• Yasiel puig

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Suicidal pedestrians

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • 4 year olds

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hhggh

I only drove till 9 o'clock and I was annoyed out of my mind. 1st thing - something about Friday evenings make women feel the need to drown themselves in the strongest possible perfume. It's unbearable for me. I start feeling like I can't breathe. 2nd - why do pedestrians run around like they WANT to die? Wtf people like okay the big red blinking hand says NO DON'T GO! But youre just going to go anyway because @@@@ traffic I gotta go get drunk! 3rd - why do people think it's okay to jaywalk RIGHTINFRONT OF A COP, open the door of an uber while it's at a stop light and just start piling in as the driver is saying oh hey can't do this what the @@@@ are y'all doing this is illegal and there's a cop right there! As the light turns green in downtown traffic and everyone is just waiting on these entitled pieces of shit to get in their fancy uber and now everyone's stuck at this red light AGAIN because of you nasty people. I swear the pre-k students I teach are more intelligent, self aware, and well mannered than the people that come out at night.

On a positive note, I met the sweetest lady ever who gave me contact info for a job and is going to refer me for a dope high paying position. Also made over $200 which is cool.

tcc83

People do it for the money, not the pax on Friday nights. I taught pre-k for 8 years. It takes many of the same skills.

Hhggh

People do it for the money, not the pax on Friday nights. I taught pre-k for 8 years. It takes many of the same skills.
I know the money's better, but damn it's just not worth it to me. It makes me bitter. I don't want to be bitter. Lol. At least pre-k kids have some redeaming qualities. They are adorable.

Jay Dean

Lol Uber never mentioned this is no different than being a cab driver, I tune out people's shit when I drive nights, it's the only way for me.

Yankee

I know the money's better, but damn it's just not worth it to me. It makes me bitter. I don't want to be bitter. Lol. At least pre-k kids have some redeaming qualities. They are adorable.

Actually, no, the money is not always better. It's a crapshoot, so you gamble and hope its a busy night with high surges and you get lucky with pax taking long trips. The other side of it is that you often get stuck in areas with a ton of drunk/stoned people who can't find your car, too drunk to answer the damn phone, or just never show up. You cancel a lot of pax because it does not pay to wait out the 5 min just for a $5 no/show fee, and while your drunk pax are wobbling around looking for you (or not looking for you) the clock is ticking down to 0 surge. I've had Saturday nights where all I got were drunk obnoxious college students going to West Campus for $6. The potential for more $$ is there, yes, but it doesn't happen often enough to make me work late anymore. I've had far too many nights where I took home less than $50 between 12:00 - 3:00 a.m. No way in hell is that worth it, especially for the downgrade in quality of pax. Unless I'm really strapped for cash, I drive only during daylight, and since I started doing that my ratings stay up around 4.9. Nighttime driving lowers the rating (at least for guys).

TNCMinWage

I physically can't even bring myself to get near Dirty or Rainey after 9pm. Sometimes if its been a light week, I'll tell myself I'm going to drive later into the evening and head over there and make up for it money wise. But as I get closer and see the crowds, I always subconsciously head up like N. Lamar or somewhere at that hour where I know I won't get a ride! Mind games.

Back in the day (pre-U/L), I could earn as much driving each day as I could a Friday night, so it was great. No drunks in the car, no jaywalkers, no idiot guys banging on your window asking if you are "their" driver and then shouting an expletive at you if you are not, no idiot girls climbing into your car and mandating you drive them home - even though they didn't even book a ride, no doors being scraped on the ground despite you asking them to watch the curb, no $8 ride to W. Campus after sitting for a half hour waiting for surge to rise, and absolutely no barfing!

Last edited:

wilsonz83

Actually, no, the money is not always better. It's a crapshoot, so you gamble and hope its a busy night with high surges and you get lucky with pax taking long trips. The other side of it is that you often get stuck in areas with a ton of drunk/stoned people who can't find your car, too drunk to answer the damn phone, or just never show up. You cancel a lot of pax because it does not pay to wait out the 5 min just for a $5 no/show fee, and while your drunk pax are wobbling around looking for you (or not looking for you) the clock is ticking down to 0 surge. I've had Saturday nights where all I got were drunk obnoxious college students going to West Campus for $6. The potential for more $$ is there, yes, but it doesn't happen often enough to make me work late anymore. I've had far too many nights where I took home less than $50 between 12:00 - 3:00 a.m. No way in hell is that worth it, especially for the downgrade in quality of pax. Unless I'm really strapped for cash, I drive only during daylight, and since I started doing that my ratings stay up around 4.9. Nighttime driving lowers the rating (at least for guys).
agreed, big surges some time but you may get a short ride, or just collect the $4/$5 cancellation fee.

Yankee

I physically can't even bring myself to get near Dirty or Rainey after 9pm. Sometimes if its been a light week, I'll tell myself I'm going to drive later into the evening and head over there and make up for it money wise. But as I get closer and see the crowds, I always subconsciously head up like N. Lamar or somewhere at that hour where I know I won't get a ride! Mind games.

Back in the day (pre-U/L), I could earn as much driving each day as I could a Friday night, so it was great. No drunks in the car, no jaywalkers, no idiot guys banging on your window asking if you are "their" driver and then shouting an expletive at you if you are not, no idiot girls climbing into your car and mandating you drive them home - even though they didn't even book a ride, no doors being scraped on the ground despite you asking them to watch the curb, no $8 ride to W. Campus after sitting for a half hour waiting for surge to rise, and absolutely no barfing!

And lets not forget the drunk pax demanding you take them to Wata-fkg-burger at 2:30 a.m., then arguing with you when you say "no" because "I'm paying you to sit and wait" and now you're "the only driver in the world who ever said no", and now you have an automatic *1* to bring your rating down.

Mista T

Author
I'm not from Austin but I can't stop laughing, in my downtown people cross the street wherever, whenever all day and night, it's insane I'm honestly surprised the pedestrian death rate is so low here! It's like the entire downtown core of the city is treated as if it was a college campus, pedestrians entitled, the homeless are the worst its like they want to get hit so they go slower than everyone else. And don't get me started about the bicycles....

Gotta just take deep breaths and try not to hyperventilate. :smiles:

Recoup

I'm not from Austin but I can't stop laughing, in my downtown people cross the street wherever, whenever all day and night, it's insane I'm honestly surprised the pedestrian death rate is so low here! It's like the entire downtown core of the city is treated as if it was a college campus, pedestrians entitled, the homeless are the worst its like they want to get hit so they go slower than everyone else. And don't get me started about the bicycles....

Gotta just take deep breaths and try not to hyperventilate. :smiles:

LOL, lots of jaywalkers in the eighth circle of hell, eh? Are there traffic lights in hell? (silly question, I guess...)

Mista T

Author
LOL, lots of jaywalkers in the eighth circle of hell, eh? Are there traffic lights in hell? (silly question, I guess...)

He he he he

Malebolge is the layer of hell reserved for liars grifters and con artists. And since I drive for U/L, I'm smack dab in the middle of it!

In the physical world I hail from Portland OR.

Jay Dean

The only way I Drive nights is having two cameras rolling, I feel like it’s added protection from whatever drugs/booze people are on (in some strange way). I bought a dash cam two years ago and just now started to eat memory cards but bought another one for 12.99on ebay called “HD night vision camera” generic, but looks identical to one I bought and has served me well..although have never needed it, it still helps to have. I have one other camera filming me on the side in case I run into a Taco Bell executive situation or just need another recording angle, point is if you drive have a camera or cameras going, there is not a single pax yet that has had a problem with it and I could care less if they did.

CitizenDriverTx

I actually do not mind driving at night, I just had to take time to figure out the areas that made the most sense for me. I avoid downtown and airport as much as I can. But in places like Westlake, Lakeway, BeeCaves and West of Austin - Ill get pings to take them downtown or take them any where with-in 10 minutes. I might not get the surges like the inner-city but I also dont have to deal with really mean people or etc. yes I might work longer hours and perhaps never get LUX/SELECT calls as much - but I also dont go home hating the world. :smiles: