• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

I can't do this anymore

cb80907

I need to get this off my chest before I go crazy. Tonight, my time spent driving started off on a decent note...good passengers, and they were tipping for once on the Lyft app. Then, 2:30 hits. I got three guys in the car on my way to their destination, and what do we all hear? A loud popping noise, and then a thumping noise from the front of the car. I baby the car off to a nearby 7-11, and we hop out to find the tread is coming off the tire. Right before this ride even came through, there was nothing wrong with the tire. I check it several times a night out of habit, given that my area seems to be pothole capital, and there's tons of construction all along every single major route throughout the city. Either way, it's clear I'm out of commission, and I'm at least a mile and a half away from my home. After this final straw, I'm ready to snap.

Lyft, for months, has been the only job I have been able to hang onto, having been laid off from my other (part time) position late last year. And while it appears I finally have some promising prospects on my job hunt, night after night I have been behind the wheel trying to break even. I did go off the suggestion of a few others and tried with Uber, but couldn't get on board due to the age of the car (2003). So, it's been just Lyft for months and months and months, and all of what I make goes right back into bills, with a little bit going in my gas tank. And then this happens tonight. Right now, my car is sitting 1/4 of a mile down from where I live. I can't drive the damn thing because of how bad the damage to the tire was, and I do not have a single clue as to what the hell caused it to blow out like that. All I know is I have a shredded tire, and no real way to fix it until Wednesday...and with that pay period will go everything I made these past few days to both a towing company and a new tire. It's the third time in so many months that this has happened, and each time, I'm told it was mainly potholes. Honestly, with the way people drive here, I can't avoid them even on a decent night. The traffic gets ridiculously heavy throughout the entire area once the barflies come out of hiding, and most of the roads here are bad enough to where both the local newspaper and the local TV news stations are calling on the city to repave them ASAP (city says it doesn't have the money - thank you anti-tax voters).

Either way, between the roads, the lack of passengers, and the ridiculous low fare costs (almost $1 a mile here - a simple $5 ride comes to around $4), combined with these people barely tipping, if at all (actually had one passenger say to me "You guys make $5,000 a month doing this"), and bullshit like this happening to my car from driving these people around because of these roads, I can't do this anymore. I seriously @@@@ing can't. Every time I turn around and it seems like I finally have a little extra money, something like this happens and I'm right back to square one. Meanwhile, I've been frantically searching for a full time job, or even something part time, since the moment I was laid off back in November, and out of god knows how many interviews, god knows how many applications sent out, god knows how many resumes, nothing. I got two possible job prospects, maybe three, but I'm having my doubts that they will even pay out. And meanwhile, these people won't @@@@ing tip! I don't understand how in the hell they can afford a $200 to $300 bar tab, and then turn right around and not even throw even so much as a dollar or two for a $4 ride that may very well be my one and only passenger for the entire day, best efforts and strategies be damned!

And meanwhile, the @@@@@@s running the show at Lyft continue to cut rates to compete with Uber, and telling me as a driver that it's for my own @@@@ing good, but I'm still a part of a community that's changing the world? How in the hell is driving around a bunch of rich spoiled kids who can't even tip one @@@@ing dollar for a ride that costs them a fraction of what it does with a taxi cab? How?! On top of it, I and a bunch of others in the area have begged Lyft to do something, anything for marketing! A radio ad, billboard, sponsoring a local festival, something! We keep telling them if they at least try, they'll get noticed! We tell them we drivers are not having much luck promoting them, and all they do is pat us on the head and say thanks for the suggestion, we'll think about it, only to come back with outlandish ideas that never @@@@ing work! Uber is running ads on every single major radio station in the area, and what is Lyft doing? Cute sounding soundbite marketing on Twitter and Facebook, and a few ads here and there on my smartphone, ads that only pop up because Google trackers saw when I went to Lyft's website in the first place to sign up! They only pop up because I specifically had to search for their website after hearing about it from someone! Same for their name! Only pops up on Twitter or Facebook if you specifically search for them on there and like their page or follow them! They make my head want to explode, because if that's how they think advertising is done, then please, show me what drugs they are taking out in San Francisco and please show me just where in the hell they went to college for their marketing degree, if they even did that to begin with!

And this whole time, I'm busting my ass off, having to put off a lot of things in my own relationship, just to make a barely livable amount while they grow rich off the money they take out in fees and do absolutely nothing constructive with, other than apparently buying new furniture and new computers, and maybe a new car?! These bastards send me cheap [email protected]@@@ers whose word is like the word of God to their ratings department, and us drivers apparently a bunch of @@@@ing liars because their hipster customers can never do no wrong, no, it's all love and unicorns and goddamned rainbows and perfect happy people? Did these idiots NEVER @@@@ing work in anything remotely resembling a transportation company such as a taxi service or even a limo service before coming to work for Lyft? I often swear the same about Uber, as well, just from the horror stories I read from all of you on here and elsewhere! Their idiot passengers spend several nights in a row dancing at the same damn clubs, spending huge amounts on a bar tab each night, yet you're telling me they can't afford to @@@@ing tip to at least offset the fare cuts they did over everyone's objections late last year, let alone the cut Lyft takes (or Uber for that matter)?! And meanwhile, after I at least get the tire replaced on the car and back on the roads while I plow away during the daytime in search of anything I can pick up for work, I'm in absolute terror of something else going wrong with the car while I drive these idiots around, while I see the emails from Lyft about how we're getting these great discounts for being great people, people they can't even appear to @@@@ing value for at least giving their business a backbone to work off from, these emails that go on and on about golden fist bumps, changing the entire universe by apparently driving around someone drunk enough to vomit up all of his internal organs all over my @@@@ing floor, slamming my doors shut to the point where they just close right back up when open thanks to the springs now being shot, and then having the goddamn nerve to rate me a 1 star because I seriously have to account for every last penny and cannot afford to provide them with even a bottled water, or as some apparently expect a @@@@ing bottle of champagne and free wi-fi that I can't even afford to have on my phone plan? Are they goddamned kidding me?

And all this because of yet another shot tire that occurred while I was driving their happy go lucky passengers all over creation in a city where people want the streets fixed, but won't even pay up the money to do just that. [email protected]@@@ingbelievable. The most insulting part of it is that all of these efforts that led to this newest headache was for maybe $20 in rides if I'm lucky...20 @@@@ing dollars, while the dozen plus OTHER drivers that these dumbass mentors recruited out of spite towards Lyft (and for the extra $35 bonus each time they do a mentor session) swallow everything else up! I seriously want to simply email Lyft and tell them to @@@@ off with their glowstache, another thing that they seem to believe will solve all of their advertising woes, and just quit doing driving for good, consequences be damned. I seriously can't do this anymore with them, and I would be happy if so much as at least a temp service got me in somewhere. It beats driving around a bunch of cheap jackasses for a cheap company on very little sleep every goddamned day and night and watching my car begin to literally fall apart. @@@@ Lyft, @@@@ Logan Green, @@@@ John Zimmer, @@@@ Uber and @@@@ Travis Kalanick. Two of the three apparently don't know how to run a company at all, and they all show they're greedy @@@@ers willing to throw us drivers under the bus so they can buy mansion number five. Man, I'd really like to see Lyft's balance sheets. [email protected]@@@ing-teed none of that investment money they got, or any of the fees they have, is even going towards advertising. End rant. I need a drink. And a pacemaker at this rate, too.

mizzrock

I need to get this off my chest before I go crazy. Tonight, my time spent driving started off on a decent note...good passengers, and they were tipping for once on the Lyft app. Then, 2:30 hits. I got three guys in the car on my way to their destination, and what do we all hear? A loud popping noise, and then a thumping noise from the front of the car. I baby the car off to a nearby 7-11, and we hop out to find the tread is coming off the tire. Right before this ride even came through, there was nothing wrong with the tire. I check it several times a night out of habit, given that my area seems to be pothole capital, and there's tons of construction all along every single major route throughout the city. Either way, it's clear I'm out of commission, and I'm at least a mile and a half away from my home. After this final straw, I'm ready to snap.

Lyft, for months, has been the only job I have been able to hang onto, having been laid off from my other (part time) position late last year. And while it appears I finally have some promising prospects on my job hunt, night after night I have been behind the wheel trying to break even. I did go off the suggestion of a few others and tried with Uber, but couldn't get on board due to the age of the car (2003). So, it's been just Lyft for months and months and months, and all of what I make goes right back into bills, with a little bit going in my gas tank. And then this happens tonight. Right now, my car is sitting 1/4 of a mile down from where I live. I can't drive the damn thing because of how bad the damage to the tire was, and I do not have a single clue as to what the hell caused it to blow out like that. All I know is I have a shredded tire, and no real way to fix it until Wednesday...and with that pay period will go everything I made these past few days to both a towing company and a new tire. It's the third time in so many months that this has happened, and each time, I'm told it was mainly potholes. Honestly, with the way people drive here, I can't avoid them even on a decent night. The traffic gets ridiculously heavy throughout the entire area once the barflies come out of hiding, and most of the roads here are bad enough to where both the local newspaper and the local TV news stations are calling on the city to repave them ASAP (city says it doesn't have the money - thank you anti-tax voters).

Either way, between the roads, the lack of passengers, and the ridiculous low fare costs (almost $1 a mile here - a simple $5 ride comes to around $4), combined with these people barely tipping, if at all (actually had one passenger say to me "You guys make $5,000 a month doing this"), and bullshit like this happening to my car from driving these people around because of these roads, I can't do this anymore. I seriously @@@@ing can't. Every time I turn around and it seems like I finally have a little extra money, something like this happens and I'm right back to square one. Meanwhile, I've been frantically searching for a full time job, or even something part time, since the moment I was laid off back in November, and out of god knows how many interviews, god knows how many applications sent out, god knows how many resumes, nothing. I got two possible job prospects, maybe three, but I'm having my doubts that they will even pay out. And meanwhile, these people won't @@@@ing tip! I don't understand how in the hell they can afford a $200 to $300 bar tab, and then turn right around and not even throw even so much as a dollar or two for a $4 ride that may very well be my one and only passenger for the entire day, best efforts and strategies be damned!

And meanwhile, the @@@@@@s running the show at Lyft continue to cut rates to compete with Uber, and telling me as a driver that it's for my own @@@@ing good, but I'm still a part of a community that's changing the world? How in the hell is driving around a bunch of rich spoiled kids who can't even tip one @@@@ing dollar for a ride that costs them a fraction of what it does with a taxi cab? How?! On top of it, I and a bunch of others in the area have begged Lyft to do something, anything for marketing! A radio ad, billboard, sponsoring a local festival, something! We keep telling them if they at least try, they'll get noticed! We tell them we drivers are not having much luck promoting them, and all they do is pat us on the head and say thanks for the suggestion, we'll think about it, only to come back with outlandish ideas that never @@@@ing work! Uber is running ads on every single major radio station in the area, and what is Lyft doing? Cute sounding soundbite marketing on Twitter and Facebook, and a few ads here and there on my smartphone, ads that only pop up because Google trackers saw when I went to Lyft's website in the first place to sign up! They only pop up because I specifically had to search for their website after hearing about it from someone! Same for their name! Only pops up on Twitter or Facebook if you specifically search for them on there and like their page or follow them! They make my head want to explode, because if that's how they think advertising is done, then please, show me what drugs they are taking out in San Francisco and please show me just where in the hell they went to college for their marketing degree, if they even did that to begin with!

And this whole time, I'm busting my ass off, having to put off a lot of things in my own relationship, just to make a barely livable amount while they grow rich off the money they take out in fees and do absolutely nothing constructive with, other than apparently buying new furniture and new computers, and maybe a new car?! These bastards send me cheap [email protected]@@@ers whose word is like the word of God to their ratings department, and us drivers apparently a bunch of @@@@ing liars because their hipster customers can never do no wrong, no, it's all love and unicorns and goddamned rainbows and perfect happy people? Did these idiots NEVER @@@@ing work in anything remotely resembling a transportation company such as a taxi service or even a limo service before coming to work for Lyft? I often swear the same about Uber, as well, just from the horror stories I read from all of you on here and elsewhere! Their idiot passengers spend several nights in a row dancing at the same damn clubs, spending huge amounts on a bar tab each night, yet you're telling me they can't afford to @@@@ing tip to at least offset the fare cuts they did over everyone's objections late last year, let alone the cut Lyft takes (or Uber for that matter)?! And meanwhile, after I at least get the tire replaced on the car and back on the roads while I plow away during the daytime in search of anything I can pick up for work, I'm in absolute terror of something else going wrong with the car while I drive these idiots around, while I see the emails from Lyft about how we're getting these great discounts for being great people, people they can't even appear to @@@@ing value for at least giving their business a backbone to work off from, these emails that go on and on about golden fist bumps, changing the entire universe by apparently driving around someone drunk enough to vomit up all of his internal organs all over my @@@@ing floor, slamming my doors shut to the point where they just close right back up when open thanks to the springs now being shot, and then having the goddamn nerve to rate me a 1 star because I seriously have to account for every last penny and cannot afford to provide them with even a bottled water, or as some apparently expect a @@@@ing bottle of champagne and free wi-fi that I can't even afford to have on my phone plan? Are they goddamned kidding me?

And all this because of yet another shot tire that occurred while I was driving their happy go lucky passengers all over creation in a city where people want the streets fixed, but won't even pay up the money to do just that. [email protected]@@@ingbelievable. The most insulting part of it is that all of these efforts that led to this newest headache was for maybe $20 in rides if I'm lucky...20 @@@@ing dollars, while the dozen plus OTHER drivers that these dumbass mentors recruited out of spite towards Lyft (and for the extra $35 bonus each time they do a mentor session) swallow everything else up! I seriously want to simply email Lyft and tell them to @@@@ off with their glowstache, another thing that they seem to believe will solve all of their advertising woes, and just quit doing driving for good, consequences be damned. I seriously can't do this anymore with them, and I would be happy if so much as at least a temp service got me in somewhere. It beats driving around a bunch of cheap jackasses for a cheap company on very little sleep every goddamned day and night and watching my car begin to literally fall apart. @@@@ Lyft, @@@@ Logan Green, @@@@ John Zimmer, @@@@ Uber and @@@@ Travis Kalanick. Two of the three apparently don't know how to run a company at all, and they all show they're greedy @@@@ers willing to throw us drivers under the bus so they can buy mansion number five. Man, I'd really like to see Lyft's balance sheets. [email protected]@@@ing-teed none of that investment money they got, or any of the fees they have, is even going towards advertising. End rant. I need a drink. And a pacemaker at this rate, too.
That was beautiful. I'd be the first to say let's email that to their support staff!

cb80907

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That was beautiful. I'd be the first to say let's email that to their support staff!
I'm damn near tempted to do just that. I've watched them drop the ball again and again in my area, and I know damn well I'm not the only driver in the entire region who is struggling to make ends meet while we look for actual, real work. Their last brilliant idea for marketing? Refer a business that will pay for their employees to use Lyft to get to and from work and you will get $300! I swear to god reading that entire bit almost gave me a heart attack. It showed exactly what they were thinking: they were just assuming their ideas would work here. It also showed that they do not know how to do actual research, which in part involves talking to drivers on the ground who know the areas they live in and the mentality. Honestly, are they batshit insane for thinking that an area chock full of banks, call centers, military contractors and other related sectors, all of whom would fire you in a heartbeat or not even consider you for employment if you are incapable of getting to and from work on your own dime, would jump at this? They would call it socialist in this area and mock us or demonize us for even suggesting the idea! It's insane what Lyft HQ does in San Francisco! And I said before, they don't @@@@ing advertise in smart ways! At the rate they're going, they'll bury themselves in no time with the epic disconnect between us drivers and the Shiny Happy Carefree Higher Than A Kite Hippies who are at the top! Honestly, I'm at a point where I look at the phone and ask myself do I even want to bother logging on to deal with risking more problems with my car in exchange for maybe $200 a week, maybe less, if I'm lucky? I really, really hope to god another job comes up soon. I really, truly do. Another tire destroyed from driving these jackasses around every goddamned night, but would they give a damn there? @@@@ no, minion, you're part of a community! $1 a mile means more profit! A 50% cut off that $1 a mile is good for you, it leads to more profit! And yet people here don't @@@@ing know Lyft exists because we as drivers don't have very good support from them to conduct at least our own advertising, or even offers any single incentive for new passengers! Why the hell didn't they take us seriously when we said we had three golden deals with two universities and one major community college here?! Did they not see the long term benefits there? No, they @@@@ing refused to honor it and said sorry, we have other plans, and those other plans were laughable because they didn't want to conduct any real advertising! No, social media, dude-bro! It's the way of the future! I almost feel like I'm ramming my skull into a wall when it comes to Lyft and Uber, because to them we're apparently a commodity, robots who are all happy little worker bees with loads and loads of money in our pockets! Honest to god do they even read those little weekly statements they send out? Do they even read the daily statements? I swear to god if I wanted to get @@@@ed like this without even the benefit of at least lube, I would go into porn! At least there you know you're getting @@@@ed and can expect pay that you can count on from it! With these people, you never @@@@ing know from week to week!

UBERxGc

Sorry I did not read the whole thing. I stopped at where you said you needed a tow truck to get the car to your home and mentioned you couldn't have the car fixed for a few days. Is a flat tyre actually causing all this drama? I'm confused.

Another Uber Driver

^^^The flat tyre was the proverbial straw that broke the back of the proverbial camel. New tyres cost at least ninety greenbacks, here, although if there is a decent used tyre joint near you, sometime you can get a decent used one for forty, fifty, sixty-five, or so greenbacks. There is one used tyre joint out in the suburbs with whose Manager I happen to be on good terms. This guy knows his tyres. He always picks out good ones for me, even if I must pay more for them. I do not have plans to put them onto my two newer cars, but I will use them for one of the older cars. I used to put them on my cab and never had any trouble.

Lyft does advertise on METRObus, here. I see adverts on various sites, but that might be targeted advertising.

At the current rates, rideshare is fine of you are between jobs and need a little cashflow to hold you over until your employment resumes. It is fine, as well, if you want some extra money to pay your bar bills, go to a show or go to a game. If you are going to try to go more than ninety days on this to pay the bills, you will run into trouble. Ninety days, as it is, is pushing it. At some point, I do expect that it will get better, but it will take at least two years for that. Better pay will come only after some regulation. At some point, the jurisdictions are going to remember the reasons that they started to regulate those that carried passengers in motor vehicles for compensation. At that point, the TNCs will have to raise the rates to allow for the cost of complying with regulations.

A twelve year old car used for this kind of thing is going to have problems. For years, there was no age limit on the cabs here. It did not take me long to discover, however, that the fewer miles that I had on a car when I started it as a cab, the less time that it spent in the shop. I watched too many guys with older cars spend too much time in and too much money at the shop. In addition, I saw the real hoopties that the fleet owners who rented older cars versus those who had newer. The older rental cars always broke down more frequently. It is simply the nature of the proverbial beast.

It got to the point where I would not put on anything older than three years. My most recent cars have been new. The several before that were one year old. One thing to remember about being in this kind of business full time: every time that your car goes to the shop, you lose TWICE: once for the mechanic bill; once for the time that you could be picking up customers but are in the shop, instead. One of the grand things about doing this part time is that the car can go to the shop while I am at my regular job. Preventative maintenance and keeping an eye on the car are imperative. If you notice something amiss, take care of it immediately. If you can see a problem's developing, often you can get away with driving it for the rest of the day/night, and turn it into the mechanic on your way home, then pick it up when you are ready to go back to work. That keeps the double loss to a minimum.

Oh My

Uber and Lyft in sunny California don't take into account the below picture in $hitcago in their current rate structure. Now get this....I pick-up this uppity young couple at an auto-repair shop at 1030pm where they left their car that was rendered undriveable because of construction potholes, exposed iron manhole covers. They want me to drive them back to the scene of the crime so they can take pictures. I said, "Let me get this straight. You just tore up YOUR car on that road but want me to drive MY car down it?!". I took them to the edge of the catastrophic site and the @@@@@ handed me $10 while her man went out to take pictures.

Do NOT put up with their shit. Quit driving for them.
20150706_150407~2-1.jpg

P.S. This is one of $hitcago's "better" neighborhoods known as Lincoln Park. At least they have a Starbucks on every corner because that's all that matters anyway.

UberHammer

Past Sponsor
If you do this job the way Uber expects drivers to do this job, you will not be profitable... and worse yet, you won't know your not profitable until you can't afford to repair or replace your car after the beating it takes in this kind of work.

If you do not have a strategy to avoid the rotten lemon requests Uber's system spits out at you, the situation the OP is in is the eventual destination you are headed to. The question of when is determined by how much equity you have in your car and bank account for Uber to suck from you.

Sacto Burbs

Every market pays drivers for referring new passengers. Hustle. Go to the festivals yourself and hand out chits that you printed yourself - go to the bus stops during the morning rush and hand them out. A template is on the Lyft sub forum.

Try holding a sign that says

You need a backup for Uber
Try Lyft

Promo Code : xxxx

Choose a catchy promo code via the Lyft website - sitting in your car and whining is not the only option.

Edited for clarity

Last edited:

Emp9

im all for being fed up with "ride sharing" however one has to factor wear and tear into costs. this is why i would refuse to work for under $1 a mile. id be a little upset but i dont know i could blame it on uber and lyft.

cb80907

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
To clarify, yes, I had a spare...several weeks ago when yet another pothole took out one of my other tires. I haven't had the money to replace it, and then that happened last night. Over $150 later, having spent money I don't have to get a tow truck to get the car over to the nearest Discount Tire, and another $112 for the cost of a replacement tire, and I'm seething. Lyft was originally something I did on the side until last fall when I was laid off indefinitely from my job. Since then, I've been looking for another job while doing solely Lyft. That flat tire last night was the straw that broke the camel's back. As far as Sacto Burb's idea goes, it hasn't worked in my market. There has been zero incentive since last October for new passengers to sign up. Zero...no ride credits, nothing. With the bus system here, almost everyone who relies on it does so out of lack of money. There's a very underfunded transit system here, and in much of the city, it's a 9 to 5 mentality, with all but a few select bus routes ending service at 6:15 PM. Most of these people I saw from personal experience don't even have a smartphone - I had to take the bus around the entire city a few months ago when I wasn't even bringing in anything from the driving, and didn't have enough for gas. As I said above, we're clearly a disposable commodity in the eyes of both Uber and Lyft, and the sooner I can make an exit, the better. Emp9, I also am factoring in wear and tear into costs, and right there I don't even make enough to completely cover that. Clearly, what really matters to both companies are the ability to beat one another senseless in a pointless battle over market dominance, when many, many drivers out there are already driving for both Uber and Lyft, and what their passengers think. Don't believe me? Watch what happens every time they even think of trying to raise the cost of fares - the passengers freak the @@@@ out and bombard both companies with threats to completely leave the service altogether because even so much as $1.20 a mile is still too much for a bunch of royal @@@@@@@@ who somehow are able to afford hundreds of dollars in alcohol at a bar seemingly every night, but not enough for a $5 ride that may or may not include a tip. There's so many factors beyond the nightmarish cost in car repairs alone that is working to discourage me from even wanting to drive so much as one single more passenger around again that counting them off alone would take days. Literally days. I swear to god if any of the three employers I interviewed with make a job offer to me next week, I will seriously cry like a little girl, and follow that up by sending Lyft their stupid @@@@ing glowstache in the mail with the following attached note: "Take your little glowstache and shove it up your ass - maybe it will help turn on a few lightbulbs in your brains!" Basically, my way of quitting with no @@@@s given.

Micmac

Uber and Lyft in sunny California don't take into account the below picture in $hitcago in their current rate structure. Now get this....I pick-up this uppity young couple at an auto-repair shop at 1030pm where they left their car that was rendered undriveable because of construction potholes, exposed iron manhole covers. They want me to drive them back to the scene of the crime so they can take pictures. I said, "Let me get this straight. You just tore up YOUR car on that road but want me to drive MY car down it?!". I took them to the edge of the catastrophic site and the @@@@@ handed me $10 while her man went out to take pictures.

Do NOT put up with their shit. Quit driving for them.View attachment 11742

P.S. This is one of $hitcago's "better" neighborhoods known as Lincoln Park. At least they have a Starbucks on every corner because that's all that matters anyway.
That s a f*cktacago street .

Cou-ber

To clarify, yes, I had a spare...several weeks ago when yet another pothole took out one of my other tires. I haven't had the money to replace it, and then that happened last night. Over $150 later, having spent money I don't have to get a tow truck to get the car over to the nearest Discount Tire, and another $112 for the cost of a replacement tire, and I'm seething. Lyft was originally something I did on the side until last fall when I was laid off indefinitely from my job. Since then, I've been looking for another job while doing solely Lyft. That flat tire last night was the straw that broke the camel's back. As far as Sacto Burb's idea goes, it hasn't worked in my market. There has been zero incentive since last October for new passengers to sign up. Zero...no ride credits, nothing. With the bus system here, almost everyone who relies on it does so out of lack of money. There's a very underfunded transit system here, and in much of the city, it's a 9 to 5 mentality, with all but a few select bus routes ending service at 6:15 PM. Most of these people I saw from personal experience don't even have a smartphone - I had to take the bus around the entire city a few months ago when I wasn't even bringing in anything from the driving, and didn't have enough for gas. As I said above, we're clearly a disposable commodity in the eyes of both Uber and Lyft, and the sooner I can make an exit, the better. Emp9, I also am factoring in wear and tear into costs, and right there I don't even make enough to completely cover that. Clearly, what really matters to both companies are the ability to beat one another senseless in a pointless battle over market dominance, when many, many drivers out there are already driving for both Uber and Lyft, and what their passengers think. Don't believe me? Watch what happens every time they even think of trying to raise the cost of fares - the passengers freak the @@@@ out and bombard both companies with threats to completely leave the service altogether because even so much as $1.20 a mile is still too much for a bunch of royal @@@@@@@@ who somehow are able to afford hundreds of dollars in alcohol at a bar seemingly every night, but not enough for a $5 ride that may or may not include a tip. There's so many factors beyond the nightmarish cost in car repairs alone that is working to discourage me from even wanting to drive so much as one single more passenger around again that counting them off alone would take days. Literally days. I swear to god if any of the three employers I interviewed with make a job offer to me next week, I will seriously cry like a little girl, and follow that up by sending Lyft their stupid @@@@ing glowstache in the mail with the following attached note: "Take your little glowstache and shove it up your ass - maybe it will help turn on a few lightbulbs in your brains!" Basically, my way of quitting with no @@@@s given.
Get the tow truck option on your insurance...are you sure you don't have it?? Very reasonably priced. Go to a junk yard and find your car and buy a full sized spare. Have a friend take you to a tire shop and then drop you off at your car and change the darn thing. Shoot, slip some chump at Discount Tire a $20 spot and have him hook you up with a wheel. They'll do it discreetly. Ya gotta think outside the box bubba and hustle more.

Cou-ber

Get the tow truck option on your insurance...are you sure you don't have it?? Very reasonably priced. Go to a junk yard and find your car and buy a full sized spare. Have a friend take you to a tire shop and then drop you off at your car and change the darn thing. Shoot, slip some chump at Discount Tire a $20 spot and have him hook you up with a wheel. They'll do it discreetly. Ya gotta think outside the box bubba and hustle more.
Good news is you can claim it as a biz expense on your taxes:/