• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

I drive to Kansas City on weekends, asking for advice

kcchiefsfan1982

So, I live in Wichita, KS which is 212 miles from Kansas City....but I like to drive to Kansas City to work the weekend as an uber driver sometimes...and also enjoy the city a little bit while I am there.

So...right now, it is barely worth me going to KC from a profit standpoint...but, damn, if I could find a passenger that needed to go from Wichita to Kansas City....that would make it worth the trip and then some!

I am frustrated that there is not a better way to link Uber Drivers & Uber passengers that are making a long trip like this. I realize I can go to 'set destination' but, still, if a driver & a passenger were able to find each other days in advance...the trips could really get popular...so neither driver or passenger would be wondering if they actually will get a legit ride...

...am I correct on all this? This is all assumptions by me, but I think that is correct. Frustrating! I want to find passengers to basically pay for my trips to KC lol!!!

KK2929

Log on when you get in the car and during the entire trip back and forth.
Maybe advertise in the paper for a passenger.

Seanasaurus

I also hit up kc some weekends but I'm only forty minutes away so it's less of a struggle for me. I don't know which route you take but I'd head up to Topeka maybe and turn on destination KC from there. And then if you don't get bites turn it off, head to Lawrence and try again. Tbh even that's a reach. I usually don't get KC rides until I hit Olathe. That's when I usually turn on my available.

It would be cool if there was a better way to work that out with passenger.

kcchiefsfan1982

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I also hit up kc some weekends but I'm only forty minutes away so it's less of a struggle for me. I don't know which route you take but I'd head up to Topeka maybe and turn on destination KC from there. And then if you don't get bites turn it off, head to Lawrence and try again. Tbh even that's a reach. I usually don't get KC rides until I hit Olathe. That's when I usually turn on my available.

It would be cool if there was a better way to work that out with passenger.
I was there this last weekend for the first time...wow....I got so many rides...but, unfortunately, it only pays me .68/mile while my hometown pays .82/mile. Also, the long drives were worth it...but the short drives are barely worth it. I rarely got tipped on the short drives. A lot of them were the bar crowd & then also young adults going in to work...where they don't make much in the first place, so they don't tip...they also probably don't tip because they use uber every day to go to work and that is expensive enough!

Seanasaurus

Yeah Lawrence has a higher per mile rate than KC but when the students aren't in town there's not much going on. Today's the first day of class so I'm doing much better than I have for the past few months. It's all short rides though, it's a small town. The longest rides are like 15 minutes with no tips. I can usually make like 30-50 in tips a weekend in KC. In Lawrence I'll by lucky to make that in tips all week ?

kcchiefsfan1982

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You're fantasying a trip that might not even happen regularly if at all.
Well, the Kansas City Chiefs have (8) home games a year....so it is highly likely that each of those (8) weeks, there would be a true demand for Wichita people to want a ride to & from Kansas City for the game.

Other than that, true, I am fantasying trips....so what!! :smiles:

ZenUber

So, I live in Wichita, KS which is 212 miles from Kansas City....but I like to drive to Kansas City to work the weekend as an uber driver sometimes...and also enjoy the city a little bit while I am there.

So...right now, it is barely worth me going to KC from a profit standpoint...but, damn, if I could find a passenger that needed to go from Wichita to Kansas City....that would make it worth the trip and then some!

I am frustrated that there is not a better way to link Uber Drivers & Uber passengers that are making a long trip like this. I realize I can go to 'set destination' but, still, if a driver & a passenger were able to find each other days in advance...the trips could really get popular...so neither driver or passenger would be wondering if they actually will get a legit ride...

...am I correct on all this? This is all assumptions by me, but I think that is correct. Frustrating! I want to find passengers to basically pay for my trips to KC lol!!!
I think it’s an excellent idea. Uber could have a sort of classified page, where riders could post their PU & destination, and look for drivers and make a connection.

JPaiva

It's called craigslist...

amazinghl

Well, the Kansas City Chiefs have (8) home games a year....so it is highly likely that each of those (8) weeks, there would be a true demand for Wichita people to want a ride to & from Kansas City for the game.

Other than that, true, I am fantasying trips....so what!! :smiles:
This is also America, most household have 2 cars...