• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

I might be done

Uber_duber

I have only a few weeks left until I leave the country. I'm giving my car to my brother.
I have enjoyed Uber for what it was. I enjoyed driving around and meeting people. I enjoyed not knowing where I'd end up or whom the interesting people I'd drive around were. Everybody is somebody. Each person I'd drive has a life; a story. They have their own drama. They have their own pleasures. This job has taught me a lot about people. It's been therapy for me. I learned how to be social. There have been great times with some people. I remember taking people who could've been great friends. We can be friends. We can have a great time, but only as long as the time and distance would allow us. I would never see them again. I don't want to see them again. I want to remember them for what it was. I hope I have inspired them to be the best they can be as they have inspired me. I know some of them won't remember me, and I won't remember some of them, but I like to think I made some kind of change even if I don't know it. I wonder if I saved a life. There have been inebriated people in my car. If it wasn't me, it would've been another Uber driver. If it wasn't Uber, it could've been their own car. A ruined life. But I'm there. Go ahead and drink! Go have fun! I'll take you home. Wake up tomorrow and do it again. It doesn't bother me because you're safe. And everyone else is safe.

You can take all the crap that Uber throws at us, but know that we're doing a service. We're helping people. We're saving lives and changing the way people think.

I want to take this time to thank you guys for helping me improve myself. I'm glad you started the meetup. It's great to see the real people behind the U stickers that are all around me.

I will be at the meetup today. To say hello. To say goodbye. But I will still be involved on here. To hear your stories. To listen to you. I will be in other countries hopefully experiencing Uber as a passenger.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Bmore Driver

Well said brother. I became a driver at first to make some extra scratch for the holidays. After my first few rides, I fell in love with it. I as you, have made this my therapy. I was in the Fire Service for 12 years as my hobby. In that time, you lose yourself in the grief and despair that go along with triumphs and small victories for a job well done. When that passenger gets in my car, Most are quiet..enjoying their silence on the way to work, school, etc.. Then every once in a while, you will hit it off with that special passenger and depending on the duration of the ride, we find out little pieces of what life is like outside the car for the both of us. I don't do this for a full time job, as I have one of those.. I'm not knocking those who do, you guys rock out there. As much as sometimes sucks to be on the road with absolutely nothing going on, we still login and shift into drive. . Good luck on your future endeavors. Be Safe!

Uber Erin

Wow...I thought I was only one who realized how therapeutic it is to listen to music, meet PAX, chat a little about their lives, and ensure they arrive to their final destination safely. I've only been doing this less than 2 weeks and already meet people from all over the world and all walks of life. I've had the most interesting conversations too -- 1940s jazz icons, start-up ideas, history lessons on feminism, addiction, underserved children, DC rap culture, religion vs spirituality, PTSD and military veterans, and even gave some advice to a high schooler freaking out about her college choice. When PAX ask me how I like driving so far, I always tell them it's like a real-life video game where I don't know where I'm going to end up or who I'm going to meet in the process of completing my "missions."

agtg

Therapy? Saving lives? Wonderful, how about another need met: The ability to pay your bills!

Bmore Driver

Therapy? Saving lives? Wonderful, how about another need met: The ability to pay your bills!
As I said.. I have a GREAT full time job. Uber is definite a side gig.. I really dont call it a PT job.. It does help with bills sometimes, but my full time job along with my wife's full time job, our bills are paid without Uber. if I want to treat her to something nice, A 6 hour run does the trick.

Last edited:

agtg

As I said.. I have a GREAT full time job. Uber is definite side gig.. I really dont call it a PT job.. It does help with bills some time, but my full time job along with my wife's full time job, our bills are paid without Uber. if I want to treat her to something nice, A 6 hour run does the trick.
It doesn't matter what you call it. It's a job and jobs should produce a living wage, unless you're in a lawless third world country.

DCUberXGrrrl

I have only a few weeks left until I leave the country. I'm giving my car to my brother.
I have enjoyed Uber for what it was. I enjoyed driving around and meeting people. I enjoyed not knowing where I'd end up or whom the interesting people I'd drive around were. Everybody is somebody. Each person I'd drive has a life; a story. They have their own drama. They have their own pleasures. This job has taught me a lot about people. It's been therapy for me. I learned how to be social. There have been great times with some people. I remember taking people who could've been great friends. We can be friends. We can have a great time, but only as long as the time and distance would allow us. I would never see them again. I don't want to see them again. I want to remember them for what it was. I hope I have inspired them to be the best they can be as they have inspired me. I know some of them won't remember me, and I won't remember some of them, but I like to think I made some kind of change even if I don't know it. I wonder if I saved a life. There have been inebriated people in my car. If it wasn't me, it would've been another Uber driver. If it wasn't Uber, it could've been their own car. A ruined life. But I'm there. Go ahead and drink! Go have fun! I'll take you home. Wake up tomorrow and do it again. It doesn't bother me because you're safe. And everyone else is safe.

You can take all the crap that Uber throws at us, but know that we're doing a service. We're helping people. We're saving lives and changing the way people think.

I want to take this time to thank you guys for helping me improve myself. I'm glad you started the meetup. It's great to see the real people behind the U stickers that are all around me.

I will be at the meetup today. To say hello. To say goodbye. But I will still be involved on here. To hear your stories. To listen to you. I will be in other countries hopefully experiencing Uber as a passenger.

You are SO lucky to be able to leave!!!! Where are you going? I am jealous.

Bmore Driver

I'm not going to call it a job. I sign in when I want, where I want.. I go 1-2 months without uber. It is not a necessity for me. For others, PERHAPS. My lively hood does not surround Uber. I have an exceptional acceptance rate. That does not make me a "bad employee" I choose what pings I want and I go about my way. Unlike other people who make their living from it. Maybe you should encourage yourself to look for a better "career choice"

Uber_duber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you're living beyond your means, you have a problem. You knew what the terms were when you signed up as I did. If I signed up knowing I'm getting paid one dollar per hour, I'm not going to complain about it. What I am going to complain about is the lies, the manipulation, the deceit. They promise one thing and don't give it to us or take it away from us. I know the bullshit we have to put up with but I'm not talking about that. There are many posts and threads for that and I appreciate what this gig has been able to offer me both good and bad. I'm glad to be moving on. I don't know what's going to happen but adventure awaits!

agtg

I'm not going to call it a job. I sign in when I want, where I want.. I go 1-2 months without uber. It is not a necessity for me. For others, PERHAPS. My lively hood does not surround Uber. I have an exceptional acceptance rate. That does not make me a "bad employee" I choose what pings I want and I go about my way. Unlike other people who make their living from it. Maybe you should encourage yourself to look for a better "career choice"
It always comes down to that for supporters of Uber. It's never about decency, compassion, or doing what's right. It's just about getting what you want regardless of the impact upon others. Why do you hate the working class? What makes you think allowing a scheme like Uber is going to benefit you and your children in the long term? No, it will come back to you. Then you will realize your attitude was bad for everyone, including you.

Bmore Driver

Negative. I have nothing against the working class. Ive been busting my ass for 20 years. Theres nothing wrong being in the trenches. Id rather be there earning my keep than being handed a silver spoon. My compassion is people. not the almighty dollar bill. Uber benefits me for 3 reasons. it gets me a change of scenery after 8 hours of being surrounded by a fortress. Secondly, If my wife wants to go away for a weekend, I do a few hours on the road and my 4 star hotel is paid for.. Uber is for my pleasure. Nothing else. and Thirdly, I meet interesting characters as yourself. :cool:

Bmore Driver

It's not that I'm lucky. I've made decisions to keep my life simple. I don't have a house, I don't have a family to take care of and i dont have debt. I make a little money and am rather frugal so i can easily pick up and travel somewhere.
My man.. Enjoy the good life

Desertrose

What a great post! Thank you for sharing. It was great talking and seeing you today. Especially about the 'wherever my ride takes me' approach that I kind of lost track of. That is always the best way and as was said tonight if we make our goal a monetary one (although of course this is the main reason we do it to begin with) we will most likely be disappointed. Tomorrow I want to get out of boost zone and enjoy rides without chasing dollars. It's healthier mentally and whenever I have those days I always end up doing good money wise anyway. I've never been a surge chaser because I never have luck with those anyway

Desertrose

This 'job' which doesn't feel like one most of the time has always been very therapeutic for me as well. I thought I was the only one. Great to hear

Uber_duber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What a great post! Thank you for sharing. It was great talking and seeing you today. Especially about the 'wherever my ride takes me' approach that I kind of lost track of. That is always the best way and as was said tonight if we make our goal a monetary one (although of course this is the main reason we do it to begin with) we will most likely be disappointed. Tomorrow I want to get out of boost zone and enjoy rides without chasing dollars. It's healthier mentally and whenever I have those days I always end up doing good money wise anyway. I've never been a surge chaser because I never have luck with those anyway
Thank you!
I'm really glad to come out and meet you guys and make new friends. I will definitely stay in touch.

Bluecrab

It doesn't matter what you call it. It's a job and jobs should produce a living wage, unless you're in a lawless third world country.
On the Appliachian Trail you can walk from Maine to Georgia. People plan. They have goals. How many miles will I do today? How many miles tomorrow?

Ask someone on the trail those questions, they'll say ~ "It's your hike".

We all do Uber, we all have Goals. It's your own hike.

agtg

On the Appliachian Trail you can walk from Maine to Georgia. People plan. They have goals. How many miles will I do today? How many miles tomorrow?

Ask someone on the trail those questions, they'll say ~ "It's your hike".

We all do Uber, we all have Goals. It's your own hike.

Gee, a lot of you have a very whimsical perspective when it comes to Uber. Funny thing is, Uber isn't whimsical about trouncing drivers to make a buck. I wish Uber we as whimsical, maybe they would raise the rates to help with driver morale?

RedFox

Wish you the best of luck, now and in the future. Stay safe and keep that positive outlook....even though it can be extremely difficult at times.