I got hailed

bimmy5678

Last night in Hollywood, I was stopped at a light and somebody waved his arms at me. Him and his wife wanted a short ride home but their phone was dead. I told them they have to use the app. He said he lives less than 5 minutes away, so I gave them a ride home. He gave me $12 cash, which is much more than the $2.80 I would have gotten from Uber. I know this is not "allowed," but I'm sure it happens to a lot of drivers. Just wondering what y'all do in this situation.

LA Cabbie

You got super lucky it was not a sting. Otherwise your car would have been impounded and you would have been arrested. I'm not a lawyer. If this was a potential sting, this is what you should have said. "I'll take you where you want to go at no cost as a good samaritan. If you want to chip in for gas, that's up to you." Since you obviously don't have a taxi permit, once you negotiate payment, you get arrested.

Another Uber Driver

just be aware of stings run by L.A.P.D. that area is known for stings.
You got super lucky it was not a sting. Otherwise your car would have been impounded and you would have been arrested.
I was going to post ^^^^^^^^^^^^ "THESE"^^^^^^^^^^^, but I see that you got the idea. \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

Oooh, thanks. Had no idea.

Now you know. Stop destroying your livelihood & being a good Samaritan.
^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What you tell them is "I do apologise, Sir, but the law does not allow that and the penalty is quite severe. It is too bad that your telephone is discharged, but I can not risk it and there is no insurance coverage if I do this."

You may be carrying a policy that allows for you to carry passengers for compensation, but, the illegal act exclusion could kick in if you are involved in a collision, as it is illegal for you to accept street hails.

Further, if Uber finds out that you are accepting street hails, it will de-activate you no questions asked. How could it find out?

1. You are involved in a collision, at fault or not, the people note the Uber or Lyft trade dress and contact Uber or Lyft. Uber or Lyft ask questions, it comes out that you accepted a street hail, they deny coverage, they de-activate you.

2. The people act all nice and pay you, then complain to Uber that you demanded cash from them. If you think that this could not happen, read some of the stuff posted to these Boards. It is crazy what these people will do. At any rate, Uber or Lyft will learn that you accepted a street hail and the next thing that you know you will see in your INBOX:

Dear bimmy5678:

We have decided to end our partnership with you. This is not a decision that we made lightly. It was taken only after a careful and thorough review of your record. Any payments due you will be deposited by__/__/__. Of course, you are still welcome to use Uber as a rider. We wish you success in your future efforts.

Sincerely,

Team Uber

Do not accept street hails. The only Uber "Partners" that are allowed to accept street hails are the Uber Taxi "Partners" (such as myself). Uber Taxi is not available in your market (surprisingly, since it is available in San Francisco). You get into trouble with the law, with the insurance and with the TNCs. It is not worth it. Do not do it.

Slavic Riga

Now delete this post before Uber finds out, if they haven't already. Or I hope Another Uber Driver deletes it for you.
Delete the post NO.
Let the post be for all newcomers to read & understand the consequences of responding to a ' Street Hail' other than a Uber Taxi.
Giving bimmy/jimmy benefit of the doubt with 'Karl Popper's saying:
"True ignorance is not the absence of knowledge but refusal to obtain it".

MarcG

Last night in Hollywood, I was stopped at a light and somebody waved his arms at me. Him and his wife wanted a short ride home but their phone was dead. I told them they have to use the app. He said he lives less than 5 minutes away, so I gave them a ride home. He gave me $12 cash, which is much more than the $2.80 I would have gotten from Uber. I know this is not "allowed," but I'm sure it happens to a lot of drivers. Just wondering what y'all do in this situation.
Next time offer to let them charge their phone enough to start the uber app and request a ride.

Coachman

... this is what you should have said. "I'll take you where you want to go at no cost as a good samaritan. If you want to chip in for gas, that's up to you."
I doubt that will save you in a sting operation. That's like telling an undercover cop in a prostitution sting that you're not paying her for sex you're just giving her money for dinner later.

Last edited:

Slavic Riga

That's what I was thinking as well... Is there a law that penalizes such action? I've heard in some cities you are not allowed to give food to homeless out of charity either.
Yup. One of the city is Toronto. Only cash to be given to charities & Communities Kitchens.
Regulation approved & passed by City Council.
It is also to help the rich can get richer as all charities are headed by some person affiliated to a political party & 0.80 cents of every dollar goes towards administration & publicity.

Last edited:

Slavic Riga

I doubt they could find out who I am, unless they know Julian Assange
Read your original post & in particular the third sentence. Its Dead give away.
Please be informed for future reference, when you seeking for advise on this forum, there are some smart wise people.............. tread with caution.

bimmy5678

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Read your original post & in particular the third sentence. Its Dead give away.
Please be informed for future reference, when you seeking for advise on this forum, there are some smart wise people.............. tread with caution.
Gee, thanks for drawing attention to it!:eek: