• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

I received a notice of violation of $ 4,040.00 for not displaying the airport sign

I received a notice of violation of $ 4,040.00 for not displaying the airport sign, what to do ?

• Get a lawer

Votes: 32 88.9%
  • File a motion

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters

Stacy Proo

Hi everyone!
I'm very new here. I'd appreciate any help from you guys !

Here is my story:
I was waiting at the Midway Airport when a guy came to my car and asked me if i'm an uber driver, I said Yes !
He said he is from City of Chicago and he wants to see all the signs i have on my car. So I had all the signs on my car - except the plane sign on the rear. So i get a request, and i accept that cause i had to ( I wanted to qualify for the guarantee fare). He said ohh you got a request, ok give me the ID. So i give him the ID...he takes a pic of it ...and i ask ...am i getting a ticket, He is like no..i can not tell you, you will receive something in your mail. Ok, and i leave cause i had a pick up.

So guess what, yesterday I received a violation notice.... Idk it's called "Findings, Decisions & Order " of $4,040.00. It says I did not show him the ID, the uber sign , the plane sign , fail to carry a copy of the TNP agreement or terms of service, and Transportation network vehicles - Failure to display distinctive signage- SO basically he lied - that's the think i hate from all this situation...

Guys i'm not joking !! I am in shock ! I have no idea what to do. I went to uber today and they said there is nothing they can do, i'll have to go in court. Please if anyone know anything i'd highly appreciate any advice/idea.

Thank's in advance !!!!!!!!!! Sorry for the mistakes!

Dontmakemepullauonyou

Hi everyone!

Here is my story:
I was waiting at the Midway Airport when a guy came to my car and asked me if i'm an uber driver, I said Yes !
He said he is from City of Chicago and he wants to see all the signs i have on my car. So I had all the signs on my car - except the plane sign on the rear. So i get a request, and i accept that cause i had to ( I wanted to qualify for the guarantee fare). He said ohh you got a request, ok give me the ID. So i give him the ID...he takes a pic of it ...and i ask ...am i getting a ticket, He is like no..i can not tell you, you will receive something in your mail. Ok, and i leave cause i had a pick up.

So guess what, yesterday I received a violation notice.... Idk it's called "Findings, Decisions & Order " of $4,040.00. It says I did not show him the ID, the uber sign , the plane sign , fail to carry a copy of the TNP agreement or terms of service, and Transportation network vehicles - Failure to display distinctive signage- SO basically he lied - that's the think i hate from all this situation...

Guys i'm not joking !! I am in shock ! I have no idea what to do. I went to uber today and they said there is nothing they can do, i'll have to go in court. Please if anyone know anything i'd highly appreciate any advice/idea.

Get a lawyer. Or go to court yourself with all of the paperwork and plead not guilty if that's even an option and schedule a court date where that guy has to show up and be questioned.

MD138

Hi everyone!

Here is my story:

No offense, but why didn't you have the sign in the back?? There's no way you couldn't have known about it, EVERYONE has it. And Uber AND Lyft sent out massive emails and texts months ago about it.

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd

Welcome to driving in the City. Don't take it personally, they crap on everybody. Enforcement is aggressive bordering on predatory. It's a profit center for the City/Crook County gov'ments.

You probably try calling a few traffic lawyers. Most of them will talk to you for a few minutes at least and let you know what you're up against...if there's a real possibility of getting it kicked.

Jinxstone

Call a lawyer. You're supposed to get a hearing before they can fine you. Did you miss a notice? I don't believe you're required to have a copy of the regs with you but you need to show your vehicle inspection, license and insurance card if asked and to have the signage in the appropriate places. Also, if you have a tinted rear window put the airport placard on the outside. It has to be visible from 50 feet away even though the airport regs don't explicitly state that (that's in a different ordinance). They piled those tickets on so you'll be better off getting an attorney. Maybe he/she can get some charges dismissed or reduced but hardly anyone walks out of Superior Street without paying something. Good luck to you.

75drive

Get a lawyer. Or go to court yourself with all of the paperwork and plead not guilty if that's even an option and schedule a court date where that guy has to show up and be questioned.[/QUOTE
Good advice! I'd hold off on a lawyer for now anyway. Go to court and if you think you can't handle it ask for a continuance so you can retain a lawyer. Also be prepared do your research!

AllenChicago

You'd think that these Chicago ticket-writers get a commission! From what I read, they're pretty aggressive. Why would one even come up and ask if you're a Uber/Lyft driver? If one asked me, I'd just say "NO". (I display no signage.. only in Chicago 2x @ week, max. thank god)

WestSubDriver

Sorry to hear you got pinched. That sucks! Sounds like he just threw down every violation possible which sounds like it isn't supported by your version of the facts. I would consult with an attorney and you'll have to weigh whether you think the attorney can get this reduced by more than they are going to charge you. Either way, you need to appear in court (I'm assuming it gave you an appearance date) and tell your side of the story. Hopefully you can get it reduced to something not so outrageous. Unfortunately, "I didn't know I needed to have that stuff" or "Uber didn't tell me that I needed it" will not be good defenses unless the judge is feeling very charitable.

This is a warning to all of us that the city minions are out there to collect their pound of flesh. Don't rely on Uber to tell you what you need to do with regards to trade dress, etc. As we know, "it is not their problem".

The City of Chicago webpage for Transportation Network Providers is at:

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/bacp/supp_info/transportation-network-providers.html

One of the key documents is the "Know How to Identify a TNP". A little out of date (yes, shocking) since it mentions that TNPs can't pick up at the airports but it mentions all these things that OP mentioned above.

ZKUSHIKURIDOTO

Consumer services? Is it a blue ticket? They're pissed off because no more income from taxi drivers, that office on Ogden is empty, used to take you all day to get anything done there. Don't worry about it, you'll probably pay just $75.

Wow, that's horrible. A lawyer might be able to get it thrown out on a technicality. This is why I will never do an airport pickup. Too many cops.

REX HAVOC

Hi everyone!

Here is my story:

What did Uber say. Are they offering any support. I would definitely fight it. You might want to consult with an attorney as well.

U for Uber

This is insane. Just the thought of a fine like this is presentable is enough to make me quit right now today. And to get a lawyer, go to court, court fines in the hundreds?? Just a unnecessary headache to have. Feel bad for the OP. Good mfkn Luck, man.

WestSubDriver

As a cautionary warning for the rest of us, were you sitting in the holding lot at Midway? That is what it sounds like if you said you got a ping while he was standing there talking to you. A warning to all those drivers out there who wait for rides at the airports.

Hi everyone!

Here is my story:

A default order has been entered against you. Go immediately to the 400 W Superior Central Hearing Facility. Go through security and to the desk on your right. Bring your notice with you. You only have 21 days from the date the notice was mailed (it should be stamped on the default order) . Tell the clerk you need to file a Motion to Vacate a Default Order. You'll need to tell the clerk the reason you didn't show up for the first hearing and it must be "good cause". If you need assistance their are a few lawyers prowling the halls around there. Do not delay on this, they are very serious on the 21 day rule.

WestSubDriver

A default order has been entered against you. Go immediately to the 400 W Superior Central Hearing Facility. Go through security and to the desk on your right. Bring your notice with you. You only have 21 days from the date the notice was mailed (it should be stamped on the default order) . Tell the clerk you need to file a Motion to Vacate a Default Order. You'll need to tell the clerk the reason you didn't show up for the first hearing and it must be "good cause". If you need assistance their are a few lawyers prowling the halls around there. Do not delay on this, they are very serious on the 21 day rule.
Wow! Glad someone chimed in who knows more about this. If she was issued a citation shouldn't it have been given to her right there and then? That would obviously be "good cause" to vacate the default order.