1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

I despise anyone who works Uber as a hobby

Discussion in 'Complaints' started by Avb, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Avb

Avb Member

This is recurring in my car every other day. I pick up Pax from outer affluent suburbs and hear they talk about how "they did two trips and it was fun" or "sometimes I have nothing to do so this is fun to make a few dollars"

Part time, hobby drivers are the virus that drag down rates and keep surge down. Rookies who have time to waste and pick up every single pool. Don't get me wrong I stand by the part timers who actually need the money. Those who have no choice but to work Uber because any other job would not work with their full time job schedule. Anyone working this for fun, can suck it.

Earlier today this guy in a brand new grey $80k+ Audi A8L pulled next to me. Maybe I'm assuming but he had people in the rear seats and GPS in the front so I figure it was a ride share vehicle. The reason I'm assuming it's because I saw Teslas and BMW 7-Series with Uber stickers before that were not "livery" vehicles.

So the reason I hate and despise these people is that they're taking the business away from drivers who work full time. If you're driving a $80k car, how is $50 on Friday night going to help you? You can bash me all you want for posting this but this is common sense. Get a hobby, go have a drink, be with your family..

2. Jc.

Jc. Well-Known Member

I despise new members that post here as a hobby, while there are some of us that do this full time...

pcpackrat, emdeplam, DracoHP and 55 others like this.
  3. Cableguynoe

Cableguynoe Well-Known Member

Some people work at MacDonald's to pay their rent.
    Others that work there live with their parents and work there only to pay for their $60k Cadillac Escalade.

We all work for different reasons.

I hate you. You hate me.
    Uber on.

emdeplam, bmedle, Me'chelle and 37 others like this.
  4. Uber Crack

Uber Crack Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I despise people who despise people.

Also... Is this a counter argument to the post, "I'm sick of disgruntled full time drivers" ? (edited for clarity)

Finally - when you realize that the only person you can control is yourself, you'll be well on your way to inner peace.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  5. MadTownUberD

MadTownUberD Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I suppose I shouldn't tell you about my BMW 3 Series that I've done probably more than 500 trips in (out of 1300+ since February), and my 4.9+ rating. I've even had a few days where I've operated at a slight loss, just to keep my ratings up or move money into a separate bank account.

If you really want to get mad, read my thread "I'm Sick of Disgruntled Full Timers!".

Free market's a *****, ain't it?

6. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    You're about 43 months too late with this post. Your anger is the same as all the livery drivers in America, including Uber drivers from '09 thru '13, that were making a decent living at $5/mile with their $50k SUV's. Just as easy as you joined UberX for pennies a mile so did the rest of the 700k ignorant drivers. You have no one to blame but yourself.

7. Butterfield

Butterfield New Member

I doubt anybody's actually working only as a hobby and they don't care about the cash. If Uber offered a option for people to drive around and pick people up for free, is anybody in their right mind that would join? And pick up drunks?

8. Jc.

Jc. Well-Known Member

I would pick good looking gals

LVCharles, gbaby, Shakur and 6 others like this.
  9. MadTownUberD

Driving:
    UberX
    I never said I despised FT drivers. I said I was sick of disgruntled FT drivers (i.e. the ones who keep doing the same thing and expecting more money, while making less and less).

10. Jc.

Jc. Well-Known Member

I despise uber drivers that drive bemmers

unPat, SpeedyGonzalez11 and ratethis like this.
  11. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    No one in their right might SHOULD join, but hundreds of thousands DID join Uber. According to hundreds of posts in this forum it appears that countless Uber drivers are working for free. I mean drivers are receiving operating expenses for their vehicles, however the driver themselves are working for free. Many posts especially in the Tax sub forum state that after standard mileage deductions most drivers have a zero income.

Kalee, Paul Vincent, Rakos and 5 others like this.
  12. Uber Crack

Uber Crack Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    My apologies. I will edit my comment. I am also tired of disgruntled drivers.

Hobs, LogManNJ, Rakos and 3 others like this.
  13. MadTownUberD

Driving:
    UberX
    Good thing I used the profits I made with my Bimmer (which I paid only $10k for) to buy a used Sonata!

TexasLefty, Rakos and Trafficat like this.
  14. tomatopaste

tomatopaste Well-Known Member

But doesn't it cut both ways? Full timers that rely on Uber to pay the bills have no choice but to stay out until they have rent money. Whereas part timers, when it's just not happening say: eff this.

The answer is simple, seniority. New drivers should only be allowed on the system when demand merits. Once they have enough hours, they move into the 'drive anytime' pool. Problem is Uber has no interest in matching supply with demand. They want oversupply to keep prices down to attract as many customers as possible.

15. MadTownUberD

Driving:
    UberX
    The nice thing about driving as a profitable hobby is you can do it when it's fun, and stop when it isn't. Full Timers who need to pay bills *have to* pick up that staggering drunk, or drive while half asleep, etc. I can just say "no, I don't think so". I'm still waiting for the first pax who decides to really go toe to toe with me over something trivial, assuming I'm some kind of desperate guy....that will be interesting.

16. UbingInLA

UbingInLA Well-Known Member

Uber can't be taken seriously as a main source of income anymore - and especially with a nice car. My POS Versa is worth 3K on a good day, and I feel bad driving that car into the ground. Uber is only good for happy hour change at this point.

No one is really trying to feed a family doing this, right?

17. MadTownUberD

Driving:
    UberX
    That was the whole point of my other thread. And I got crucified for it. (Admittedly I was pretty mean)

MHR, Uber Crack and Cableguynoe like this.
  18. Cableguynoe

Cableguynoe Well-Known Member

There have been s few retired people who say they do it just to have something to do. They don't need the money.
    One that will remain nameless even refuses tips.

But yes, most do it for the money. But just like the l example I gave before about McDonald's, some Uber to save for a big vacation.
    Or some wives make their husband keep Ubering after the vacation so they could buy a Gucci purse.

Others Uber to survive.

Still, no one has more right to be out there driving than anyone else.

Jerk!

19. MadTownUberD

Driving:
    UberX
    There's a retired-ish guy in the Madison market (he may be younger than retirement age, but I'm not sure) who drives for something to do. He's on these forums sometimes and I've spoken with him at the airport...a really nice, easy going guy and he's not worried about much. Very articulate/erudite...perfect driver for a college town.

yojimboguyyojimboguy

20. keb

keb Well-Known Member

My dentist said he was going to try uber.

These people see the beautiful propaganda put out by uber and think it's a dream *side gig/hustle*. It's so cool to have a *side gig* now, when really that's just a polite way to say you are unemployed or can't pay the bills with your regular job. Remember the old term *moonlighting*. Sounds romantic, lol!

Nothing could convince him otherwise. I haven't heard from him since last visit but I hope he tried it!

I want him to see how well reality matches up with propaganda.