• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

I bought Honda Insight 2019 for uber

Was my decision of buying new Honda Insight for uber considered insane?

• Yes for sure

Votes: 198 73.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 23 8.5%
  • It is hard to say either yes or no

Votes: 30 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • No, never

Votes: 5 1.9%

• Total voters

LakerLeBron

Yes, I bought a Honda Insight(Hybrid car) Touring package 2019 (Almost $28~29k) for full time Uber and some people might think I'm crazy. However, all the options that I added for this car made me a lot more comfortable if I drive in a high way for a long time.

First, I wanted to get a used Prius that costed about $15k, but I did not want to care about something goes wrong with an used car. Also, even if I pay 15k for used Prius, if something breaks and I begin to spend money, it'll eventually go up to $17~18k. Plus new cars come with the basic warranty + extended warranty.

Would you suggest me to avoid poor cities and not to take drunken people by avoid driving at midnight in the beginning of Uber?
As long as I take passengers from middle or higher class town, I thought it would be safe and keep my car clean.

Was my decision of buying this car for Uber really crazy???
Let me know if my decision was good or bad and I'll be appreciated if I can get some advices from you considering my situations.
Next time spend only $5k on a 10 year old Camry or Corolla.

UbeeDubee

New car purchase aside...you should not be interested in driving at night and picking up the drunks and freaks in your area. A woman can get herself into a ton of trouble doing that. Even the better neighborhoods can become a nightmare for a woman. I'm a guy and I won't drive after it gets dark...don't want to chance getting puke or pee or other 'stuff' on the leather seats in my car.

As far as the new car. Well, if you've already bought it, you've dug a hole for yourself that will be nearly impossible to get out of. If you're still considering it, DON'T DO IT. I went to a used car auction, stole a 2015 Mazda 6 Touring sedan with 18k on the odometer for $9500. Been driving it for 6 months and its already got 53k on it and depreciation value is probably about down to $8500 or so. But since I paid so little for it, with this mileage it's still worth more that I paid. I only drive 3-4 hours a day, 7 days week (wife recently died and the weekends are empty for me anyway).

Whatever you decide to do good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Last edited:

LakerLeBron

New car purchase aside...you should not be interested in driving at night and picking up the drunks and freaks in your area. A woman can get herself into a ton of trouble doing that. Even the better neighborhoods can become a nightmare for a woman. I'm a guy and I won't drive after it gets dark...don't want to chance getting puke or pee or other 'stuff' on the leather seats in my car.

As far as the new car. Well, if you've already bought it, you've dug a hole for yourself that will be nearly impossible to get out of. If you're still considering it, DON'T DO IT. I went to a used car auction, stole a 2015 Mazda 6 Touring sedan with 18k on the odometer for $9500. Been driving it for 6 months and its already got 53k on it and depreciation value is probably about down to $8500 or so. But since I paid so little for it, with this mileage it's still worth more that I paid. I only drive 3-4 hours a day, 7 days week (wife recently died and the weekends are empty for me anyway).

Whatever you decide to do good luck and I hope it works out for you.

I am sorry for your loss.

James Robbins

I think it was a good decision and will make you a lot of money because there are people who rely solely on over. And if you want to avoid drunken people, then avoid driving may be in the dawn time.

300Miles

How do you evaluate them? I can find the auctions, but I think you can only start the cars, not drive them around. What do you look for in evaluating them?

I'm so sorry! Please accept my deepest sympathy.

Christine
You are correct. You can't drive them, but you can start them. What to look for is funky sounds from the car. Scarey clacking is probably a serpentine belt, which is cheap. If RPMs rev above say 1500 (on the left of speedometer) engine issue, means engine is probably past it and sucking gas. If it sputters, likely fuel pump (expensive) or alternator ($120). Move the gears from P to N to D to R even though you're not moving. If it is a hard sticking thing, knocking, or it moves like butter it's a transmission issue--avoid, expensive. Press through the mileage button that sticks out from speedometer as it will likely have the last average mpg, giving you a sense of what kind of mileage to expect. lights and bits not working--Look under the hood for chewed wires from rodent infestation. This is like $300. Check fluids. Red transmission fluid, good. Black or milky transmission fluid very bad. If oil is completely empty and not just low, bad. Generally mileage should be about $26K. Tires: Take a penny and place it head down in tire tread-if it goes beyond Lincoln's forehead to his eyes, it needs new tires. The cheapest place to buy tires in America is tires-easy dot com. Warranties go for 3 years/36K miles generally so if it's under this, much can be fixed for free. Good luck

Last edited:

300Miles

My pleasure. Also, once you buy tires from tire-easy--I go through 2 sets per year and paid $168 for 4 new ones, delivered--the place to get them installed is costco, which charges $15 per tire.

LAbDog65

If you have a decent warranty , then you should be okay. Just don't let them know that you drive for rideshare. Might void a few things.
Definitely this could happen. I know from a family member that an extended warranty claim was denied because of his driving for uber

wonderfulcarscent

Yes, I bought a Honda Insight(Hybrid car) Touring package 2019 (Almost $28~29k) for full time Uber and some people might think I'm crazy. However, all the options that I added for this car made me a lot more comfortable if I drive in a high way for a long time.

First, I wanted to get a used Prius that costed about $15k, but I did not want to care about something goes wrong with an used car. Also, even if I pay 15k for used Prius, if something breaks and I begin to spend money, it'll eventually go up to $17~18k. Plus new cars come with the basic warranty + extended warranty.

Would you suggest me to avoid poor cities and not to take drunken people by avoid driving at midnight in the beginning of Uber?
As long as I take passengers from middle or higher class town, I thought it would be safe and keep my car clean.

Was my decision of buying this car for Uber really crazy???
Let me know if my decision was good or bad and I'll be appreciated if I can get some advices from you considering my situations.
You spent $29K on a brand new car for Uber?

vtcomics

Depreciation update: according to my cancelations that I just pulled out of my fat a** you're down roughly $12k on the investment to date. Next update in 6 months.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
goodfella718 New York City 9
Lenny_yellow_cab New York City 33
N San Francisco 9