I can't read Korean, so why does the app allow for that in California?

OC Lady Uber Driver

My first pax were two college kids and the ride requester entered his name in Korean. I don't read Korean, I read English. I'm in California. Why does Uber allow this?

hbenaid404

You don't need to pronounce their name when you're picking up your passenger, just verify if they have put in the correct address then start driving. If they are going to a different address, that's when you should act suspicious of picking up a wrong person. If the address is blank, have them out the address on their app.

lyft_audi

I have had russian and one of the asian (unsure which, can't read it) languages show up on my app for the rider's name

Tim In Cleveland

Me too. I get Chinese characters for names outside Cleveland. The area is flooded with Chinese exchange students. Most adopt a fake American name, but not all. If Communism were fair, they wouldn't be able to afford to send their kids abroad for schooling, lol.

Spanky

I had the address show up in Korean once. That was awesome. Just followed GPS until I got in front of the pin

trickynikki

This is because the Koreans have the option when they type in their profile. Often Korean people are so much into their own group the don't realize that other people don't know Korean. 한국인 영어무무. I'm sue they don't know why you don't know Korean.

forqalso

OP, you're right. People visiting from Korea or other countries should learn English, change their name and download the American version of their Uber app before using it on their trip.

Skyblue6

Yeah happens often that people use their characters instead of our alphabet. I just politely say. "Sorry what's your name?" They respond and give me something like sook Kim and I say "thank you, I just wanted to learn how to pronounce it"

No big whoop

Baby Cakes

OP, you're right. People visiting from Korea or other countries should learn English, change their name and download the American version of their Uber app before using it on their trip.
Indeed, and just to be sure all partners should be required to start a crash course on Korean because they're not just going to give awaY .70 A mile. You gotta earn it

Oscar Levant

My first pax were two college kids and the ride requester entered his name in Korean. I don't read Korean, I read English. I'm in California. Why does Uber allow this?
Yeah, I got some japanese. I didn't know what to ask the driver insofar as his name, but he was the only japanese standing in the crowd,
so I assumed I got the right rider.