I need help my uber fellow.

jayzhou1338

Last night, I was driving uber in the city.

At around 5:35PM, O'ferrel and Leavenworth, I double parked my car next to Deena's Market and opened the trunk, ran to get my uber delivery item, when I got back to my car, my backpack was gone, along with all computer and stuff.

I know I mad a dumb decision and should not left the trunk open unintended.

If you were around and saw the following suspect around the area, please email me in this site.

Or if you know any black market that I could possibly hit to or maybe buy my computer back. Please let me know too.

I filed the police report. But as usual, they do not give 2 cents about you even through I had some footage from the security camera outside the store.

Right now, I am just desperate for any kinds of help or advice.

Euius

Jeez. SFPD do not care about any crime that doesn't involve personal violence. Because the state reduced all property crime to misdemeanors, the people doing the crime no longer care, and they can't even prosecute them fast enough. Most get booted and charges dropped because of "right to a quick trial"

If you identify the person you can sue them in small claims court, but most of them have no assets. File a claim against your insurance - or don't, if the value isn't high enough after your deduction.

Be safe, last night while waiting in Castro right before 2am (offline) I had somebody try to open my hatchback. There is no way that was accidental in any way. It could only have been to steal or attack me, and my hatchback area is totally empty. Of course, I always lock my doors when I park.

Also, as a hybrid, I don't turn the engine off. I was out of there very fast.

jayzhou1338

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jeez. SFPD do not care about any crime that doesn't involve personal violence. Because the state reduced all property crime to misdemeanors, the people doing the crime no longer care, and they can't even prosecute them fast enough. Most get booted and charges dropped because of "right to a quick trial"

If you identify the person you can sue them in small claims court, but most of them have no assets. File a claim against your insurance - or don't, if the value isn't high enough after your deduction.

Be safe, last night while waiting in Castro right before 2am (offline) I had somebody try to open my hatchback. There is no way that was accidental in any way. It could only have been to steal or attack me, and my hatchback area is totally empty. Of course, I always lock my doors when I park.

I was on a Uber Delivery trip to pick up the order during the incident. I emailed the uber support team to check whether I could claim their insurance, but I still have not got any feedback yet.

Police really does not give 2 cents about my case, therefore, I have been tweeting the whole morning to every possible group, hoping get some result like this guy does:
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/news/2011-06-02-stolen-laptop-tracking-software_n.htm

I know the chance is slim, but all I could do know is keep trying and praying.

One of the guy from KTVU responded my tweet and I just chat with him a bit. Not sure what is going to happen, but I hope the guy could just take all the money in backpack and report everything else to me if KTVU is going to report the news. Just hoping.

observer

Prop 47 made anything stolen under $950 dollars only a ticketable offense. No arrest.

elelegido

File a claim against your insurance
No policy would pay a claim on this - the driver opened up his trunk wide and left all of the items in it on full display for anyone to just wander up and help themselves to anything they liked the look of, which is exactly what they did.

Doing this in a residential area if there's nobody around... maybe ok. But in the Tenderloin??? Wow...

NASCAR1991

No policy would pay a claim on this - the driver opened up his trunk wide and left all of the items in it on full display for anyone to just wander up and help themselves to anything they liked the look of, which is exactly what they did.

Doing this in a residential area if there's nobody around... maybe ok. But in the Tenderloin??? Wow..
Lmao...thats what i thought.
Its like almost insurance scam..you want the to steal it

NASCAR1991

Home insurance will pay on this... I was paid when a briefcase was taken from my parked car.
Not the same. One thing stolen from locked car. And thing you left it wide open. Looking like a bait.
That fool who took it obviously never watched cops...since i would think its a set up

jayzhou1338

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Doing this in a residential area if there's nobody around... maybe ok. But in the Tenderloin??? Wow...

I am not from the city and I do not know that is a rough neighborhood until I google it just now.

I guess this is a hard lesson learned. Never leave anything valuable in the car.

Probably from now on, when I drive uber, I am just going to bring driver license and 1 credit card.

At that time, I was double park to pick up a delivery, in order to avoid ticket, I put the blinker on and open the trunk just like some of those UPS people does.

Anyway, stupid mistake.

Moo Moo

I am not from the city and I do not know that is a rough neighborhood until I google it just now.

I guess this is a hard lesson learned. Never leave anything valuable in the car.

Probably from now on, when I drive uber, I am just going to bring driver license and 1 credit card.

At that time, I was double park to pick up a delivery, in order to avoid ticket, I put the blinker on and open the trunk just like some of those UPS people does.

Anyway, stupid mistake.
Sorry to hear about your loss, but I can guarantee you that you will not get your backpack and computer back. Your backpack was probably stolen by some drug addict who need some fast cash to feed his meth habit. Activating your double blinkers (hazard lights) while double parked does not prevent you from receiving a ticket for double parking or illegal parking (bus zone, no stopping anytime red zone, or fire hydrant) in any city where the local traffic/parking enforcement or police do not ignore illegal parking and issue parking violation tickets. Also, UPS drivers do not leave their sliding door open while their trucks are parked to do deliveries. Doing deliveries for Uber, Postmates, Caviar, or Doordash is not worth the low payout compared to Uber/Lyft because you have to look for parking, park your car and maybe pay for parking, pick up the food/merchandise, drive to customer address, look for parking and possibly pay for parking. In the 30 minutes that you may have spent on the delivery pickup and dropoff, I would have made $20-$50 for an UberX/UberXL to/from SFO/OAK airport. If you get two or more parking tickets in a day, whatever money you had made doing deliveries would have been wiped out by the parking tickets.