• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

I quit and reported uber to the ftc

Do you think its worth the effort to report to ftc?

• Total voters

nameless313

I am done with uber specifically. Ubers upfront pricing is a bigger fraud then I originally though it was, the upfront pricing is a huge scam that effects the drivers more than we as drivers may be aware of. My last week I asked riders what they paid. Uber took 58% and that is NOT INCLUDING their booking fees. We signed up and agreed to a percentage of the fares. They show us a different amount on our app that doesn't show the real fare. Its always more than we see!

I REPORTED THEIR UPFRONT PRICING SCAM TO THE FTC.

If everyone who read this did the same right now, if you all took 5 minutes to report them, they wouldn't get away with it anymore.

I didn't do this for me, guys and girls. I did this for all of us! Probably at the expense only never being able to drive for them again. Which is totally worth not getting clearly ripped off.

Everyone who quit and everyone that sees what their doing should do the same and make an official fraud report to the ftc!

nameless313

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov

1. You go there. This is the official ftc site.
2. File complaint under "making money, jobs", under this tab I selected business opportunities. (there are a few that are relevant)
3. Next tab I click that " I initiated contact"
4. Next tab, I guestimated what their cut has been of my earning this year in this tab. Which was about 25,000 to my knowledge.
5. Next tab is company info, I used the green light location in Michigan for the company location and "uber" for everything else in company fields.
5. Next tab is contact into. I used my real name and Phone number address etc.
6." Additional details" I detailed how upfront pricing is not a real fixed percentage to us as we agreed to, which in my case is 72% of all farss. That the real fares was always more than what they show on our app and customers pay a higher price that is hidden from us. And that they control the app completely and hide this real price from us.
7. That was it! If this helps it was well with it, in detail, step by step for you guys!!

I totally feel it was worth it. I dont think there is anything wrong with guestimated your payments to uber as well. All this does is open the door for them to investigate fraud. Whatever you put in makes a difference and they will find out what is really going on when they launch a real investigation. So don't be to worried out being accurate. They will find out. All they need is a push from as many driver as possible to show how significant this is.

Trafficat

At first I was very angry about the upfront fare thing.

But it looks like our contract is for 75% of the actual mileage and time rate, and so I'm not sure if we have a leg to stand on based on the contract.

And having seen the occasional report of a driver making more than the upfront fee, it seems Uber at least sometimes takes a loss doing it. (Although I bet on average they make a huge profit).

The upfront fee is potentially less stressful to the passenger so he knows his rate ahead of time and cannot accuse the driver of taking a bad route to charge him more money. I've also heard passengers say they use Uber because they know how much they are paying in advance.

So right now I don't really know any more whether I should be angry or happy about it.

Whenever a passenger brings up that I have made a turn they didn't agree with or asks about driver pay I always explain how the upfront fee thing works.

I wish the passenger knew how much the driver was making so that we would get more tips. I bet a lot of guys don't tip because the think $30 for their fare is a huge amount of money and expects the driver got $25 out of it, when it may be that the driver got $12.

Last edited:

Shangsta

You are free to report them but you don't have much of a leg to stand on. Uber never promised you 75% of what the pax pays. They cleverly worded our contract to do what they do.

You are free to quit but the saaviest drivers always out think Uber.

They add pool? Dont accept pool rides
They stop showing pax rating? Blast CSR with emails
Upfront fare scam? Drive the long way so you get a higher cut.

Trafficat

Thankfully there is no pool where I live, but if they add it I don't intend to accept any of them until they give the driver a higher cut of the pool pay.

nameless313

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ftc got back to me with a vague email about identifying scams.

I'm pretty sure that means no scam found for upfront pricing...

There has been a big discussion about this in the advice section of the forum, everyone says it's in contract that they can do this legally....

Still sucks but whatevs.

Still, reporting them to ftc was very easy to do. Will keep that in mind.

And also. No I will never drive for uber again. Have not since and don't plan on it anytime soon.

Don't care about surge or any of their crap. I drive for Lyft and I'm very happy with their business model. I make more, they take less. Power driver bonus is pretty sweet. Less pressure and way way less scare tactics. Any company that uses scare tactics for ratings etc like uber isn't worth giving my car and time to.

Strange Fruit

Bingo. Someone read their agreement.
I know. So many saying we are getting ripped off by this and I'm thinking, "but they pay us what we agreed" and wonder if I'm the foolish one. It looks others have seen the agreement too. It's not that fair. It's not that decent, but those things don't matter in
America. Uber has the power. I haven't asked for fares lately, not since months ago when up front began. They were a pretty close match when I used to check. I frequently take longer routes when it's reasonable. In SF there's usually a few good routes, and one of them is often the faster moving route that happens to be an extra mile over the "quickest route", and sometimes the longest route is about the same time as the shorter quickest route, especially when direct is through city streets, but the freeway goes around past destination a bit and back but is still fast cuz it's the freeway. And it occupies your mind with yet another strategy game to paly on the Uber system.

Google maps is easier to see what's what than Waze. After yuou hit the navigate button and it goes to Goog maps, just touch the overview button and you can see 3 routes with their relative times to the quickest default route. Your customer isn't paying the extra so yr conscience is free. And if you know your city you'll know on your own to drive the opposite way towards a longer route and Google will soon reroute to that route, even if it wasan't showing from the beginning.

crazy916

At first I was very angry about the upfront fare thing.

But it looks like our contract is for 75% of the actual mileage and time rate, and so I'm not sure if we have a leg to stand on based on the contract.

And having seen the occasional report of a driver making more than the upfront fee, it seems Uber at least sometimes takes a loss doing it. (Although I bet on average they make a huge profit).

The upfront fee is potentially less stressful to the passenger so he knows his rate ahead of time and cannot accuse the driver of taking a bad route to charge him more money. I've also heard passengers say they use Uber because they know how much they are paying in advance.

So right now I don't really know any more whether I should be angry or happy about it.

Whenever a passenger brings up that I have made a turn they didn't agree with or asks about driver pay I always explain how the upfront fee thing works.

I wish the passenger knew how much the driver was making so that we would get more tips. I bet a lot of guys don't tip because the think $30 for their fare is a huge amount of money and expects the driver got $25 out of it, when it may be that the driver got $12.
You are free to report them but you don't have much of a leg to stand on. Uber never promised you 75% of what the pax pays. They cleverly worded our contract to do what they do.

You are free to quit but the saaviest drivers always out think Uber.

They add pool? Dont accept pool rides
They stop showing pax rating? Blast CSR with emails
Upfront fare scam? Drive the long way so you get a higher cut.
Uber also states that all payment by the rider is considered payment to us. Upfront pricing is just stealth surge that Uber doesn't inform us about or feel we should be paid for.

Strange Fruit

And does everyone know there is a current lawsuit over this very thing. Check the news section. I think it's there from a few days ago. Article makes no mention of how the lawyer intends to deal with the fact that we agree to the mile/minute rate minus 25%, or 20% for those who haven't lost that somehow (yep, still bitter)

crazy916

And does everyone know there is a current lawsuit over this very thing. Check the news section. I think it's there from a few days ago. Article makes no mention of how the lawyer intends to deal with the fact that we agree to the mile/minute rate minus 25%, or 20% for those who haven't lost that somehow (yep, still bitter)
I would spin it as a surge multiplier that should be paid to the driver, but I am not an attorney.

Strange Fruit

Where do they say that?
I believe that's a PR message from years ago. And Uber PR statements have a solid history of anti-veracity. I believe Uber's lawyers frequently use the "c'mon, no one takes the public statements of my client seriously" defense.

Dapper

I am done with uber specifically. Ubers upfront pricing is a bigger fraud then I originally though it was, the upfront pricing is a huge scam that effects the drivers more than we as drivers may be aware of. My last week I asked riders what they paid. Uber took 58% and that is NOT INCLUDING their booking fees. We signed up and agreed to a percentage of the fares. They show us a different amount on our app that doesn't show the real fare. Its always more than we see!

I REPORTED THEIR UPFRONT PRICING SCAM TO THE FTC.

If everyone who read this did the same right now, if you all took 5 minutes to report them, they wouldn't get away with it anymore.

I didn't do this for me, guys and girls. I did this for all of us! Probably at the expense only never being able to drive for them again. Which is totally worth not getting clearly ripped off.

Everyone who quit and everyone that sees what their doing should do the same and make an official fraud report to the ftc!
It don't take long to figure out that uber is nothing but a scam- I quit too

phillipzx3

Uber's probably been reported to every possible government organization and yet no one has the balllls to take them on .
They have the balls, but Uber has paid them off. Our mayor and the commissioner in charge of transportation received close to $200,000 to change the rules in Portland. Then they hired an Uber lobbyists for their political advisor.

Both got their asses handed to them via the last election.

crazy916

Where do they say that?
I believe that's a PR message from years ago. And Uber PR statements have a solid history of anti-veracity. I believe Uber's lawyers frequently use the "c'mon, no one takes the public statements of my client seriously" defense.
Section 4.1

You: (i) appoint Company as your limited payment collection agent solely for the purpose of accepting the Fare, applicable Tolls and, depending on the region and/or if requested by you, applicable taxes and fees from the User on your behalf via the payment processing functionality facilitated by the Uber Services; and (ii) agree that payment made by User to Company (or to an Affiliate of Company acting as an agent of Company) shall be considered the same as payment made directly by User to you.

Edit: Added Technology Agreement for easy reference.

Attachments

Last edited:

Strange Fruit

Section 4.1

You: (i) appoint Company as your limited payment collection agent solely for the purpose of accepting the Fare, applicable Tolls and, depending on the region and/or if requested by you, applicable taxes and fees from the User on your behalf via the payment processing functionality facilitated by the Uber Services; and (ii) agree that payment made by User to Company (or to an Affiliate of Company acting as an agent of Company) shall be considered the same as payment made directly by User to you.
That contradicts the service fee addendum then. Not like 100% contradiction, but u know. How do they get them selves into this? I mean, when you go to up front pricing, change Section 4.1. I could have told them that, if I were paying attention, if they'd pay me for obvious legal advice. That took no education (I personally thought that was part of the older agreement, but I guess time flies and the new one is kind of old now). Are their lawyers in the resistance, contributing to their downfall from the inside?