't remember if I acted to Butt-Hurt or not.
Screenshot_20190514-040431.png
Screenshot_20190514-040400.png

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
I would have taken the $2 tip, thanked her, and given her 5*. Yes, I'm a sellout.

That's fine though...you do you, I'll do me.

Benjamin M

Did you mention, that you have the correct directions on the app?

When I have people that start barking out directions, I politlely remind them of the app.

And, when they do occasionally know a better way to their destination- I listen to that too.

I did leave an older woman at an Auto Parts store- good part of town- when she blamed me for her putting the destination in the app wrong!
She was going to her dentist! LOL
I deal with it on a daily basis. They don't care if you have GPS, even when it has real-time traffic information.

I've also had tons of people that don't want to take the highway, rather drive straight through the city with more traffic and tons of lights. Not a single pax can give me a reason, other than thinking it's shorter. I have to point out it's nearly twice the duration and that it's harder on my car - brakes and fuel efficiency.

To the OP - bravo!! You handled that perfectly!!