Uber Drivers Forum banner

I"m new with a few questions

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Bsettle 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I just started being a driver today and had one ride going from Tacony Flea Market to a Septa Station in Philly. WOOT Made $8. I have a couple of questions regarding the rules of UBERX and Philadelphia as I see so many conflicting articles and websites that really are no help.

1. Is UberX allowed to pick up in the city? Or only to drop off from an existing trip?
2. Can you get in trouble for driving and picking up at the stadiums? for games and concerts?
3. Am i allowed to wait at the airport for a ping? I know the airport is a touchy subject, Is there a specific location if so? Or am I only allowed to drop off at the airport?
4. My first drive, the destination wasn't where they needed as it was inputted incorrectly, So i didn't end trip until the destination they needed. Is that okay? It looks like i got paid correctly for it because of the distance traveled, Not really sure how that would work.

I appreciate all the feedback. :)

Sincerly,

Tim - New UberX driver.

See less See more
#6 ·
Technically uberx is illegal in philly and the airport. Ppa does run stings but has seemed to back off. Airport stages at the cell lot. When picking up in philly or airport just be aware. If things don't look kosher, just keep driving. There are hundreds of uberx drivers working the city and airport. I personally don't. I haven't heard of any body getting busted in a long time..

#7 ·
Well...

1. So i can pick up in the city? I thought UberX is under fire?
2. Basically the same as question 1, because i hear about PPA stuff
3. This is the big one...The airport kinda confuses me because idk where you are supposed to potentially stay to wait for a ping? Without getting ticketed.
4. I took a risk on that one. I don't know how to use the app too well yet. Or how to change where i input things so i just kept drivin until my destination then completed it.

My main concern is I don't know about what is legal and not in philly with UberX...Mainly with the PPA and driving to the airport and such.
End the trip after the pax gets out of the car. The pay is not by the destination on the app, it's by where you actually go. Exception is pool. Read about that if you have it there.

Only problem is the pax could say you dropped them off where the app said to and keot going or took them on a roundabout trip if there were stops.

I'm not in your city so can't address the other questions. But do searches and read the forum rather than ask up front because usually everything has been answered a dozen times already. Don't be lazy by expecting folks to type it all out fresh fir you.

#8 ·
Hey Everyone,

I just started being a driver today and had one ride going from Tacony Flea Market to a Septa Station in Philly. WOOT Made $8. I have a couple of questions regarding the rules of UBERX and Philadelphia as I see so many conflicting articles and websites that really are no help.

1. Is UberX allowed to pick up in the city? Or only to drop off from an existing trip?
2. Can you get in trouble for driving and picking up at the stadiums? for games and concerts?
3. Am i allowed to wait at the airport for a ping? I know the airport is a touchy subject, Is there a specific location if so? Or am I only allowed to drop off at the airport?
4. My first drive, the destination wasn't where they needed as it was inputted incorrectly, So i didn't end trip until the destination they needed. Is that okay? It looks like i got paid correctly for it because of the distance traveled, Not really sure how that would work.

Sincerly,

Tim - New UberX driver.
I was at a bar talking Uber and somebody asked the bartender what he thought of Uber, he said "I work for the PPA and have personally ticketed and impounded over 100 cars. Uber is illegal in Philadelphia " so there is one opinion.

#9 ·
He's afraid he's loosing his job soon , just like the traffic court the PPA might be abolished one day...

https://uberpeople.net/threads/why-is-the-ppa-so-afraid-of-being-audited.87155/

The PPA, a state created entity, is the only public agency in the city where Republicans rule. There, the Democrats play along for their slice.

Philly Parking Authority battles Council on audit

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/p...rking_Authority_battles_Council_on_audit.html

Council members David Oh and Helen Gym wanted a final vote on their resolution, calling for City Controller Alan Butkovitz to audit the Philadelphia Parking Authority for the first time since 2009.

Oh, a Republican, and Gym, a Democrat, want to know what happened with PPA money that had been expected to fund the Philadelphia School District.

Council members ask PPA: How did school money get booted?

http://articles.philly.com/2016-05-...rking-authority-vince-fenerty-parking-revenue

Council members used Friday's hearing to take a broad look at the PPA's financial operations, questioning how the agency spends its approximately $240 million annual budget and whether operating costs are cutting into revenue for the city and schools.

#10 ·
Hey Everyone,

Sincerly,

Tim - New UberX driver.
Get yourself a system/strategy on how to Uber, you wanna drive daytime or nighttime?? try to stay away from big events or just play like the gamblers (sometime you loose,sometimes you win..) know your shortcuts , ask the rider first if he knows shortcuts , if not use your instinct and be street smart...
If you do it right you can make bank !!

#11 ·
Uber is illegal within city limits.....until the ride sharing bill is passed. I normally dont drive in the city unless i drop off there but just be alert.....the city is flooded with Uber cars. Use the pax app to see whats in your area. As far as stings from the corrupt PPA......just be alert but they dont have the manpower to sting everyday. It will take you some time to get your strategy together but give it some time.

#12 ·
when will this finally end !!!

Joseph J. DeFelice, PhillyGOP's Executive Director served as PPA's General Counsel.

Vince Fenerty, PhillyGOP's Secretary runs PPA (he's PPA Executive Director)

Walter Vogler, PhillyGOP's Treasurer is a PPA Deputy Director

Michael P. Meehan, PhillyGOP's General Counsel? The Inquirer has described him as having the "PPA strongly in his grip" and adds:

The Parking Authority has been paying hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to Meehan's law firms. His old firm, Wolf Block Schorr & Solis-Cohen, received $1.3 million from the Parking Authority from 2003 until the firm closed last year. So far, about $145,000 in Parking Authority legal work has followed Meehan to his new firm, Eckert Seamans Cherin & Mellott, according to authority records.

#13 ·
Uber is illegal within city limits.....until the ride sharing bill is passed. I normally dont drive in the city unless i drop off there but just be alert.....the city is flooded with Uber cars. Use the pax app to see whats in your area. As far as stings from the corrupt PPA......just be alert but they dont have the manpower to sting everyday. It will take you some time to get your strategy together but give it some time.
Thank you all for the responses. I live in SJ so I typically drive around here to find people. I know dropping off in philly isn't illegal if you pick up in NJ so it's kinda a silly thing there. I was happy to make 20 bucks on 4 rides though...none being too far. I like this gig.

When are they passing the law though?

#14 · (Edited)
Well I'm sure you know by now that you can drive easy in the city now. Uber is now 'legal' we have the PPA's blessing to drive in the city. You won't get in trouble for waiting at stadiums, uber sometimes have parking lots set up to allow uber drivers to wait for pick ups. Same with airport, wait in the cell phone lot and you can pick up there without problems. There is a que that you will be entered into on the uber app, it will let you know if it's worth waiting there.

I live in NE philly and always go over the Tacony bridge into Pennsauken, NJ to drive. I make the most by riding up and down RT-130. There is no uber pool in NJ and the rides are longer...if a pax brings me back into Philly l, after drop off, if I don't get an immediate ping, I go right back over the bridge and continue driving in NJ. The city is over saturated with drivers but the small townships in south and central NJ never really have drivers on the road so you will do good over there. Happy driving!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.