I got a speeding ticket in Raleigh. Anyone else get any type ticket in Raleigh or Durham?

uberwoman

Last night, on glenwood ave. Raleigh, N.C. I got my first speeding ticket! Actually first ticket ever, ugh!!! I've travelled down that road hundreds of times and I guarantee I know I wasn't speeding! He stopped me with passengers in the car and so it was kinda embarrassing! Has anyone else got any type tickets (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel hill, RDU)? I don't really have the time to fight it because I have a full time job. Should I tell Uber? Thank you guys for your replies already

The_One

Last night, on glenwood ave. Raleigh, N.C. I got my first speeding ticket! Actually first ticket ever, ugh!!! I've travelled down that road hundreds of times and I guarantee I know I wasn't speeding! He stopped me with passengers in the car and so it was kinda embarrassing! Has anyone else got any type tickets (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel hill, RDU)? I don't really have the time to fight it because I have a full time job. Should I tell Uber? Thank you guys for your replies already
If you tell uber, they will suspend your account for a few days, lol.
Don't tell them anything, and if I was you I would fight it, your insurance premium will go up 20% for the next 4 years.

Disgusted Driver

How many miles over? It's a relatively easy thing to plea bargain a ticket. Show up down town at the court house on the day of your appearance and wait in line for the DA. Ask the DA what they can do for you and typically they will offer you 10 over if you had a 15 over ticket. You get one of those free every 3 years without points on your license.

I got one ticket in Apex in a speed trap, DON'T tell Uber!!

The_One

How many miles over? It's a relatively easy thing to plea bargain a ticket. Show up down town at the court house on the day of your appearance and wait in line for the DA. Ask the DA what they can do for you and typically they will offer you 10 over if you had a 15 over ticket. You get one of those free every 3 years without points on your license.

I got one ticket in Apex in a speed trap, DON'T tell Uber!!
Reduction of points on your license does not apply to your insurance premium increase.

PatriciaQ

Her insurance premium will still go up, regardless if she did 10 miles over the speed limit or 15 miles over the speed limit, the points on her license might be reduced, but to the insurance you where still speeding.
Ok, I catch your drift :smiles:

pengduck

You need to ask the DA for a PJC. This gives you no points on license or insurance. Also note the the DUI task force lives on Glenwood ave. They are there to write tickets and that's what they do.

Disgusted Driver

You need to ask the DA for a PJC. This gives you no points on license or insurance. Also note the the DUI task force lives on Glenwood ave. They are there to write tickets and that's what they do.
That's one strategy. I tend to save my PJC in case I get caught doing something really bad ;-) You only get one at the discretion of the judge every 3 years.

For a single 10 over it's 0 points and I haven't seen much of a jump in my premium, if I recall correctly it was like $10 a month more, not a trivial amount granted but not the end of the world.

MISC

I got my one and only speeding ticket in my life on Gleenwood Ave. Raleigh cop sitting at bottom on hill just before Crabtree Valley. Hit the top of the hill doing 45 and was off the gas completely and coasting down that hill in the early morning and they got me for 16 over. For those that don't know this is a long and steep hill and a favorite revenue generator for the city of Raleigh. Funny tho you never see them clicking on the uphill side. Pled guilty to 54 in a 45 in court and it was not a bad hit on my insurance.

Disgusted Driver

I got my one and only speeding ticket in my life on Gleenwood Ave. Raleigh cop sitting at bottom on hill just before Crabtree Valley. Hit the top of the hill doing 45 and was off the gas completely and coasting down that hill in the early morning and they got me for 16 over. For those that don't know this is a long and steep hill and a favorite revenue generator for the city of Raleigh. Funny tho you never see them clicking on the uphill side. Pled guilty to 54 in a 45 in court and it was not a bad hit on my insurance.
Yup, they hang out in the Outback Steakhouse corporate headquarters parking lot at the bottom of the hill.

On the other side of the beltline there's another great speed trap on Glenwood. As you are coming from downtown, you get to a hill after St. Mary's. It's a 35 and cops will hang out in the driveway of the Carolina Country Club to catch you over 45 as you go down the hill. They can get you in the other direction as well because it's a 45 that drops down to 35 just as you get there. A favorite spot to catch the drunks leaving town.

Libertyfare

Raleigh revenue generating cops live on Glenwood. Word of advice the no right on red sign for Peace Street onto Glenwood has cops stationed there to grab people because the sign is barely visible at night. I don't know if the street light is burnt out at the intersection or what but the sign isn't even reflective. Also the sign is just writing and not the no turn on red symbol. So people are pulled all the time for that one and I was one of those unfortunate people. I didn't have any passengers with me I was on the way to a pickup luckily, but I had cancel. I was obviously not drunk and have a clean record, you think I would get a warning, nope gotta generate that revenue. The whole reason I am driving is because I have a disabled child making it impossible to work a normal job. And this ticket is going to wipe out everything I have earned this past week. So I totally feel like I got mugged by a bandit.

Respect The Beard

This town is so cash hungry and that's unfortunate about your ticket.Last night just up Capital I counted 12 Cop Cars and thanks to the App Waze I avoided all of them and went a steady speed.Be careful out there to all and enjoy your Holiday safely and peacefully.

scotch20

RPD doesn't get a single dime from traffic tickets. Most of your ticket goes to court costs and that ends up with the county, the fine itself does go the city, but not RPD.

Source: Former RPD officer.

Libertyfare

You do realize that the city of Raleigh pays the PD who write the tickets don't you? My brother who suggested I do Uber because of my situation with a seriously ill child. He has been stopped and the PD in Garner let him off with a warning because he said he appreciated uber drivers getting drunks off the roads.

Respect The Beard

You do realize that the city of Raleigh pays the PD who write the tickets don't you? My brother who suggested I do Uber because of my situation with a seriously ill child. He has been stopped and the PD in Garner let him off with a warning because he said he appreciated uber drivers getting drunks off the roads.
Libertyfare I agree 100% and I have friends on the force in Raleigh and Garner and State Troopers who have told me that with Raleigh being the capital they have quotas to full at all cost.

scotch20

Your logic though implies that RPD is writing tickets to generate revenue. That was never the case for anyone in the department. From the chief down to a line officer you write tickets because the person you pulled over was breaking the law. Shoot even more than that, we looked for more than the initial stop.

No quota, yes, you have numbers that can be run on you, but there is no number of tickets you need each week, month, or quarter.

Last edited: