1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

I bought Honda Insight 2019 for uber

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Newbie3477, Sep 13, 2018 at 9:39 AM.

?
  1. Yes for sure

85 vote(s)
    78.7%
  2. Yes

6 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. It is hard to say either yes or no

12 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. No

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. No, never

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. Newbie3477

Newbie3477 New Member

Yes, I bought a Honda Insight(Hybrid car) Touring package 2019 (Almost $28~29k) for full time Uber and some people might think I'm crazy. However, all the options that I added for this car made me a lot more comfortable if I drive in a high way for a long time.

First, I wanted to get a used Prius that costed about $15k, but I did not want to care about something goes wrong with an used car. Also, even if I pay 15k for used Prius, if something breaks and I begin to spend money, it'll eventually go up to $17~18k. Plus new cars come with the basic warranty + extended warranty.

Would you suggest me to avoid poor cities and not to take drunken people by avoid driving at midnight in the beginning of Uber?
    As long as I take passengers from middle or higher class town, I thought it would be safe and keep my car clean.

Was my decision of buying this car for Uber really crazy???
    Let me know if my decision was good or bad and I'll be appreciated if I can get some advices from you considering my situations.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018 at 11:03 AM
    rideshare2870 and Cableguynoe like this.
  2. DocT

DocT Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Newbie3477Newbie3477 , welcome to UP.net forum. You'll find a wealth of information on this site.

Please brace yourself with the negative responses you'll receive. Take it with a grain of salt.

To those who are replying to the OP, keep it civilized and to the point.

3. fusionuber

fusionuber Well-Known Member

avoid hood names, and really focus on learning the different neighborhoods your picking up from, through time you will become very selective. Im not sure how much experience you have but I have 3300 not as many as most, but it took me a while to learn to be selective

4. corniilius

corniilius Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    If you have a decent warranty , then you should be okay. Just don't let them know that you drive for rideshare. Might void a few things.

HolikDad, Grahamcracker and FXService like this.
  5. Merc7186

Merc7186 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    It may seem like a good decision today but in 3 years when you still have 2+ years of payments left and the car has 150k miles on it, you will regret your decision.

Best of Luck.

6. corniilius

corniilius Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    That's the other thing. Do you have a real job or do you rely, solely on Uber?

leroy jenkins likes this.
  7. SuzeCB

SuzeCB Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    One question, but it's a biggie...

If you are deactivated, permanently or temporarily for accident, random or annual background check, or false accusation, can you afford to pay for the vehicle?

8. Newbie3477

Newbie3477 New Member

For now, solely on Uber.

9. Seamus

Seamus Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Welcome. My own opinion is that the 2019 Honda Insight is head and shoulders above the Toyota Prius C. You will rack up more mileage then you think so the extended warranty is probably a good thing. The standard warranty could be done in 6 months based on the mileage.

Your first few months will be a big learning curve. You will make every mistake we all made, the quicker you learn from them the better off you will be. Those that last figure out the best times, locations, and methods to maximize the money you can make. Those that don't learn and adapt don't last very long. Good Luck!

Christinebitg likes this.
  10. 404NofFound

404NofFound Well-Known Member

You cannot put a price on the joy of driving! Happy trails! We look forward to your input! :)

Authority, Trafficat and emdeplam like this.
  11. wontgetfooledagain

wontgetfooledagain Active Member

You made a big mistake. A $5000 used Honda, Toyota, etc. with high miles would have been a far better choice. In Ohio, you are likely to make $8 per hour driving for Uber. Start looking for a real job ASAP.

12. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Ouch.

leroy jenkins, Trafficat and Merc7186 like this.
  13. 404NofFound

404NofFound Well-Known Member

Or I could say that.

kcdrvr15 likes this.
  14. 1.5xorbust

1.5xorbust Well-Known Member

As long as you are driving for fun and don’t care about the extremely negative financial aspects it was a good choice.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018 at 1:45 PM
  15. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    I bought Honda Insight 2019 for uber

Your present is a little early for their birthday. Uber will be 10 years old in March. Hey, I'll be 57 in May. I could sure use a new set of Michelins for my Suburban. Thanks.

16. Lee239

Lee239 Well-Known Member

You bought it for Uber, yes you sure did, they are the ones who are going to benefit off of your car, labor and gas and pay you a portion back.

17. Fozzie

Fozzie Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    $29k loan with 60 month terms at a standard 3.4 rate = $526 /mo. Over 72 months that would go down to approx $446 /mo

Regardless of terms, you're probably going to be WAY over on mileage driving for Uber before the vehicle is even paid off. The only thing worse is getting a car from Uber or Lyft.

I love new cars too, but damn, that's going to be a difficult pill to swallow when you kill the car and still have 2+ years payments remaining. A cheap used Prius would have been a much better investment.

18. jgiun1

jgiun1 Well-Known Member

What's the warranty situation like on that? The miles.

I bought a car with 30k miles in April 17....up to 80k miles running full time. You might be voiding the warranty quicker than you think. I only paid a third of what you paid, and took the car for two year bank loan.

Fozzie likes this.
  19. The Gift of Fish

The Gift of Fish Well-Known Member

If I paid $29k for an Uber car, I would be needing to feel a whole lot of comfort. I'm talking naked blonde Swedish massage girls installed in the back seat; on-demand drink and snack preparation etc.

20. jgiun1

jgiun1 Well-Known Member

Wait until he loses that new car feel in about one year and odometer reading 40 miles and 62 months to go

The Gift of Fish likes this.