1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Featured I bought Honda Insight 2019 for uber

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Newbie3477, Sep 13, 2018.

?
  1. Yes for sure

197 vote(s)
    73.2%
  2. Yes

23 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. It is hard to say either yes or no

30 vote(s)
    11.2%
  4. No

14 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. No, never

5 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. Next time spend only $5k on a 10 year old Camry or Corolla.

melusine3 likes this.
  2. UbeeDubee

UbeeDubee

Driving:
    UberX
    New car purchase aside...you should not be interested in driving at night and picking up the drunks and freaks in your area. A woman can get herself into a ton of trouble doing that. Even the better neighborhoods can become a nightmare for a woman. I'm a guy and I won't drive after it gets dark...don't want to chance getting puke or pee or other 'stuff' on the leather seats in my car.

As far as the new car. Well, if you've already bought it, you've dug a hole for yourself that will be nearly impossible to get out of. If you're still considering it, DON'T DO IT. I went to a used car auction, stole a 2015 Mazda 6 Touring sedan with 18k on the odometer for $9500. Been driving it for 6 months and its already got 53k on it and depreciation value is probably about down to $8500 or so. But since I paid so little for it, with this mileage it's still worth more that I paid. I only drive 3-4 hours a day, 7 days week (wife recently died and the weekends are empty for me anyway).

Whatever you decide to do good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  3. Christinebitg

Christinebitg

Driving:
    UberX
    How do you evaluate them? I can find the auctions, but I think you can only start the cars, not drive them around. What do you look for in evaluating them?

I'm so sorry! Please accept my deepest sympathy.

Christine

4. I am sorry for your loss.

5. I think it was a good decision and will make you a lot of money because there are people who rely solely on over. And if you want to avoid drunken people, then avoid driving may be in the dawn time.

6. 300Miles

300Miles

Driving:
    UberX
    You are correct. You can't drive them, but you can start them. What to look for is funky sounds from the car. Scarey clacking is probably a serpentine belt, which is cheap. If RPMs rev above say 1500 (on the left of speedometer) engine issue, means engine is probably past it and sucking gas. If it sputters, likely fuel pump (expensive) or alternator ($120). Move the gears from P to N to D to R even though you're not moving. If it is a hard sticking thing, knocking, or it moves like butter it's a transmission issue--avoid, expensive. Press through the mileage button that sticks out from speedometer as it will likely have the last average mpg, giving you a sense of what kind of mileage to expect. lights and bits not working--Look under the hood for chewed wires from rodent infestation. This is like $300. Check fluids. Red transmission fluid, good. Black or milky transmission fluid very bad. If oil is completely empty and not just low, bad. Generally mileage should be about $26K. Tires: Take a penny and place it head down in tire tread-if it goes beyond Lincoln's forehead to his eyes, it needs new tires. The cheapest place to buy tires in America is tires-easy dot com. Warranties go for 3 years/36K miles generally so if it's under this, much can be fixed for free. Good luck

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Christinebitg likes this.
  7. Christinebitg

Christinebitg

Driving:
    UberX
    Thanks, that was a great description! I appreciate it.

300Miles likes this.
  8. 300Miles

300Miles

Driving:
    UberX
    My pleasure. Also, once you buy tires from tire-easy--I go through 2 sets per year and paid $168 for 4 new ones, delivered--the place to get them installed is costco, which charges $15 per tire.

Christinebitg likes this.
  9. Definitely this could happen. I know from a family member that an extended warranty claim was denied because of his driving for uber

10. You spent $29K on a brand new car for Uber?

11. vtcomics

vtcomics

Depreciation update: according to my cancelations that I just pulled out of my fat a** you're down roughly $12k on the investment to date. Next update in 6 months.