I need advice on a hit and run

wtfUBER717

I was involved in a hit and run last summer while a passenger in an uber.

That accident was violent and the person who hit us took off after, pretty much leaving us for dead. I managed to crawl out of the wreckage but collapsed immediately afterwards due to my injuries.

EMS transported both my driver (anonymous) and I to hospital where I spent a month learning to walk again.

Once I was out of the hospital, I was directed to follow-up with SAAQ to make a claim which they have supported me through physio and psychotherapies. Pretty much right up until the province's self-quarantine order.

I've also contacted intact insurance, (uber's insurance) but they pretty much stone-walled me. So I feel as a passenger, Uber kind of cleaned their hands and just let me go.

I lost a year of work and my injuries were career ending. At the time of the accident I wasn't working so I wasn't granted any remunerations for my injuries or lost work..

I really dont know Quebec law other than "no fault claus," am I really shit out of luck? The case doesn't go to trial till August, and I haven't contacted any legal council as I dont have any money, let alone to just eat because of the pandemic.

Can anybody let me know what my rights are, and is uber really just going to abandon me like this considering I was logged into their service..?

Do they really not take care of their passengers/clients considering my life was changed forever? I feel like the uber driver may be getting taken care of because they have insurances.. I dont have any insurances though..

Writing here is really my last resort.. I been sitting on this for couple months, hesitant to write here as I know some people can be insensitive to others suffering.. I truly hope this isn't the case, and that the community here is adept and knowledgeable in cases like mine.. I realize most here are drivers, (I used to be one too) so I accept a bit of bias/flack..

Thank you all in advance.. You're kind of all my last resort..

Last edited:

tohunt4me

As mentioned above, I have no money for an attorney..
A personal injury Attorney will take your case for a percentage of future generated revenues.
Post automatically merged:

That accident was violent and the person who hit us took off after, pretty much leaving us for dead. I managed to crawl out of the wreckage but collapsed immediately afterwards due to my injuries.

EMS transported both my driver (anonymous) and I to hospital where I spent a month learning to walk again.

Once I was out of the hospital, I was directed to follow-up with SAAQ to make a claim which they have supported me through physio and psychotherapies. Pretty much right up until the province's self-quarantine order.

I've also contacted intact insurance, (uber's insurance) but they pretty much stone-walled me. So I feel as a passenger, Uber kind of cleaned their hands and just let me go.

I lost a year of work and my injuries were career ending. At the time of the accident I wasn't working so I wasn't granted any remunerations for my injuries or lost work..

I really dont know Quebec law other than "no fault claus," am I really shit out of luck? The case doesn't go to trial till August, and I haven't contacted any legal council as I dont have any money, let alone to just eat because of the pandemic.

Can anybody let me know what my rights are, and is uber really just going to abandon me like this considering I was logged into their service..?

Do they really not take care of their passengers/clients considering my life was changed forever? I feel lile the driver may be getting taken care of because they have insurances.. I dont have any insurances.

Uber abandons all who can not be squeezed for Profit.

doyousensehumor

As mentioned above, I have no money for an attorney..
Doesnt matter. Unless Canada is really much different than the states, you should be able to find one willing to take your case, no cost unless you win a settlement.

Have you really called around to injury lawyers? They love injury cases here, enough to work with you and give you actual legal advice at the very, very minimum. Which will be lightyears ahead of what an internet forum of speculation will give you.

ariel5466

Is this a threat ? Lol..
The best way to use advice in this forum is to take a lot of things with a grain of salt. If a lot of people are saying the same thing and it makes logical sense (like going to an injury lawyer), it may be worth listening to. But you'll also get a lot of BS and advice that's so obviously awful it's hilarious.

OrlUberOffDriver

Get an attorney!
This is from a Canadian attorney website.
“Our legal team consists of over 50 professionals, including a Motor Vehicle Accident Support Team. We charge fees only if we are successful in securing a settlement or court award in your case. Our team is skilled at assessing the facts of a case and will be able to determine what are likely to be the best claims to file in your situation. While you focus on your physical recovery and deal with the expenses and lost wages resulting from an accident, our lawyers will move quickly to secure evidence and pursue proper compensation on your behalf.”

Another Uber Driver

There have been many changes to the law on this in Canada and Québec since I lived there. I lived in Montréal.

Here is one lawyer in Montréal:

The website specifically states that if they do not get anything for you, you pay zero.

Y-y-a-eu ben-ben de changes vers la loi depuis j'habite à Montréal.

Voicitte une avocate à Montréal:

Si eux-autres.obteniont rien, tu payes rien, selon la site.

Blatherskite

I would be very interested to know how the OP has no conception of how personal injury litigation works. In the States this issue is rammed down our throats more urgently and euphorically than the need to win the Power Ball plus a lifetime supply of Lucky Charms cereal. My incredulity borders on suspicion of being punked.

MHR

I saw an ad the other day for attorneys that specialize in rideshare accidents.

They are out there and as previously stated they take payment for their services from whatever court winnings you receive.

Doesn't help that OP just joined immediately before starting the thread. That's always suspicious.
I browsed this forum as a guest before I joined. I ended up joining because I couldn't find an answer to a specific question I had and I needed to be a member to be able to post said question.

Kurt Halfyard

Author

Do they really not take care of their passengers/clients considering my life was changed forever? I feel like the uber driver may be getting taken care of because they have insurances.. I dont have any insurances though..

Writing here is really my last resort.. I been sitting on this for couple months, hesitant to write here as I know some people can be insensitive to others suffering.. I truly hope this isn't the case, and that the community here is adept and knowledgeable in cases like mine.. I realize most here are drivers, (I used to be one too) so I accept a bit of bias/flack..

Wow. That sounds pretty bad. I would do some google searching (Parlez-vous Français?) and find a legit Quebec lawyer to seek advice from and proceed from there. A loss of a Years income and a career ending injury would yield a sizeable damages settlement if you found a good lawyer willing to push this right through to its conclusion.

FYI, I reposted a link to this thread in the French-Canada subforum (Montreal) on this board. It's pretty quiet in terms of activity, but maybe someone with some experience in this matter will see it and follow the link back to this thread.

Last edited:

nightshaadow

[/QUO
Time to lawyer up. Make Uber pay!
Post automatically merged:

Time to lawyer up. Make Uber pay!