I drove around Atlanta with my GoPro last night, enjoy.

YouEvenLyftBruh

Just one night of action, people would be mind blown at what we see in any given regular week!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::p:rolleyes:
I don't want to sound mean, but...

...you have enough money for a gopro, but you don't have enough money to get an hd nightvision camera?

otherwise, cool video bro! keep up the good work!

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
Oh cool! I'm actually from Rockford IL :wink:
Ya I heard you say that to a pax.

I liked watching your video because you do a good job at small talk / empathizing. My problem is if I talk too much I will end up getting excited and talking over / interrupting people or even missing turns because I'm distracted. So instead of tactfully interjecting content/opinions (like you're good at) I keep my comments brief and ask a lot of questions that lead the pax to talk about themselves.

nick caronn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ya I heard you say that to a pax.

I liked watching your video because you do a good job at small talk / empathizing. My problem is if I talk too much I will end up getting excited and talking over / interrupting people or even missing turns because I'm distracted. So instead of tactfully interjecting content/opinions (like you're good at) I keep my comments brief and ask a lot of questions that lead the pax to talk about themselves.
Thanks! I appreciate it! Yah, thats years of customer service experience, 2 years in a call center, followed by 7 years of bartending :wink:

nick caronn

I don't want to sound mean, but...

...you have enough money for a gopro, but you don't have enough money to get an hd nightvision camera?

otherwise, cool video bro! keep up the good work!

I upgraded cameras. Trying a better go-pro first I just think it would be cool to not have to be black/white night vison

YouEvenLyftBruh

I upgraded cameras. Trying a better go-pro first I just think it would be cool to not have to be black/white night vison
Yeah, the tint is something they add later, like some nightvision cameras will be green and such.

And I'm not entirely sure but I think the way it works is that the 'night' vision is enabled by shining a single wavelength of light invisible to us, but visible to the camera.

I bet they could probably shine a bunch of wavelengths out that are invisible and then create a more realistic color image, but I'm also sure this would cost a lot more money. I wonder if someone has invented something like this yet...

=====

did some research, it's an interesting topic:

Apparently, there are two main ways of achieving night vision.

1. An external light source which emits invisible infrared light is then picked up by camera and converted to a visible image. (this is the type which a rideshare drive can afford.

"Infrared (IR) is light that is just outside the wavelength of what humans can see. This makes it a covert illumination option that isn’t visible to the human eye but can be read by a camera sensor and converted to a clear black-and-white image"
source: https://www.infinitioptics.com/technology/zlid

Different Infrared Wavelengths used in Night Vision Technology https://www.larsonelectronics.com/a...elengths-used-in-night-vision-technology.aspx
2. The second kind takes in existing light, such as say, starlight and boosts it thousands of times... thisi is also super expensive tech right now, but it also shows you color like you were saying.

This is What a Color Night Vision Camera Can See in Near Darkness
https://petapixel.com/2015/12/03/this-is-what-a-color-night-vision-camera-can-see-in-near-darkness

This is what $30,000 can get you:

And here's a comparison of expensive camera's outside my price range, but still interesting to see what's out there.

STARLIGHT NIGHT TEST X27 color Low Light night vision imaging camera sensor shootout - YouTube

Last edited:

nick caronn

Yeah, the tint is something they add later, like some nightvision cameras will be green and such.

And I'm not entirely sure but I think the way it works is that the 'night' vision is enabled by shining a single wavelength of light invisible to us, but visible to the camera.

I bet they could probably shine a bunch of wavelengths out that are invisible and then create a more realistic color image, but I'm also sure this would cost a lot more money. I wonder if someone has invented something like this yet...

=====

did some research, it's an interesting topic:

Apparently, there are two main ways of achieving night vision.

1. An external light source which emits invisible infrared light is then picked up by camera and converted to a visible image. (this is the type which a rideshare drive can afford.

"Infrared (IR) is light that is just outside the wavelength of what humans can see. This makes it a covert illumination option that isn’t visible to the human eye but can be read by a camera sensor and converted to a clear black-and-white image"
source: https://www.infinitioptics.com/technology/zlid

Different Infrared Wavelengths used in Night Vision Technology https://www.larsonelectronics.com/a...elengths-used-in-night-vision-technology.aspx
2. The second kind takes in existing light, such as say, starlight and boosts it thousands of times... thisi is also super expensive tech right now, but it also shows you color like you were saying.

This is What a Color Night Vision Camera Can See in Near Darkness
https://petapixel.com/2015/12/03/this-is-what-a-color-night-vision-camera-can-see-in-near-darkness

This is what $30,000 can get you:

And here's a comparison of expensive camera's outside my price range, but still interesting to see what's out there.

STARLIGHT NIGHT TEST X27 color Low Light night vision imaging camera sensor shootout - YouTube

Really good information!! Thanks for sharing!

I'll share what I found!

In this video I used a GoPro Hero 5, the $200 camera. I have a new video with it I am about to release, which is MUCH more visible just from simply increasing the exposure in post-production. I was able to make completely black screens show faces and outlines.

Then I returned that GoPro, and upgraded to the Hero 5 Black ( still determined to not have complete night vision ). The difference is this camera allows you to crank the ISO all the way up to 6400, which provides a much better low lite image, combined with post-production lightning, gives a really nice result! I think a few hidden ambient lights would go a long ways with quality.

The problem with using IR blasters ( The thing that allows night vision and any camera to see in the dark ) Is that if you look at your camera lens in the correct light, you will notice a completely red tint, this is a Infa Red Screen to block all IR light. This is why you cant just buy IR blasters and give your go-pro a better night image. Blocking the IR is also what contributes to the over-all quality. I recently have started working with a Go-Pro employee in real life to increase my quality, so stay tuned!