I didn't think we were EMPLOYEES

RhodyBob

The rules promulgated in MA specifically require actions that EMPLOYERS must take to make sure EMPLOYEES do things. The rules clearly state that EMPLOYERS and BUSINESSES need to do things like furnish masks and make sure their EMPLOYEES are wearing them.

We are independent contractors. We qualify for PPP loans as SELF-EMPLOYED. Each driver is a unique company with exactly ONE employee. We don't work for Uber or Lyft.

So they can impose a rule saying we must wear a mask? Granted, the state may well require this, and if we violate the law, the state may cite us. If we're not EMPLOYEES of Lyft/Uber, then they are not our EMPLOYER.

Can they tell us to wear company uniforms? A hat? Gloves?

RhodyBob

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They are imposing rules on everyone as public safety, it’s not like they are making you wear a name tag with a Uber T shirt and a hat.
The rules as published demand that EMPLOYERS require EMPLOYEES to do things. We are not EMPLOYEES, and Uber and Lyft are not our EMPLOYERS.

South Shore Driver

Well, think of it this way. The rideshare companies get all the perks of treating us like employees, but they don't need to pay us benefits.

Woo hoo!

RhodyBob

I get it but it’s a public safety requirement and not a Uber requirement.
I don't have a problem with the rules as promoted by state authorities. My problem is with Uber telling us that we have to follow its rules.

We aren't Uber employees. Uber has made that abundantly clear any other chance it gets.

We aren't McDonald's employees, so if McDonald's requires that employees do something, do we have to do that too? WE DON'T WORK FOR UBER!

FreDi Huguenin

Uber is just following the guidelines like any other business, McDonalds can actually not serve you food if you are not following these guidelines. As much you are SELF EMPLOYED, Uber can still demand that you follow government guidelines. (Like wearing your seat belt)

Uber will probably not enforce this but local authorities will, specially at Logan

RhodyBob

Again you miss the point. “McDonalds can actually not serve you...”. Exactly. McDonald’s is the employer and it can say to its EMPLOYEE, “Do not serve that person or we will terminate your employment with us.”
Post automatically merged:

I am not an Uber employee. Uber doesnt tell me to wear a seatbelt, Massachusetts does. If I’m not wearing a seatbelt the Statie does not know or care about my employment status, he hands me a ticket and Uber has nothing to do with it.

Uber is treating you like an employee.

IMMA DRIVER

@RhodyBob is correct they cannot force us to wear masks because we're not employees. What they can do is take a complaint from their customer (a pax) and then choose not to contract with a driver anymore. However; I did a quick check with Lyft and it does not say we're "required" to where a mask. It says the CDC recommends masks and a cloth covering "can be used".
As others have stated, I think they're just trying to follow guidelines to stay consistent with the information from the CDC.

Attachments

DustyToad

Both Uber and Lyft have a lot of requirements that drivers have to fulfill even though we are not their employees.

I don’t see the difference here.
We must pass a background check.
We must have a vehicle that meets Ubers requirements.
We must pickup service animals.
We must wear a mask.

I don’t get the OPs point of this thread.
If you don’t meet their requirements then they’ll
refuse to give you work and find someone else who will agree. It has always been this way.

Bonmot

The rules promulgated in MA specifically require actions that EMPLOYERS must take to make sure EMPLOYEES do things. The rules clearly state that EMPLOYERS and BUSINESSES need to do things like furnish masks and make sure their EMPLOYEES are wearing them.

We are independent contractors. We qualify for PPP loans as SELF-EMPLOYED. Each driver is a unique company with exactly ONE employee. We don't work for Uber or Lyft.

So they can impose a rule saying we must wear a mask? Granted, the state may well require this, and if we violate the law, the state may cite us. If we're not EMPLOYEES of Lyft/Uber, then they are not our EMPLOYER.

Of all the things U/L make drivers do as a condition of getting riders through their apps, you really want to get in a twist over this one?

scamp

In court cases, Uber has compared itself to Ebay where sellers and buyers are required to follow TOS or get booted.

Face masks just became part of Uber's TOS.

FreDi Huguenin

89AFDFB1-438E-4BD5-8B73-D725B5916043.png

They made me check all of these and take a picture with a mask before going ON ! I guess some drivers will refuse to put on a mask and will not be able to drive