1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

I had a really bad Uber ride. Can I give the driver one star or will it wreck his ratings?

Discussion in 'News' started by HazardousDescent, May 17, 2017.

Tags:
?
  1. Shouldn't matter

26 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. Lower

32 vote(s)
    51.6%
  3. Higher

4 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. HazardousDescent

HazardousDescent Member

2. Elephant

Elephant Member

As long as driver drop you safely they always deserve higher ratings.

3. HazardousDescent

HazardousDescent Member

Driver talking on the phone shouldn't be a problem, but some riders feel entitled (like only they may use the phone). Based on the article linked.
    I added Higher to unbiasedly present the poll. In actuality it obviously doesn't go higher than 5 stars ;) (what one would expect from a issue free ride)

4. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    I remember one day I ordered from the dollar menu at McDonalds and the cheese wasn't evenly applied on my $1.49 Double Chubby w/Cheese. I not only complained to the manager on duty but I wrote corporate a very strong worded letter. How dare a multi billion dollar corporation not get my $1.49 burger perfect. When I'm spending very good money then I expect my $1.49 burger to be nothing but the best. When I'm done eating my $1.49 burger from McDonalds I want to feel like I just ate a $60 filet from Morton's. Uber, I'm Lovin It.

5. WeirdBob

WeirdBob Well-Known Member

I know a guy who will get you those $60 steaks for $20 each. Home delivered, vacuum sealed and fresh frozen. If you buy a case and don't look like a narc, he'll even smoke a bowl of Pineapple Express or Sour Diesel with you. Just look for the 1997 White Ford Ranger with the freezer in the back.

[​IMG]

6. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Ya know... after reading that.

Broken seat-belts are not acceptable...

However this is uber we are talking about so you get what you pay for.

Personally it's this sort of Shoddy service that not even a cab company would tolerate, this week I got pulled off the road because a headlight was burned out. A convention week, 5:00 AM and i went home without being able to make a dime and the company lost all the money i would have paid them that day.

Safety is safety, if we have to get $(D%* on and forced off the service until we deal with safety issues that's what needs to be done. If i was running the show i'd suspend him until he got the seat belt replaced, and taken the car into the inspection site to have one of the staff inspect it.

Personally i think we need quarterly inspections from the company.

The rates are however too low for a 1 man 1 car operation to effectively work. In the past I ran an Indy taxi, and i lost time to having my car go in to get various things fixed. I called it unscheduled vacations. It's inevitable to have cars go out of service. A company with a fleet can have spare cars, or people going on vacation or whatever, to cover the lost time. You don't have that luxury with uber. And with barely over cost you can't loose days or a week getting your car fixed.

7. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    I'm more partial to Purple Kush. I couldn't even begin to tell you how long ago it's been since I've smoked weed. I'm sure it was back in the late 70's when I was in high school. We have dispensaries here in AZ since the use of medical marijuana became legal and about a year ago I walked into one. Holy crap, the smell alone will get you stoned. The weed we had 40 years ago is nothing compared to what you guys have today. No wonder why half this country is walking around lost. As Spicoli said in the movie Fast Times at Ridgemont High "That's my skull, I'm so wasted".

8. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    This was pretty impressive close to the article

9. Wedgey

Wedgey Well-Known Member

10. Maven

Maven Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    MINIMIZE YOUR RISK: Taking a hands-fee phone call is technically legal in most states. Further, most of the time it will probably not affect the safe arrival at the destination. However, like texting-while-driving, it is a distraction that marginally increases your risk of having an accident while driving. Of course, so is fiddling with your GPS while driving. Drivers are forced to accept these risks on a daily basis. Smart drivers will try to minimize risk to both themselves and the PAX. It is simply smart business.

Ask yourself, do you really want the PAX to overhear an argument with your wife/girlfriend/daughter or bill collector? What is so important that it cannot wait 5-10 minutes to get the PAX out of your car? Then you can pull over to a safe spot and call back or listen to any message. You do not even need to go offline.

MadTownUberD and Zoey jasmine like this.
  11. Trebor

Trebor Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Why didnt you get a spare taxi when your headlight went out? Or why not just replace the headlight yourself? I have stopped at wallymart in the middle of the night, replaced my headlight and keep driving.

MadTownUberD and Mikedamirault like this.
  12. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

Thats just rude.
    3 stars or less.

Real Hawaiian mountain grown purple blue haired sticky bud skunk weed was as potent in the 70's as anything is today.

13. GaryWinFlorida

GaryWinFlorida Well-Known Member

How about just common decency? In what job does anyone get to make personal calls while dealing with a customer? Unless it is a true emergency there is ZERO reason to take or make a personal telephone call when you have a rider in the car. Wait until they get out and then take fiver and make your call.

14. Trafficat

Trafficat Well-Known Member

It is annoying when the next passenger in queue calls when you still have a rider in your car. Probably results in a lower rating if you answer it.

I've also made calls when I pick someone up and find out they are going on a long trip to let people know I am missing my appointments to do a long uber ride. It isn't always just a 5-10 minute wait to make the call. On a long ride you might be on the ride for hours and if you don't make the call you are effectively no-showing people, even getting stuck with cancellation fees that exceed the profit on the Uber ride you are doing. The only way to avoid this is to turn off your app several hours before any scheduled event lest you suddenly get boned by a long trip that you accepted and you can't even see the destination before you accept it.

A one star rating for a quick 30 second phone call at the start of a ride, or answering your Uber phone to tell the next guy that yes you take shaggy wet dogs, or that yes I have your iphone you left in my car, would be in my opinion, an unjust rating for making a short call.

I can count the number of phone calls I've made or answered with a rider in my vehicle on one hand.

If ratings were not associated with account deactivation, then fine, any rating goes. But I think it is ridiculous to essentially vote to fire a driver for basically just making a call that is practically necessary to the functioning of your Uber business.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  15. emdeplam

emdeplam Well-Known Member

2*..only 1* if its not hands free

16. Talcire

Talcire Active Member

No point in commenting on this article unless you live and drive in the UK. Different country, different laws, different manners...
    also, Uber is a licensed taxi service in the UK, so our perspective (if you're in the USA) is something to consider.

17. Maven

Maven Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    This tread was started by someone in the USA. You are in San Diego, which last time I checked was also in the USA. Of course, laws are different in the UK. How did the UK enter this thread? UK-specific issues should be discussed in a UK-thread like those at https://uberpeople.net/forums/London/

cindym likes this.
  18. UsedToBeAPartner

UsedToBeAPartner Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Do not tip the driver and DO give him a 1 star. Some say you give your server a good tip even if they are a terrible server (not restaurant issues) and I totally disagree. If my server takes my order and I only see them again when they deliver the food and again when they hand me the bill, this is NOT good service and I will adjust my tip accordingly. Those that do not only promote lackluster service and allows these folks to remain on the job. A bad Uber driver should also be rated poorly as you should not promote lackluster service from an Uber driver just because they are underpaid, generally under educated and desperate folks who have fallen for the Uber promise of great riches. Bad service is simply bad service. My wife recently took a ride and it was terrible. I always insist that she tips here driver but when she described the ride I said "I hope you did not tip" which she did not and I said "I hope you gave him 1 star" which she also did. It's the right thing to do. The ratings are based upon the last 500 rides so a couple of 1 star ratings are not going to effect any driver. However, if they consistently give bad service the rating system will catch up with them and they can either choose to change their ways or be removed from the Uber platform.

Uberfunitis likes this.
  19. Trump Economics

Trump Economics Well-Known Member

DeplorableDonald likes this.
  20. Uberfunitis

Uberfunitis Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I don't want someone driving me doing anything but driving me and paying attention to the road. Hands free is less distracting than screwing with a phone but still distracting and I want his or her attention completely on the road and nothing else.