I Got in an Accident Driving for Lyft and Entered Eternal Insurance Hell

Cold Fusion

THE PERSON: Melissa Schultz
AGE AT THE TIME: 45
PROFESSION: Lyft driver and self-employed marketing professional
THE BILL: $3,000
THE RUB: Melissa was hit by another car at a busy intersection while driving for Lyft. For more than two years, she has been dealing with bills, collection agencies, and multiple insurance companies.

When I got back home to Long Beach, I contacted my insurance agent at State Farm right away. Of course, State Farm shut down [my claim]. Lyft said my insurance would cover me, but State Farm insisted that I needed additional [coverage] because I was transporting passengers for pay.

But when I reported the accident, Lyft shut down my account and said I couldn't drive my car. The company said my car wasn't drivable, full stop. Once Lyft figured out that I had had an accident, it was as if they viewed me completely different. I just got the feeling that Lyft wanted to move away from it as fast as possible, even though it was just a fender bender”

IR12

THE PERSON: Melissa Schultz
AGE AT THE TIME: 45
PROFESSION: Lyft driver and self-employed marketing professional
THE BILL: $3,000
THE RUB: Melissa was hit by another car at a busy intersection while driving for Lyft. For more than two years, she has been dealing with bills, collection agencies, and multiple insurance companies.

When I got back home to Long Beach, I contacted my insurance agent at State Farm right away. Of course, State Farm shut down [my claim]. Lyft said my insurance would cover me, but State Farm insisted that I needed additional [coverage] because I was transporting passengers for pay.

But when I reported the accident, Lyft shut down my account and said I couldn't drive my car. The company said my car wasn't drivable, full stop. Once Lyft figured out that I had had an accident, it was as if they viewed me completely different. I just got the feeling that Lyft wanted to move away from it as fast as possible, even though it was just a fender bender”
Lyft is scum but insurance companies are despicable on steroids. Good luck.

UbaaDrivaa

Meh. Sounds like Melissa was at fault.

"All the other driver had to do was brake to avoid hitting me", lol. And just why would the driver have needed to brake to avoid a crash.....
You sounded like one dump truck. You wouldn’t try to “brake” to avoid hitting ... another car ? Or anything ?

UberAdrian

Do bad drivers think they are good? One of my buddies boasted about what a good driver he is. I went out with him and gave him 3 chances to stop making laugh. I am universally known in my peer group as an elite/expert driver with 0 incidents in 20 years and millions of km. This guys driving was such an abomination I literally revoked his man card on the spot, told him he drives like a crippled poodle that can’t see over the steering wheel and continued to lambaste him mercilessly for hours until he stopped back talking me and accepted my criticism. Driving is not a game, there are way too many idiots that shouldn’t have licenses on the road. If you suck at driving don’t spend more than $1000 on a car.

The Gift of Fish

You sounded like one dump truck. You wouldn’t try to “brake” to avoid hitting ... another car ? Or anything ?
Dump truck, huh? A novel insult, if nothing else.

Anyway, Melissa said the other car was next to her at a traffic light. Both cars were waiting to turn left. To simplify it for you, each car was in its own lane waiting to turn left. With both cars turning in left, each in its own lane, the other car would not need to brake to avoid hitting Melissa..... unless Melissa had strayed into the other car's lane. In fact, Melissa admits that the other driver accused her of veering into his lane.

Is it clear now? :rollseyes:

The Gift of Fish

Yeah, this is a pointless article. Melissa says she got reinstated promptly by Lyft. So nothing to complain about there. From what she says, it looks like the accident was her fault. She hasn't been sued by the other driver and it looks like she won't be.

She had no dashcam, did not stop at the accident, did not take photos or video of the accident scene. She did not have rideshare insurance so the damage to her car is going to be up to her to fix.

There's nothing to see here, just another dumb rideshare noob who doesn't know what she is doing. Nobody's fault but hers.

UberBastid

Every state is different, but ....
I got hit by someone on the freeway, a side-swipe that did about $4k damage. It was other drivers fault, and was actually witnessed by an off duty federal officer. He wrote a report and gave me a copy. I argued with Geico for about six months and said 'enough'.
I filed in small claims court for the max in Cali, claiming the actual damages plus pain and suffering and compensatory damages.
Short story? I won. I won $6500.
You have to sue the driver of the other car, not the insurance company. But the insurance company paid off very quickly after I got the judgement.

If it's a claim under $10k I don't play around much. I show them what the judge is gonna see ... I wait a reasonable amount of time, I provide additional documentation, I ask for my money, then I give 30 days to pay, then I sue.
Let the judge decide.

After I filed for the $10k, the adjuster called with an offer of $3500. "Ya know, six months ago I'd of taken that ... but now ... I want the $10k." He laughed and said I won't get that much. "I bet I get more than $3500 though. I guess we'll find out, eh?"

The Gift of Fish

Every state is different, but ....
I got hit by someone on the freeway, a side-swipe that did about $4k damage. It was other drivers fault, and was actually witnessed by an off duty federal officer. He wrote a report and gave me a copy. I argued with Geico for about six months and said 'enough'.
I filed in small claims court for the max in Cali, claiming the actual damages plus pain and suffering and compensatory damages.
Short story? I won. I won $6500.
You have to sue the driver of the other car, not the insurance company. But the insurance company paid off very quickly after I got the judgement.

If it's a claim under $10k I don't play around much. I show them what the judge is gonna see ... I wait a reasonable amount of time, I provide additional documentation, I ask for my money, then I give 30 days to pay, then I sue.
Let the judge decide.

After I filed for the $10k, the adjuster called with an offer of $3500. "Ya know, six months ago I'd of taken that ... but now ... I want the $10k." He laughed and said I won't get that much. "I bet I get more than $3500 though. I guess we'll find out, eh?"
I am in the same boat. Special damages in my case are $5k, giving a claim value of $10k - $15k. Progressive will only offer $3,750. I'll be issuing my final demand next week and give them 30 days to pay. If they don't then I sue their policyholder.

Sucks for him, because the court judgment would be against his name, not Progressive's, and it would F up his credit for about 7 years.

UberAdrian

I am in the same boat. Special damages in my case are $5k, giving a claim value of $10k - $15k. Progressive will only offer $3,750. I'll be issuing my final demand next week and give them 30 days to pay. If they don't then I sue their policyholder.

Sucks for him, because the court judgment would be against his name, not Progressive's, and it would F up his credit for about 7 years.
The way to leverage an insurance company is to be in league with a shop that will charge them out the ass for every little thing, every day they don’t pay. Basically hold the car until they pay and make their daily expenses to not pay as high as possible with storage fees, rental fees, airport improvement fee etc. Automatically decline every offer whilst making outlandishly excessive demands. In a week or two they will crumble and beg you to take the money.

Another Uber Driver

Finger pointing is common in the insurance business. As soon as you learn that there is other insurance, you point the finger immediately. Insurance companies love to collect premium. They do not like to do the job for which the insured is paying those premiums. Ask me how I know this.

I do wonder if the driver had a TNC endorsement.

UberAdrian

Didn't say they wouldn't "brake" to avoid hitting another car. We're talking about fault here. Sounds like a clear case of "failure to yield" as well as "a failure to communicate".
And a clear case of failure to train. I’ve taught dozens of people how to drive and I ways drill into them to take the inside lane precisely to avoid the countless potato heads that dont understand lane mechanics yet somehow have a license to operate a lethal machine. For some reason almost everybody prefers the outside lane. I’ll frequently enter a scenario like this with stack of 14 cars on the outside and just me on the inside. Why do they do it? Obviously bad training but then their own brain also leads them astray - why?

Also why do people veer in the opposite direction and into the next lane to make a turn? It’s so stupid! WHY? There’s already so much wiggle room...

observer

Finger pointing is common in the insurance business. As soon as you learn that there is other insurance, you point the finger immediately. Insurance companies love to collect premium. They do not like to do the job for which the insured is paying those premiums. Ask me how I know this.

I do wonder if the driver had a TNC endorsement.
State Farm denied her claim because she didn't have an endorsement.

LyftUberFuwabolewa

Well it also sounds like she KNEW the intersection was tricky and didn't maintain awareness of other vehicles around her and take appropriate actions.

When in a turn where multiple lanes turn together I watch the cars to my side and adjust accordingly.

You can drive according to the rules in such a way that if anybody else doesn't follow the rules even slightly you have an accident. You'll be in the right, and you can tell yourself you were in the right, but you ended up having an accident. At the end of the day was it worth it?

Just because a sign or traffic control device says that you "can " go doesn't mean you "should" go.

I have avoided a number of accidents by watching the body language of other vehicles around me. Usually a bad driver will have a number of tells that let you see they are either a sloppy driver or they are unaware or unsure of what to do. Reading those tells can be hugely useful.

Where there are multiple parallel lanes going the same direction whenever possible I try not to drive right along side somebody or in their blind spot.