I got a Metro red light camera ticket in Downtown!

Jay Thompson

In downtown Los Angeles on 1st and Anderson there's several red light cameras with no intersection and there trees covering the lights. I never saw a red light and question if the red light camera malfunctioned. I heard in Los Angeles red light camera tickets don't go on your record will Lyft or Uber be notified that you got one? I also read you can't ignore Metro red light tickets so now I'm confused!

afrojoe824

If it's a Metro Red light ticket, DO NOT IGNORE. Those are legit and the city will go after you. They placed them there for the safety of bus drivers and train drivers. Metro red lights are pretty much where the Orange Line Bus Crosses, EXPO Train Line, Gold Line and Blue Line.

Anything else within LA County, Ignore. Just not those Metro ones.

Dave Styles

Where online does it say I get points counted against me if Ignore it or I get reported to the dmv? The cameras where pointing to the side of my car I didn't make a turn so not sure why it would have taken a photo of my car?

If it's a Metro Red light ticket, DO NOT IGNORE. Those are legit and the city will go after you. They placed them there for the safety of bus drivers and train drivers. Metro red lights are pretty much where the Orange Line Bus Crosses, EXPO Train Line, Gold Line and Blue Line.

Anything else within LA County, Ignore. Just not those Metro ones.

afrojoe824

Where online does it say I get points counted against me if Ignore it or I get reported to the dmv? The cameras where pointing to the side of my car I didn't make a turn so not sure why it would have taken a photo of my car?
You won't get points if you ignore it. Although you would get points of you ignore the legit Metro Camera lights as I mentioned above. Sometimes those camera's flash even if you're not turning. Just wait for a ticket in the mail. I've had instances where I was stopped and it still flashed. Not a ticket in the mail

Again, IGNORE if you were not in a metro camera intersection. If Metro, deal with it.

don't believe OC Lady Uber Driver . she's in a different county. It's legal in Orange County.

If you fight it in court, a ticket you could've ignored will now be hooked to you and hence the typical ticket process. By going to Court, you're acknowledging the ticket. So just ignore it - AGAIN, UNLESS IT'S A METRO INTERSECTION RED LIGHT CAMERA. those are for the safety of Drivers and Metro Bus/Train conductors

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Red-Light-Citations-Leave-Drivers-Confused-339034242.html

Dave Styles

No were on that video or page does it say anything about Metro redlight tickets. I'm calling Metro now to find out

You won't get points if you ignore it. Although you would get points of you ignore the legit Metro Camera lights as I mentioned above. Sometimes those camera's flash even if you're not turning. Just wait for a ticket in the mail. I've had instances where I was stopped and it still flashed. Not a ticket in the mail

Again, IGNORE if you were not in a metro camera intersection. If Metro, deal with it.

don't believe OC Lady Uber Driver . she's in a different county. It's legal in Orange County.

If you fight it in court, a ticket you could've ignored will now be hooked to you and hence the typical ticket process. By going to Court, you're acknowledging the ticket. So just ignore it - AGAIN, UNLESS IT'S A METRO INTERSECTION RED LIGHT CAMERA. those are for the safety of Drivers and Metro Bus/Train conductors

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Red-Light-Citations-Leave-Drivers-Confused-339034242.html

mghtyred

LOL

"Hello, Metro? I hear I can ignore some red light camera tickets. Can I ignore yours?" "NO!"

Seriously though. If the light, camera, or signage were blocked by trees, go out and photograph all of that nNOW. See if there is an option on the citation for "TRIAL BY WRITTEN DECLARATION". If so, gather your evidence and submit it. It will take months, but you will likely win.

mghtyred

Also, remember for ANY red light camera tickets:

This whole ignore in LA county will not work if you're leasing a car through Uber Xchange. They will get a copy of the ticket, PAY it, and charge you for the cost out of your earnings.

afrojoe824

Dude, Just trust when we say don't ignore the Metro tickets!

We already telling you to ignore others except the metro....

If you have all these questions and won't take any suggestions, then don't post here and ask questions if you don't want to take the suggestions..

Nothing more annoying than "Well I'll call metro and ask"...

You should've done that yourself then instead of posting here. Wasting my unlimited text and data responding when you would ask the authorities anyways. As if they'll say yes to ignoring it lol

Dave Styles

I own the vehicle. I'm going to ask them is it a point violation and if it get's reported to the DMV. I'm not stupid enough to ask about not paying it. BTW they make it damn near impossible to contact these idiots no one knows the number at metro and they gave me a number I have been on hold for over an hour with no hold music or anything. This system is designed to scam, it's so @@@@ed up! I'm so broke driving for Uber I can't even afford to do trial by declaration. You have to pay the fine in full before doing the trial by declaration. The fine is around $500 which is money I don't have!

Also, remember for ANY red light camera tickets:

This whole ignore in LA county will not work if you're leasing a car through Uber Xchange. They will get a copy of the ticket, PAY it, and charge you for the cost out of your earnings.

Dave Styles

I just called them they said the cameras are triggered by left turns only which explains why the cameras are pointed sideways. My car was going straight I never made a left turn! If I made a left turn I would be seriously injured or dead because when the camera went off the train was on the tracks! Like I mentioned in my first post it likely malfunctioned. She did confirm that it's a point violation! I guess if I was stupid enough to make a left turn on the tracks when it's red I would deserve that ticket but I 100% was going straight the whole time, so it was probably for someone else or the camera malfunctioned!

mghtyred

I just called them they said the cameras are triggered by left turns only which explains why the cameras are pointed sideways. My car was going straight I never made a left turn! If I made a left turn I would be seriously injured or dead because when the camera went off the train was on the tracks! Like I mentioned in my first post it likely malfunctioned. She did confirm that it's a point violation! I guess if I was stupid enough to make a left turn on the tracks when it's red I would deserve that ticket but I 100% was going straight the whole time, so it was probably for someone else or the camera malfunctioned!
Well, then you either need to get yourself a lawyer, or fight it yourself. Take all necessary photos to prove your case.

LashLaRue

Experience speaking:
You will receive a letter in the mail with pictures of you doing it. There will be a link to VIDEO of you doing it. The fine is like $500. Plus "fees" that make it $700. Yep, $700.
In my case, I went to the Court clerk to take care of it. I was NOT IN THE SYSTEM. Tried again a few weeks later, NOT IN THE SYSTEM. Try online, NOT IN THE SYSTEM. Went frequently to the courthouse and tried online endlessly, no luck, MADE SURE to go to courthouse on the date on my ticket, NOT IN THE SYSTEM, so the clerk gave me a form proving that I showed up on my court date, just in case. There was no way of knowing what judge, what courtroom, because I wasn't IN THE SYSTEM!

I kept trying online, never in the system, then starting recieving notices from the Court Clerk that I had FAILED TO APPEAR. Went back to courthouse, asked clerk about it, they said yeh, you didn't appear, your fine is now $1000. They said either pay us the thousand bucks now or demand a trial date, which I did. When I went to trial finally, the judge wound up charging me $340 and let me off the failure to appear BECAUSE THE COURT COMPUTERS WENT DOWN right at the moment I had to plead on that charge. She said we have to move along, too many people waiting, charge dismissed. Unbelievable, but lucky for me. She said it had happened the day before too!

Now here's the even shittier part of the story: I asked 2 lawyers who had been up before the judge before me about my red light ticket. They both said it's a scam perpetrated by the private company in Phoenix that runs the cameras, if I had totally ignored it, the whole thing would drop off my record if it never got in the system in one year. BUT: if you get another ticket later, the red light thing COULD pop up and then they get you for at least $1000, or even more if the judge thinks you were purposely failing to appear for 2 or 3 years.

@@@@ing nightmare.

Last edited:

Dave Styles

I'm assuming yours wasn't a Metro Relight ticket? If it's not a Metro it will be best to ignore it.

Experience speaking:
You will receive a letter in the mail with pictures of you doing it. There will be a link to VIDEO of you doing it. The fine is like $500. Plus "fees" that make it $700. Yep, $700.
In my case, I went to the Court clerk to take care of it. I was NOT IN THE SYSTEM. Tried again a few weeks later, NOT IN THE SYSTEM. Try online, NOT IN THE SYSTEM. Went frequently to the courthouse and tried online endlessly, no luck, MADE SURE to go to courthouse on the date on my ticket, NOT IN THE SYSTEM, so the clerk gave me a form proving that I showed up on my court date, just in case. There was no way of knowing what judge, what courtroom, because I wasn't IN THE SYSTEM!

I kept trying online, never in the system, then starting recieving notices from the Court Clerk that I had FAILED TO APPEAR. Went back to courthouse, asked clerk about it, they said yeh, you didn't appear, your fine is now $1000. They said either pay us the thousand bucks now or demand a trial date, which I did. When I went to trial finally, the judge wound up charging me $340 and let me off the failure to appear BECAUSE THE COURT COMPUTERS WENT DOWN right at the moment I had to plead on that charge. She said we have to move along, too many people waiting, charge dismissed. Unbelievable, but lucky for me. She said it had happened the day before too!

Now here's the even shittier part of the story: I asked 2 lawyers who had been up before the judge before me about my red light ticket. They both said it's a scam perpetrated by the private company in Phoenix that runs the cameras, if I had totally ignored it, the whole thing would drop off my record if it never got in the system in one year. BUT: if you get another ticket later, the red light thing COULD pop up and then they get you for at least $1000, or even more if the judge thinks you were purposely failing to appear for 2 or 3 years.

&%[email protected]!*ing nightmare.

Collin1000

You should be able to get a video of the violation. Not all of the cameras do this but I know the newer ones do. If your ticket was issued by the Redflex contractor, you might be able to view the photo/video online- https://www.photonotice.com

That might have the evidence you're looking for that you did not make a left turn.

Alternatively, you might have Uber GPS data (if you were on a ride) or Sherpashare/MileIQ data (if you use it) proving you did not make a left there. Consider your own evidence options.

(Note to future people viewing this thread, If you're planning on ignoring your ticket, DO NOT look up the ticket online, but since OP has a Metro ticket, as we've discussed it's advised NOT to ignore those)

AS880

why MTA is different? Same rule for all camera ticket right?
I got the same MTA orange line @woodland hills(took right turn on RED @night time the sign is not visible and visitor)
confused... Ignore or Is it worth fight it? please advise.

Boycottpool

In downtown Los Angeles on 1st and Anderson there's several red light cameras with no intersection and there trees covering the lights. I never saw a red light and question if the red light camera malfunctioned. I heard in Los Angeles red light camera tickets don't go on your record will Lyft or Uber be notified that you got one? I also read you can't ignore Metro red light tickets so now I'm confused!
Google help I got a ticket. That guy has some good info on how to beat tickets